Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Nook or Onyx Boox (Bebook Neo)??? Need advice.

Hello there,
I bought Nook and have been playing with it for almost a week. I have another week to decide if I want to keep it. I was really considering Onyx Boox 60, but its more expensive than Nook.
To be short I like the Nook, but what I dont like and what Onyx seems to have:
1) PDF support. I dont care much about BN store, cause most of my reading is either doc, pdf or other file I download from the net. Nook is good if you are just using it for reading books, but if you need to read other stuff with graphs, pics and tables Onyx is better as I assume, although I have not tested it myself.
2) Nook does not have landscape mode
3) Nook does not support Unicode (yeah, I know I can work it around and put embed text, but I dont want to spend time on that).
4) Nook does not support some formats I need.

What do you guys think? Any other pros and cons? Is Onyx really better than Nook? Or vise versa. Did anybody have similar thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast
majidbhurgri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle3/3G
I bought Nook 3 months ago and returned it after a week. I did not like its cramped navigation screen, inability to take me to a page and so. Like you I am not keen on buying books from B&N.

I got my Onyx Boox 3 days ago and it is my considered opinion that it is decidedly superior to Nook or for that matter most eBook readers out there, at least for my needs.

I installed latest firmware (beta) last night and I am impressed with it. It supports all the formats that I use, PDF, EPUB, HTML, DOC and TEXT. Font Family choice is available for DOC and TEXT (I wish and hope that they make it available for HTML and EPUB). Font size choice is over 15 sizes which works in various formats.

PDF has nice reflow even if the file is not tagged. Zooming, unlike Sony, is great.

In Unicode and OpenType font support it simply excels, much beyond what I expected. I use complex Arabic script languages and these are rendered flawlessly. Even my webpage (which Chrome and Opera fail to process properly in Windows) was rendered flawlessly by Boox browser. The font embedding, which I use on my website, worked superbly and the page used the designated fonts and complex text was rendered without any problem. This goes beyond Unicode, for it needs proper handling of Opentype fonts as well which was needed.

However, locally, it uses default font for HTML pages, and I hope they fix it. But then in DOC files, I chose the font and the complex script text was rendered superbly.

The touchscreen (wacom) is great too. I have tried and tested half a dozen eBook readers during last 3 months, starting with Nook, and then Sony 600, Sony 900 or Daily edition, Cybook Opus and Hanvon 516 (running OpenInkpot OS). While I did like some of the features of last two, but over all Onyx Boox is best of them all, decidedly.

I would prefer it to Nook any time. I hope this help you decide.
majidbhurgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention the Dictionary/Thesaurus and Text to Speech features.

It was initially not working with WEP wifi network, but with the new firmware update that too is working now.

It is a bit expensive, but then it comes with a case. Also, navigating is much easier because links function, table of contents etc work. The card is easy to access.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidbhurgri View Post
I forgot to mention the Dictionary/Thesaurus and Text to Speech features.

It was initially not working with WEP wifi network, but with the new firmware update that too is working now.

It is a bit expensive, but then it comes with a case. Also, navigating is much easier because links function, table of contents etc work. The card is easy to access.
Thanks for your opinion. I have already actually made my decision. I researched readers for good 6 months and once I saw Onyx it really impressed me. I tired Jetbook and sold it in 3 days. Nook is good....if you only read books. But simple feature like landscape mode or Unicode mode just kills it. It is oriented solely for US market. I am going to return my Nook and give Boox a shot.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidbhurgri View Post
Just a note to say that you really should not use WEP encryption with a wireless network. Its level of security is extremely weak, and easily broken. WPA, which the Boox also supports, is far more secure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast

Thank you Harry for pointing this out.

I totally agree with you, that is how one should set up one's network. But if you have to connect with existing networks, you do not have choice and that makes it important that a device should support various types of connections.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
jojee33
jojee33 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx
Does the Onyx Boox that you just bought look exactly like the Bebook Neo on their website? I have been waiting and reviewing ebook readers for 6 months now. I almost bought a Kindle for Christmas, but waited for the release of the Nook. And then waited for the release of the Sony PRS-600. Then waited for the release of the iPad. Then waited for the release of the Kobo reader. I'm tired of waiting and running out of bookshelf space.

I want to buy the Bebook Neo but am in the USA and have read that its the rebrand of the Onyx Boox. Does it look exactly the same or just have the same features?
jojee33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They are identical. All that differs is the logo on the case. You can install the Onyx firmware on the Neo, and vice versa.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojee33 View Post
Does the Onyx Boox that you just bought look exactly like the Bebook Neo on their website? I have been waiting and reviewing ebook readers for 6 months now. I almost bought a Kindle for Christmas, but waited for the release of the Nook. And then waited for the release of the Sony PRS-600. Then waited for the release of the iPad. Then waited for the release of the Kobo reader. I'm tired of waiting and running out of bookshelf space.

I want to buy the Bebook Neo but am in the USA and have read that its the rebrand of the Onyx Boox. Does it look exactly the same or just have the same features?
Why would you buy Neo? Its the same device as Boox, but Boox comes with case and memory card. For 10 bucks shipped to US I think its better than buying plain Neo for the same price. I am going for Boox.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
AND currently $10 cheapr than Neo. at least from us

majidbhurgri thank you for the wonderful information about Arabic language support. It's one thing to "know" a given language or feature is supported, its another to have first hand accounts from the users who need it to work
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

majidbhurgri thank you for the wonderful information about Arabic language support. It's one thing to "know" a given language or feature is supported, its another to have first hand accounts from the users who need it to work
I am using the latest beta firmware update. The support can be improved and you being the distributors can ask the developers in this regard. I have posted my comments on booxusers forum here: http://booxusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=307

It would indeed be great to have the ability to use fonts of your choice in HTML and DOC files. Ideally, the reader/browser should used locally available fonts for displaying these files.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:

If you make a small discount, like may be free shipping i ll buy it from you.
BTW, I am not able to add the Boox to my cart on your web site.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hmm you're right its not working from the home page but it is from the product page. we're getting ready to do an update of our shopping cart software so hopefully what ever glitch has developed will be gone.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
hmm you're right its not working from the home page but it is from the product page. we're getting ready to do an update of our shopping cart software so hopefully what ever glitch has developed will be gone.
Mr Dulin,
Who handles the warranty issues if a device is bought from you? And how long does it take to receive the Boox? I am planning to buy the Boox within 2-4 weeks cause I will be out of town for some time and wouldnt like to miss the delivery date. Is it shipped directly from you? Also you only have brown covers for now. Will you have white or other covers in the nearest future.
Thank you.