Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
So you all are discussing "some tactlessness" on her part from 9 months ago when she was concerned that her livelihood was threatened, and she subsequently requested (and was granted) that the promotional CDs get pulled from some websites, and publicly deciding to individually boycott her works.
I've only seen a couple people mention anything about a boycot of any kind. I think most of us were just curious about the whole situation more than anything else. I didn't like the way she kept calling the Joe/5th Imperium "The Pirate", but all it did was make me shake my head a bit.

Quote:
Maybe we should open a thread of "authors who did something or said something I didn't like" so everyone can get in on the action of suggesting we not read specific authors because of something they said instead of whether their work is any good.
If you start it, they will come. People make all kinds of decisions everyday based on things others might consider trivial or silly or whatever.

I haven't been able to read an Anne Perry book (although I do have a few) because her name always brings to mind the brutal murder she commited with a friend when she was 15. Much more serious than calling someone a pirate yes, but I've gotten crap for it from a few people.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You really need to read the thread. She claimed that she had no real way to come to the conclusion other then her book Memory which wasn't included in the CD sales went up.

As to those who think this is making mountain out of molehill please read the Sample Chapters thread. The little bit quoted in our thread isn't all she said about things.

You really need to read the thread to see why a few of us was tuned off by her attitude
Martin aka mjdb2 is an idiot. He's the one that pointed out to LMB about the CD being given away for free when all she was looking for was sample chapters.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #48
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, there's nothing too bad in that thread from LMB herself, except the mistaken labelling of fifthimperium as a pirate site. I'm not sure it's very much related to the withdrawal of the CD image, given that the thread is old. I don't know what's changed.

I'll go back to looking forward to Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #49
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Go to Baen Ebooks to the Printed Books With Cd link, there are four books in the Baen Free Library that let you download the cd iso.
That's useful to know. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post

I'd rather talk about CAPTAIN VORPATRIL'S ALLIANCE as well.

Greg Weeks
Spoiler:
Unhand Lady Vorpatril!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #51
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Kinda silly really. The whole CD is available at the usual torrent sites, or even in a Google search.

The silliest part is that it was released as a legal and "pass around/share/copy please"

Seems like "it's ok, I'm only a little bit pregnant"

The CD was released and it's license essentially begged to copy/share/give away. It s now legally at places like the Pirate Bay.

You can't unscrew that pregnancy....

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 08-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Spoiler:
Unhand Lady Vorpatril!

The first half is up. There might still be the baen bundle thread going for November.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #53
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
If sales of memory went up, I wonder if she considered that it happened because people read the free books and became hooked on the series and wanted more? That's what happened with me and Honor Harrington anyway
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #54
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post

The first half is up. There might still be the baen bundle thread going for November.

Greg Weeks

I read that in e-ARC so long ago now that I forget it's not officially out yet.

What is everyone waiting for?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
DrNefario
Wizard

The cheaper version. I'm not paying $15 for a single ebook. I don't need to read it now.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #56
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Frankly, if I had to choose between the rest of Baen and Bujold, I'd choose Bujold.

I don't feel that fifthimperium were doing anything too wrong (although its own popularity seems to have worked against it), but I think it was kind of against the spirit of the CDs. The CDs were for owners of the hardback to evangelise to their friends, not to say "hey, everyone in the world, no need to pay for that stuff, get it free here." That's probably Baen's mistake, but then Bujold's CD could quite easily be good for Baen and bad for Bujold. It promotes other Baen books, not written by her.

Baen already have a try-before-you-buy system. It's called the Free Library. They do not offer the CDs for worldwide download there.

It sounds like Bujold was a bit strong (I haven't read the thread, yet - I'm about to), but fifthimperium seems to have respected her wishes and pulled the files. What's the problem?

It's worth mentioning that the CDs were up for 18 months or more. I imagine the sales situation has clarified in that time.

Several years ago this critique of the fifthimperium might have made sense... but Baen has known about them for years now and could have altered the license on new CD's to prevent that practice. Frankly, the fifthimperium makes Baen look better to the reading public than the free library does since it makes them look benevolent compared to other publishing companies.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I read that in e-ARC so long ago now that I forget it's not officially out yet.

What is everyone waiting for?
It's eARC'ed?!!
Argghhh! I must've missed the newsletter notice.
Yup! It's there...
Well, time to update my bundle collection...

(Thanks for the hint!)

Edit: No, I don't need to read it *now*. But saturday...?
("Ivan, you idiot!")
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think Baen proved that the CD's were self pimping Baen authors works
(I know that I have bought backlist books because of the CD's and the free Library)

I can't say that she lost or gained sales, bt calling the fifth imperium a Pirate Site went over the top. The site owner abided by the publisher request to remove (it can't be called a 'take down notice', since they did have (and still do) Baens permission to post Baen CD's (except for LMB's).

I think, I will think twice about buying any author that goes off the wall like that (and I have quite a few if not all of the Miles stories, either in Analog SF/F or Baen).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The cheaper version. I'm not paying $15 for a single ebook. I don't need to read it now.
That's what I thought, but then I read the 6 sample chapters. Click on the spoiler tag above to read the cliffhanger. It will drive you nuts and make you want to buy the eARC.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Maybe we should open a thread of "authors who did something or said something I didn't like" so everyone can get in on the action of suggesting we not read specific authors because of something they said instead of whether their work is any good.
I actually know of a handful of authors I will not buy because of how they behaved or because of their politics. I don't care if their work is any good - I don't want to be involved in supporting them.

I know people, for example, who won't buy OS Card because of his religious beliefs and/or statements he's made on his blog.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote