Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #121
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
The lack of a decent file management system is a real bummer and does discourage me a bit. You would think B&N would have incorporated this by now.
One improvement is that you can now "archive" books and samples directly from the device, but only those bought through the BN store.

Sideloaded books must be removed manually either via the USB or deleting them from the SD Card.

I'm curious whether I can download anything (ie. from my dropbox) to the device.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #122
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
One improvement is that you can now "archive" books and samples directly from the device, but only those bought through the BN store.
Sideloaded books must be removed manually either via the USB or deleting them from the SD Card.
I'm curious whether I can download anything (ie. from my dropbox) to the device.
I was hoping there would be a download option too. People have figured out how to access a hidden browser, but they can't figure out yet where downloads are stored.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #123
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
I've found the new Nook STR impossible to use when it is placed inside a plastic ziplock bag. This is a bummer as I use this device at the beach and I'd like to protect it from the elements while in use. I'll bet a TrendyDigital WaterGuard would be unusable as well.

B&N could easily fix this by adding a setup option to disable touchscreen input for a session and allowing user to reactivate by pushing the nook button.

Last edited by SteveDuck; 06-12-2011 at 04:50 AM.
SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #124
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
B&N could easily fix this by adding a setup option to disable touchscreen input for a session and allowing user to reactivate by pushing the nook button.
I'm not sure about this one. After all it's a touch device
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #125
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was hoping there would be a download option too. People have figured out how to access a hidden browser, but they can't figure out yet where downloads are stored.
Yeah, I was able to get to dropbox, but I can't get beyond the main menu. Whenever I select a link, a new page refuses to load.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #126
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Well here's an annoyance...

My Nook kept 'freezing' on me, screen completely stopped responding, no page turns or word highlighting. Odd thing was that I could get to the menu by hitting the 'n' button but the screen wouldn't respond past that. It would time out and go to screen saver mode without issue but turning it back on I'd face the same issues. The only solution was to completely power down by holding the power button and turning back on. I could read a few more chapters and then it would lock up again. Tried with 3 different books and had put about 40 books on it total, most direct downloads from BN.

So I just took it in for exchange and the 2 BN's by my house don't have any stock left. I would up returning it for a refund. I only had it for 2.5 days.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #127
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDuck View Post
I've found the new Nook STR impossible to use when it is placed inside a plastic ziplock bag. This is a bummer as I use this device at the beach and I'd like to protect it from the elements while in use. I'll bet a TrendyDigital WaterGuard would be unusable as well.

Yeah, I was afraid this would happen. I use the TrendyDigital bags for my Nook Classic and PocketBook, but I haven't tried it would my touchscreen Sony for this reason.

I'm really surprised that more touch devices don't let you turn off touch temporarily. Seems like an easy thing to add.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #128
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
My Home screen is irking the heck out of me! I've been staring at the same 4 books in the What To Read Next section for the past 5 days. They're recommendations based on a purchase. When does this part of the screen update for crying out loud?! This feature is CRAP as it is now. I DON'T WANT TO READ ANY OF THOSE FREAKIN' BOOKS NEXT.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #129
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
My Home screen is irking the heck out of me! I've been staring at the same 4 books in the What To Read Next section for the past 5 days. They're recommendations based on a purchase. When does this part of the screen update for crying out loud?! This feature is CRAP as it is now. I DON'T WANT TO READ ANY OF THOSE FREAKIN' BOOKS NEXT.
If you BUY the books, maybe B&N will take them off the What To Read Next screen.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #130
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Even in the NC, the recommendations don't vary often enough and most of the time I am not interested in those books. Maybe they should have an option where you can click on a book and say whether or not you are interested in it and if not, then it can show you new recommendations. That way it would rely more on the buyer's input.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #131
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's annoying. At least on the NC it's not on your home screen! And since most of my B&N purchases are free book promos the suggestions never match my tastes anyway. It would be cool if they had a preference screen where you could opt in or out of specific genres or authors. Or, they should have a settings option like my Sony 950 does to turn off the recommendations.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #132
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That's annoying. At least on the NC it's not on your home screen! And since most of my B&N purchases are free book promos the suggestions never match my tastes anyway. It would be cool if they had a preference screen where you could opt in or out of specific genres or authors. Or, they should have a settings option like my Sony 950 does to turn off the recommendations.
That's true about the recommendation not being on the Home screen. One thing I really like about the NC is being able to place the books/apps you want on the home screen and also the reading now section that shows your most recent reads. I don't know why they didn't do the same on the new nook. Maybe with an update. Now that I think about it, I haven't been using the home screen on the new nook at all.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #133
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
According to the User Guide, that area is supposed to display B&N Top 100 if you don't have NOOK Friends. There's no mention of Recommendations populating this area.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #134
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Are you sure you have a Nook Touch? Maybe they gave you a Nook Touch With Special Offers instead?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #135
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The good news is that there is zero reason to ever visit the Home page anyway. I buy books on my Mac from various vendors, and manage them with DeDRM and calibre, so I don't need the B&N Home page for anything.

Personally, I see no reason to ever look at a page that holds nothing but advertising anyway. I understand that they are selling the readers at a break-even price in order to sell books, but they need to do a better job of describing/rating/reviewing/personalizing the store experience (like Amazon) before I'll buy much from them.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote