Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
i think google don't want to destroy all of its hardware partners...let's be realistic, with a price like this no one will buy anything else if nexus 4 were put on the market in the volume of millions of units...i think it is deliberate move by google...keep people interested, but no so much to take away interest in other android manufacturers...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
i think google don't want to destroy all of its hardware partners...let's be realistic, with a price like this no one will buy anything else if nexus 4 were put on the market in the volume of millions of units...i think it is deliberate move by google...keep people interested, but no so much to take away interest in other android manufacturers...
Chinese OEM have started producing hi end devices for similar prices but like a decade aor so ago Korean companies products were not considered high quality compared to Japanese that is going to change.
I am waiting for the US telcos to wakeup and start ordering their own android devices from Chinese factories instead of being dependent on OEMs they already have retail channels and repair capabilities. They pay billions in advance to apple and co for the phones that same money they can use to make and promote their own devices. $200 with contract they can recover 50-60% of the phone material cost.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I am literally checking the play store out a few times a day. How in the world did anyone manage to order one ever? I have a feeling if they ever take orders again, I have to be on the site that exact minute or they'll sell out again. Grrrr.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
Good news is the Nexus 4 is starting to ship more reliably in the US. I placed orders for the 16GB version on Dec 4, 10, and 13. All were listed as a 5-6 week wait when I ordered. I got shipping notifications on all three today and should have them tomorrow. I have to believe they'll start taking new orders soon.
So? Did you get them? Do you love them? Any issues?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I am literally checking the play store out a few times a day. How in the world did anyone manage to order one ever? I have a feeling if they ever take orders again, I have to be on the site that exact minute or they'll sell out again. Grrrr.
You have to check the news; they usually give a notice that it will be available on a certain day at a certain time. When they offered the 2nd batch in Canada, I was in front of my PC 20 minutes before they opened the gates hammering the F5 button and managed to bag one. It sold out in 5 minutes, so you have to be quick.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #21
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
If I recall correctly, back in September when the iPhone 5 sold out online after a couple hours, afv011 accused Apple of artificially constraining supply to create demand and positive PR.

Haven't heard that about the Nexus 4... strange.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #22
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Perhaps he lives in the Soviet Union.

On the main topic, LG needs to get on it. I have the Nexus 4 16GB purchase page as my home page so I can check it daily for new stock. I'm ready to buy, and given my American "immediate gratification" upbringing, I don't like waiting.
Yes to this. My cheap android is dying now and I really need a phone asap. I really want the Nexus 4 but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out. I mean my current phone won't even let me answer incoming calls half the time and when it does, half the time I hear a distorted robot sound instead of the person calling me. The Nexus 4 is unlocked, works on T-Mobile's 3G network (unlike most unlocked phones which only work on their 2G network) and is much cheaper than other unlocked phones. LG, get with it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Current Nexus phone pricing:
  • $299 = 8GB
  • $349 = 16GB

When it drops to this pricing, I'll jump:
  • $249 = 16GB
  • $299 = 32GB
That would be nice. I don't understand why Google doesn't offer a 32GB model.

Quote:
I'm also wondering how people ever managed to order it. May we be able to order the next time around.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You have to check the news; they usually give a notice that it will be available on a certain day at a certain time. When they offered the 2nd batch in Canada, I was in front of my PC 20 minutes before they opened the gates hammering the F5 button and managed to bag one. It sold out in 5 minutes, so you have to be quick.
Oh, yeah, I check tech blogs and google news as well.
Please, if anyone hears anything next, could you post in this thread? I am having nightmares that the next availibility will be over the minute after I find out.

That F5 key ... That's what I did for 30 mins when the original iPad 3G became available for preorder. The Nexus4 s even more elusive than that one ever was!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #24
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
So? Did you get them? Do you love them? Any issues?
Got two on Friday. (Third one was not for us.) One is mine, one is my husband's. Both seem great. No problems to report. Screen is really nice. Touchscreen is very responsive. Call quality is very good.

I think the hd screens on these devices makes a world of difference. I really noticed that when I upgraded my original Kindle Fire to the hd.

FYI To those wanting to order - I'm pretty sure there is an app in the play store that will do stock notification. If you do get the Nexus 4 I recommend the Poetic Bumper. It's quite nice and much less expensive than the Google Bumper.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
@runtmms: I'm so jealous right now.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
If I recall correctly, back in September when the iPhone 5 sold out online after a couple hours, afv011 accused Apple of artificially constraining supply to create demand and positive PR.

Haven't heard that about the Nexus 4... strange.
Your memory fails you.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Are you saying Apple doesn't do that?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
That would be nice. I don't understand why Google doesn't offer a 32GB model.
I hear ya; it makes no sense. Without a card slot, I need a minimum of 32GB.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
@runtmms: I'm so jealous right now.
You made my day!

runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #30
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Are you saying Apple doesn't do that?
If you have evidence that Apple artificially restricts inventory for the purpose of creating an out-of-stock condition that supposedly increases demand I'd love to see it.

The same claim was leveled against Nintendo when it first introduced the Wii. In spite of outselling all other consoles by an order of magnitude, there were still those who embraced that conspiracy theory.

Apple doesn't need to manipulate inventory to drum up demand. Not when they're selling millions of units within days.

There are simple-minded people who don't understand manufacturing. They believe that it is a simple matter to bring additional plants online and make enough to satisfy demand. Facts like the demand curve over a product's lifespan and the impact to a corporation's balance sheet are too complex to fit within that simplistic view.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote