Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have downloaded Calibre

in order to convert books bought from an Australian website into .pdb format...

Now I don't understand what is in (input) and out (output) formats... I suppose that's why I don't understand Cricket!

I would like to convert epub format to pdb format, so I can read it on my palm...

Can someone help me with the in's and out's (NOT on Cricket)..

Thanks
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
input is what you have (ie epub) and output is what you want (pdb). Also it will only work with DRM-free files.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Nobody understands cricket! Cricket and computers were invented by the same guy. He also wrote the instruction manuals.

I don't know if Calibre converts from epub to pdb. It didn't convert FROM pdb to epub for me, so I downloaded a free program called ABC Amber Palm converter. It was easy enough for me to figure out how to do a simple conversion (and I have difficulty setting a digital alarm clock!)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
calibre supports EPUB and PDB both as input and output. As stated it does not support DRMed files. Also, PDB is a container format (think of it like a zip file) and calibre only supports PalmDoc, ztxt and eReader formats within the PDB file.

@Stitchawl, open a ticket and attach the file that is failing. I will look into it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
KeithO
KeithO began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Off Topic, cricket is a very easy game to understand :-)

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in, goes out, and when he's out, he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.
KeithO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Just needed someone from Munich to explain it.

Last edited by weedfreak; 11-27-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling - again
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Nobody understands cricket! Cricket and computers were invented by the same guy. He also wrote the instruction manuals.
Or Rugby!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithO View Post

Each man that's in the side that's in, goes out, and when he's out, he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.
Well. That's clear.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well. That's clear.
As mud But I think that about most sports rules. I've always liked brain exercise much better
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Lloyd Simcoe
immortal observer
Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Thanks for the succinct explanation.
Lloyd Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Or Rugby!

That's easy: Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen (as opposed to football*, aka soccer (bleeugh!!!) which is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans)

* this is the game where people move the ball around with their feet, as opposed to all those other games which, although called football, mainly entail carrying the thing in one's hands and/or throwing it around. Picking 3 examples at (not) random:

- American football, which entails throwing and hitting, and a little kicking
- Australian Rules football (I'm not convinced by the idea of the words 'Australian' and 'rules' in the same sentence, but whatever ...), which entails throwing and running, and a little kicking
- Erm... Rugby football - which entails throwing, hitting, running *and* kicking, and is therefore, I suppose, more sophisticated

For completeness, soccer (bleeugh!!) is almost all kicking (including, or in some cases, preferably, one's opponents)

I'm sure this has advanced the discussion immensely
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:

Thank you! I heard this one many years ago, but have been unable to find it since... Love it...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
@Stitchawl, open a ticket and attach the file that is failing. I will look into it.
Thanks for the offer, UN, but I wasn't having any probs with conversions. I was having probs with Cricket, at least I was having until KeithO posted an explanation. Now that I understand that, I'm going to try my hand at understanding quantum physics... or women.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
.... Now that I understand that, I'm going to try my hand at understanding quantum physics... or women.
Ah! You are brave! Good luck, my friend
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote