Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
NOOK SDK Available

http://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble...._-Nook%20Color
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
i wonder if they pushed this forward because rooting (which becomes easier now?), i know they planned for submissions in early 2011
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Definitely a surprise.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Either they published that by mistake or there is a run on the SDK. Can't get to the site now.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Either they published that by mistake or there is a run on the SDK. Can't get to the site now.
It's the latter. I had to keep trying. Working as of this post.
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
The press release and website gives us some idea to the kind of content B&N is trying to cultivate with the developer program:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&N Press Release
Chronicle Books: Chronicle Books believes that digital publishing expands rather than replaces the traditional reading experience and embraces the digital marketplace by bringing its distinctive design, life-enriching content, and signature style to the widest range of dynamic digital products.

Concrete Software®: Concrete Software offers high-quality popular, casual games that you can quickly start playing for short or long periods of time.

Cooking Capsules™: Cooking Capsules offers a fresh approach to cooking with a delicious portfolio of “encapsulated” recipes. Each Cooking Capsule features a motivating cooking show, shopping list and step-by-step recipe instructions.

Dictionary.com: Miss Spell’s Class is an original word game that lets you test your spelling skills against the most commonly misspelled words on Dictionary.com. The Dictionary.com app delivers world-class reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, including nearly 1,000,000 words and definitions and 90,000 synonyms and antonyms, as well as audio pronunciations and Dictionary.com's popular Word of the Day.

Howcast: Howcast for NOOKcolor will show fun, useful how-to videos, whenever and wherever you need to know how.

Lonely Planet: Established in 1973, Lonely Planet is one of the world’s leading travel content providers enabling curious people to experience the world and get to the heart of a place. Lonely Planet has sold over 100 million guidebooks, 5 million mobile apps, and tens of thousands of eBooks and is a trusted source of travel information.

TasteBook: TasteBook is the best place to find, organize and share your favorite recipes and make a beautiful, personal cookbook.

Wine Ph.D.: Wine Ph.D. is a handheld database of wines from around the world providing up-to-date tasting notes, ratings, and food pairings in order to help those from novice to aficionado make intelligent drinking and purchasing decisions.

[Quotes from developers edited out for the want of space]
Their website also makes references to reading-Centric apps. I suppose they're not super-aggressive making a tablet market by focusing on reading, but at the same time, the apps they encourage do seem smart. From these apps though, I kind of get the feeling the NC's original target market was 30-50 years olds.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
Their website also makes references to reading-Centric apps. I suppose they're not super-aggressive making a tablet market by focusing on reading, but at the same time, the apps they encourage do seem smart. From these apps though, I kind of get the feeling the NC's original target market was 30-50 years olds.
Haha yea i agree, little did they know how sweet android was for the younger crowd. I love how everyone comments how everyone says they want to enhance the reading experience. well, if i wanted to just read i'd stick with nook classic. i want sweet apps! lol
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
Haha yea i agree, little did they know how sweet android was for the younger crowd. I love how everyone comments how everyone says they want to enhance the reading experience. well, if i wanted to just read i'd stick with nook classic. i want sweet apps! lol
Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I got it. Now I just need a good book about developing for Android
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by encapuchado View Post
I got it. Now I just need a good book about developing for Android
Get to it!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Thanks for the link to the SDK. This is great news I am very happy about it.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
Meh. Sure I want the NOOKcolor platform to rock, but I think people should read more, really. Way too many really smart, talented people missing out on good entertainment and information just because they 'don't read anymore.'

But reading should be with pretty, colorful layouts.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

I agree. Reading is cool.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
Meh. Sure I want the NOOKcolor platform to rock, but I think people should read more, really. Way too many really smart, talented people missing out on good entertainment and information just because they 'don't read anymore.'

But reading should be with pretty, colorful layouts.
It's probably something that won't come to pass for a very long time, but I worry about the state of newspapers and magazines. Just last year alone, I saw several of my favorite publications either get swallowed up by a bigger circulation, or disappear all together.

Obviously I believe that novels and books are important, but I don't want us to forget about other reading material out there either. If devices like the Nook Color will get more people back to magazines and newspapers, then I think they deserve just as much attention and support.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
The source code for the firmware has also been released:
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/Nook/source-code/nookcolor-source-code.zip
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote