Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
ps249
Banned
ps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheeseps249 can extract oil from cheese

Device: nook, ipad 2, ipod touch
Whats new with kindle?

No one ever hears much about whats going on with the newest kindle product. Kindle is lagging way behind big time- they are the only major ebook company that does not offer touch screen.
ps249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps249 View Post
No one ever hears much about whats going on with the newest kindle product. Kindle is lagging way behind big time- they are the only major ebook company that does not offer touch screen.
Actually, no touch screen might be better. I would hate to have fingerprints all over my screen that I'm trying to read on.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*yawn*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
The funny thing is they always pick the same point to poke, you would think with all the time they waste they could at least be interesting.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
First off kindle is not the only one that doesn't have a touch screen. Secondly touch screens are not always a good thing. Most people like the keyboard and the simplicity of its operation. The keyboard also allows the kindle to work much quicker than most competitors. It allows the unit to be lighter, and allows for a longer battery life. Amazon made the decision to not use a touch screen for very specific reasons.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post
snip
Amazon made the decision to not use a touch screen for very specific reasons.
And very good ones, I might add.

If I want a touch screen, I'll use my iPad. But I digress.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
ywen
ywen doesn't litterywen doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 3g
OP: to suggest that touch screen is essential in an ebook reader is missing the point.

Fingerprint on the screen is a major disadvantage for a device where display characteristics is key. Given the little need for a touch based UI on a B&W e-reader, the trade-off for the screen to acquire finger prints is simply not worth it for the minute convenience it might bring for certain features.

The only feature where I can see would benefit from touch UI is the dictionary look up. Instead of navigating to the word with the directional pad, simply touching on it would be more convenient.. Then again, that would not work too well for fat fingered folks and when the word spacing is condensed.
ywen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
To bother replying to this thread is really pointless, all of these comments have at one time or another been covered elsewhere on the forum, but if you wish to keep discussing it here, all the power to ya
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
Had touch screen in my Sony eReader. Wasn't any use whatsoever, plus the screen quality was poor.
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
I have a convertible tablet pc (wacom touchscreen) that can accept input from (1) keyboard/touchpad, (2) stylus, (3) finger (multi-) touch. I would estimate the relative use fractions of these input techniques to be about (1) 85% keyboard/touchpad, (2) 15% stylus, (3) 0% finger touch. The very concept of smearing around on the screen with my fingers while obscuring it with my hand makes no sense to me whatsoever. Even when in tablet slate mode, where the keyboard/touchpad is not accessible, I use the stylus rather than the fingers. I could imagine using finger touch only in emergencies, like when the stylus were lost. I follow the development of upcoming small tablets but would consider one only if it came with a stylus.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps249 View Post
Yeah! and they don't play movies either.
Come on Bezos - get it together!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ok, I will tell what I have heard in terms of Kindle eveolution. From what I am told a lot of the evolution of the Kindle is dependent on the development of the micro-processor by companies such as Intel, AMD and Motorola. I believe on a hardware level the Kindle is run by an AMD mobile processor, and from what I am told the recent work in mobile processors have been in speed. So in the future you can look foward to a Kindle thaat is two to three times faster at processing your electronic books. There has been some work in speed in the memory areas but not as successful as the processor speed so you can not look forward to a Kindle that gets your books on the screen faster but one that can process things faster.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen
There has been some work in speed in the memory areas but not as successful as the processor speed so you can not look forward to a Kindle that gets your books on the screen faster but one that can process things faster.
I remember when I was first learning to read; how I used to practice (for hours on end) finding a book on the shelf, grabbing it and getting it open to a bookmarked page in the shortest amount of time possible. I got rather good at it. In fact, I won several regional "Book Draw" speed competitions (teen class). But even as fast as I was then, the slowest ereader today can now beat my fastest "manual-draw" times.

Alas, the day of the book-slinger is long gone.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Ok, I will tell what I have heard in terms of Kindle eveolution. From what I am told a lot of the evolution of the Kindle is dependent on the development of the micro-processor by companies such as Intel, AMD and Motorola. I believe on a hardware level the Kindle is run by an AMD mobile processor, and from what I am told the recent work in mobile processors have been in speed. So in the future you can look foward to a Kindle thaat is two to three times faster at processing your electronic books. There has been some work in speed in the memory areas but not as successful as the processor speed so you can not look forward to a Kindle that gets your books on the screen faster but one that can process things faster.
Another technology expected to mature in late 2010 or early 2011 is the plastic logic 10-inch screen. It's lighter and can flex a little without breaking. The color version was expected early this year. And it's potentially cheaper than glass screens.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/news/video.php

Amazon has always tried to provide the latest technologies with the Kindle. A faster, lighter, cheaper, flexible DX would be a logical next step. As to touch screen interfaces, they do permit greater flexibility in interface design at a lower cost and with less weight.

It's almost time for a new (K4 DX) release too. I'm looking forward to see what they make.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Nothing new with Kindle, it's still a great device Why to change it?
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote