Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PD book and author recommendations

As many readers of this forum will be aware, "Project Gutenberg" offer a vast range of public domain books (currently about 50,000, I believe). Most of these are by authors who are long forgotten today.

In order to perhaps inspire a few nice uploads to the "Book Uploads" section, does anyone have any particular recommendations of books or authors that are perhaps not very well known today, but whch are still worth reading?

I'd like to start off by recommending "H. Rider Haggard", who if remembered at all today is only known for a couple of his books which have been made into well-known movies - "King Solomon's Mines" and "She". Haggard wrote literally dozens and dozens of adventure stories - the majority set in Africa, where he spent most of his life. He is, IMHO, the equal of any modern "thriller" writer and is well worth a read.

Many of his books will strike the modern reader as distinctly "politically incorrect", reflecting as they do, very much the social attitudes of the British Empire in which he lived, but if you can accept him as a product of his times, rather than judging him by today's standards, he is a superb author.

I'll put together an anthology of some of his better-known books and upload it in the next day or two.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
21.000 only, but also some more recent ones.
H. Beam Piper's work is almost complete. HTML with illustrations or at least a scanned cover. An anthology would be welcome.
To be on the safe side the download should be from a US site though.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
In order to perhaps inspire a few nice uploads to the "Book Uploads" section, does anyone have any particular recommendations of books or authors that are perhaps not very well known today, but whch are still worth reading?
That depends entirely on what you like.

I found the Tarzan books very enjoyable (and made me wonder why I didn't read them while I was younger). I'm also finding some of the newer SciFi also very good.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Oh my, so many great books, so little time! PG is a fantastic resource with so many wonderful books it is hard to know where to start.

Recently read a wonderful book, "The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini," funny and amazing.

A while back I discovered Wilkie Collins, a contemporary of Dickens, who writes fine yarns, not as dark as Dickens, but fun to read.

Among other authors I found most enjoyable are: Forster, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Henry James, Shaw, Dumas, London, Kipling, Dostoevsky, Wodehouse and too many more to list.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote