Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Nooks with 1000XX Serial Numbers?

Living in Canada, I figured a good way to grab a Nook (and one that is easily rooted) is off of eBay. I managed to snag one LNIB (3G + Wifi version too! too bad 3G won’t work here), but it seems to be one of the very first ones with a 1000XX serial number. The seller said it was purchased in Feb 2010. I’ve heard the very first nooks were prone to cracking and other issues. Should I be concerned?
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
Living in Canada, I figured a good way to grab a Nook (and one that is easily rooted) is off of eBay. I managed to snag one LNIB (3G + Wifi version too! too bad 3G won’t work here), but it seems to be one of the very first ones with a 1000XX serial number. The seller said it was purchased in Feb 2010. I’ve heard the very first nooks were prone to cracking and other issues. Should I be concerned?
My Nook is from December 2009 and has no cracked buttons. Not all Nooks have this problem. If you use the touchscreen swipe to turn pages instead of the buttons the chance that your buttons will get cracked probably is smaller.
And anyway, the damage is just cosmetic. The Nook will work fine with cracked buttons, and if you use a cover you will probably not even see it.
There are no other problems with early Nooks compared to newer ones.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks I'll try not to think about it. Can't wait to get it!
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, barrist.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I bought my nook in January 2010 so I believe it's still the first batch and I haven't experienced any cracking at all and I use it every night for 1-5 hrs of reading (do most reading in weekends but read a little every night)
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert