Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
[Q] Can't get to settings after hacking

Ok, I've probably messed up my KK this time. I was trying out the font hack and installing various fonts, making screenshots and restarting the KK without problems. After several rounds of doing so, I can't restart the KK through settings. I can select settings, but nothing happens. I've tried to uninstall the font hack--which may or may not be the cause of the issue--and holding onto the power slide until the KK reboots, but I still can't get settings to work. I can get the KK to reboot/restart that way, but the settings option still doesn't work.

And some of the books (either purchased from Amazon or added via Calibre) cannot be opened up. I get a message "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived Items." I've since backed up the documents in my pc and deleted them from my kindle.

I've found a few threads about not being able to get to settings but none of them seem to be helping, including a recommendation to hold onto power button for a very very long time. I know I have the latest version of the KK firmware (updated when I bought the KK a month ago), though I can't check it now as I can't get to settings. Will be grateful for any tips on this. I should be calling Amazon CS but I'm not from the US, so it's my last resort.

Last edited by holgalee; 05-20-2012 at 12:18 PM.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Uninstalls not working

I've tried to uninstall all the hacks to see if it works, but nada.

Tried to uninstall the jailbreak hack, but since I can't access my settings, I had to do a reset by holding the power switch for more than 15 seconds. Message says the update is unsuccessful. Tried to uninstall the screensaver hack, and receive the same message. Read somewhere that the uninstallation should be in the reverse order, so I tried to uninstall the fonts hacks. Again, I see the update is unsuccessful message. Sigh.

I'm trying not to freak out, but I can't find a way to restore my KK to stock, without going through settings. Should I install the new firmware .bin file? Is there a stock KK file that I can use?

I can follow instructions well as long as they are explicitly spelt out, and had no issues with the jailbreak and screensaver hacks. I've also rooted three android phones and one tablet before and installed roms, so I'm mystified about what could have gone wrong here.

Does anyone know if I'll be charged for calling the Amazon number if I'm an international customer, but not from one of the countries listed as calling toll-free?

Hope I'm making sense as I'm in office right now and want to start my workday soon.
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The uninstall order depends on the jailbreak being the last thing removed. You need the jailbreak key to uninstall, so reinstall the jailbreak if necessary and remove it last.

If all else fails, you can restore the kindle using the serial port.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I see these folders in my kindle:

Can I assume I still have jailbreak in my KK? Afterall the message was update was unsuccessful.

What's the serial port and how do I restore my kindle from there? TIA.

Edited to add: oops! Does it require opening my kindle? I'm not good with tools and electronics.

Last edited by holgalee; 05-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The serial port connector is in the lower slot on the left side, but needs a connector that you can make. There are instructions in this forum. I requires a special low voltage serial adapter (also documented). Watch the seaniko7 youtube video to see how to use it. You need a backup copy of the main partition image too.

It is not safe to assume anything. The jailbreak key is stored on the main partition. It does not hurt to install it again BUT the installers and uninstallers only work from the "Update your Kindle" menu item. They fail if you just reboot.

Do you have the usbnetwork hack installed? Does it work? You can fix stuff that way...

You should start by copying anything from the kindle USB drive that you want to keep.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

Finally, after hours of trying and agonisng, I found the solution here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49#post1237949 (posts 13 & 14).

I believe it was a modified Georgia font that messed up my Kindle. So I replaced the fonts folder with the one in the backup, and rebooted. Now I can get to the settings menu.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

Thanks, Geekmaster, for replying. Your solution may have worked too, but I'm not savvy enough to try that yet.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, one sure way to avoid falling into the 'Amazon's freetype build doesn't like your font and breaks the UI' issue is to enable an FT override in the font hack (usually, bci, it provides the rendering closest to amazon's default).

(FWIW, that's been written in bold on the first post of the thread for a good long while).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

Hi NiLuJe, I had seen the post about the bci, but wasn't entirely clear about it. Guess it didn't help that I downloaded the font from a website where the person said the font worked for him, so I assumed that it would work for me too without having to do anything else. I'm not blaming anyone except myself for being so foolhardy!

To add the bci file, do I put the libfreetype.so file into the linkfonts folder?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You can now control a bit more the settings used by the rendering engine. For example, if you want to make sure it'll be using FreeType's autohinter (like on FW 2.x) instead of native hinting on FW 3.x, drop a blank autohint file in the linkfonts folder. The same applies on FW 2.x if you want to make sure the renderer uses native hinting (like FW 3.x) instead of the autohinter on FW 2.x, drop a blank bci file in the linkfonts folder.
You will have to do a full Restart of your Kindle for the changes to be taken into account (a framework restart won't be enough).
(Note that both settings are always available (ie. you can use bci on FW 3.x, and autohint on FW 2.x)
Just drop a blank bci file in there, and restart.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

At the risk of sounding dumb, how do I create a blank bci file? I tried googling but can't find the answer even on mobilread threads. It gets mentioned a lot, but nobody describes how to create one. Can someone kindly give me the step by step instructions?

Gosh, I sound like a bimbo, but I'm pretty sure I'm not!

Edited to add: oh well, for what it's worth, I copied and pasted the auto file and renamed it as bci. Hopefully that works!

Last edited by holgalee; 05-26-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by holgalee View Post
At the risk of sounding dumb, how do I create a blank bci file? I tried googling but can't find the answer even on mobilread threads. It gets mentioned a lot, but nobody describes how to create one. Can someone kindly give me the step by step instructions?

Gosh, I sound like a bimbo, but I'm pretty sure I'm not!

Edited to add: oh well, for what it's worth, I copied and pasted the auto file and renamed it as bci. Hopefully that works!
touch bci
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote