Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I bought an iTouch today!

Yeah, I succumbed. Yesterday, someone showed me some cool apps that would come in handy for work, so I jumped in.

I will not be giving up my Kindle and don't really expect to use the iTouch for reading (I'll listen to my audiobooks on it) but I will play around with the reading apps for fun and curiosity.

I'll probably have a question or one hundred to ask of you current iPhone and iTouch users... so get ready!

Now, I have to sell my 80GB Video iPod on eBay.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't forget to get a battery extender to go with your Touch. You'll need it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's a battery extender?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
What's a battery extender?
http://www.mophie.com/products/juice-pack-ipod-touch
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thank you both but... YIKES! A hundred bucks! As it is, this thing cost more than my Kindle after adding the extended warranty and a silicone case.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The battery life on this and the iphone isn't great, but it certainly is better than my old Palm T3 or Dell Axim. Just make sure you turn off wi-fi when you aren't using it and drop the brightness setting as far down as is comfortable. The only time I find I need to turn up the brightness on my iPhone or Touch past 40% is when I am in bright sunlight. Usually it hovers at about 10% or less.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Thank you both but... YIKES! A hundred bucks! As it is, this thing cost more than my Kindle after adding the extended warranty and a silicone case.
I saw one for about half that from Kensington at Amazon, but they were out of stock.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I think I'll be fine battery wise. I have many charging options. I installed an after-market player cable in my car which charges iPods while they play through my car stereo. My JBL external speaker charges it as it plays. Then of course I have my laptop while at work and my desktop at home. The only time I see myself away from a power source is while bike riding and that wouldn't be more than a couple of hours.

Does the iTouch battery have memory issues (must fully deplete the battery and recharge a few times)?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got an iPod Touch for my birthday (in July), and I do love it quite to bits. As much as I think the Loved One's new iPhone that work bought him is nifty, in the end my current mobile phone sits on the bedside for weeks at a time. I take my iPod with me everywhere to write notes, keep checklists, measurements, muck around with while on "downtime" (Stanza is my reading application), write little snippets of inspiration or haiku/senryu or cinquain, or just play. Sometimes I even listen to some of all the music I have on it!

Applications I have downloaded (all free thus far) are:
  • WeDict - a dictionary
  • Stanza - my book reading application
  • iDoodle2lite - a very modest "drawing" application
  • UniCon - a measurement convertor (many different measurements)
  • Flashlight - just a white screen (with some colourful strobe options - silly really )
  • Remote - lets me use my iPod as a remote for iTunes on my computer (quite nifty)
  • freebird - a cigarette lighter flame, for big-hair rock concerts (silly, yes? )
  • iPint - a glass of beer you can "drink"
  • a few free games

The Apps store has a lot of crap in it (see above ), but there's probably something you'll find useful, aside from any book-reading application. I like using it as my calendar and contacts and eventually I try put all of my favourite photos on it in reduced size (hmm, many housands to go through - it could take some time) for show-and-tell.

I was surprised at how much I like it. At home, connecting it my wifi network, I have some internet bookmarks loaded as icons (eg. weather, tv guide), and can just hit them if I want to look at something quickly, rather than drag the laptop over. It's good as well when connected to a wifi network that, when you suddenly remember that song you've always wanted, you can just connect to the iTunes store and download it straight to the iPod.

Anyway, since you're enthused about it, as you can see you have re-enthused me...and now I'm going to buy a couple more songs for it.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 08-17-2008 at 04:51 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I manage perfectly well without one on mine. I use it primarily for audio books and video and get several days usage between charges.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Does the iTouch battery have memory issues (must fully deplete the battery and recharge a few times)?
No. It's a Lithium Ion battery, and hence has no "memory".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I got an iPod Touch for my birthday (in July)
My birthday was in July as well, so Happy Late Birthday!

I've purchased several apps in an attempt to see if I can let go of my Palm T5.

-Trip Cubby - To replace the database on my Palm (with HanDBase) to keep track of my mileage. I built the database with more than this app supplies but it's well enough that I can do without a few little bits of info.
-I'm using the built in Calendar which so far is not as good as DateBk4 for my Palm. I can't color code each job so they're easier to find at a glance. (I'm freelance), and I don't have the little icons that differentiate work from medical appointment, to personal appointments. I hope in the next year better calendar apps will be offered
- eReader and Stanza - just for play, haven't tried to read anything on it yet.
- Level - an app I can use for work and the one that tip the scales to get me to buy the Touch.
- Another app that I use on my Palm for work is being developed for the iPhone and Touch, so I'll be jumping on that as soon as it's available. Another scale tipper.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get all my contact and memos from my Palm onto the touch without starting from scratch. I'm also hoping for an app that will help me keep track of which jobs have paid me and which haven't. I was able to track this with a database I created on my Palm (with HanDBase). I would really love some kind of database that I can design myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
And Here I didnt send a Card!! I knew you would turn to the Dark side!! Go Apple!
JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey ! duckman is back !! nice to see you, duckman. i hope you had a good vacation.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
And Here I didnt send a Card!! I knew you would turn to the Dark side!! Go Apple!
JJ

Nah, just sticking a couple toes maybe a foot in the dark water! Still a Dell Girl but thanks.

Tags
duck!