Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
orenr
orenr began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800SG
Sorting a trilogy

Hi,

If I have a trilogy, but each book has a different title (i.e. no "volume N" in the title), is there any way to make it show the books in the correct order?
orenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Can you sort by author and put the volume number after their name?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
orenr

That would require editing the book title, wouldn't it? It wouldn't work for DRM books, plus I don't want to change the book titles.

Ideally, it would be a sort by two values: first the author, then the original publication date (I believe the latter is part of the information inside the ePub books). The problem is that the DR800 doesn't know how to sort by two different keys simultaneously, and doesn't know how to sort by the publication date at all
Old 08-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
bran
Enthusiast
bran began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
If you connect manually why not create a sub directory for your series and upload your books to that in order? As far as I have been able to determine when sorting by author it sorts by author and then sorts on directory entry order or possibly creation time.

I am an avid reader of the Honor Harrington Series by David Weber. The series is at this moment 12 books long, and they all appear in proper order for me.

HTH bran
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orenr View Post
It wouldn't work for DRM books, plus I don't want to change the book titles.
Ah, that's where you got me. Never had a DRM'd book near my reader, (and maybe you've just given me another reason not to).
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
DRM.. is that like packaging which you'd best take off before use?
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
orenr

I asked a serious question, and the answer from bran seems to provide a solution. Not ideal, but it sounds like it might solve the problem so I'm going to try it. Thank you, bran

There are plenty of other threads where you can complain about DRM, so please leave this one alone in case other people have something useful to contribute.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
If you connect manually why not create a sub directory for your series and upload your books to that in order? As far as I have been able to determine when sorting by author it sorts by author and then sorts on directory entry order or possibly creation time.
Looking at the code, the sql-query (when sorting on author) first sorts on author, then filename (not title) and then directory. So renaming the files should help.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
bran
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Looking at the code, the sql-query (when sorting on author) first sorts on author, then filename (not title) and then directory. So renaming the files should help.
Mackx,

I just double checked my DR800 and on mine the sort by author is not author-filename but author-upload order whether that is done by natural order in the filesystem or by time I do not know. In the same directory I other books by David Weber and they appear in the order of upload. Itś a bit of a pain upload specifically in the order I want, but it works for me YMMV

regards bran

Last edited by bran; 08-27-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
orenr

Quote:
Mackx,

Itś a bit of a pain upload specifically in the order I want, but it works for me YMMV

regards bran
Don't you arrange your printed books on the shelf, in a particular order, one by one? I do. Sure, it would be nice if the DR800 did that by itself, but it's OK as long as I can achieve the desired result
Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
I asked a serious question, and the answer from bran seems to provide a solution. Not ideal, but it sounds like it might solve the problem so I'm going to try it. Thank you, bran

There are plenty of other threads where you can complain about DRM, so please leave this one alone in case other people have something useful to contribute.
Ah, so if your reader itself came in a sleeve that makes it hard to use and someone suggested you to simply take it off, you'd bitch at him too, for not providing a "useful" solution. Fine by me. Knock yourself out mate.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
bran
Enthusiast

Quote:
Don't you arrange your printed books on the shelf, in a particular order, one by one? I do. Sure, it would be nice if the DR800 did that by itself, but it's OK as long as I can achieve the desired result
Orenr,

Have you tried the directory with ordered upload yet? Is your experience the same as mine?

It might help others.

Yes, I do organise the books in my bookshelf by hand, but not one by one. I can insert a book between others, which I can't on the DR800. I need to clean out the entire series in the directory and then re-add them. With a real bookshelf changing order of books often requires less work.

I am not complaining. The method I use works. It is, however, labour intensive.

Regards Bran
Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 AM   #13
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
I see a potentional new patch 'Bookshelf-view', that allows manual sorting of books ...
(Or a new sorting mode.)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
orenr

Quote:
Have you tried the directory with ordered upload yet? Is your experience the same as mine?
Yes, I did. I combined your suggestion and the info from Mackx. I renamed all the files as <author>_<publication-date>_<title> and downloaded them one by one, in that sort order, and it does the right thing

Quote:
I see a potentional new patch 'Bookshelf-view', that allows manual sorting of books ...
(Or a new sorting mode.)
That would be very nice. Frankly, I'm amazed that the e-readers don't already have this mode. It's such a no-brainer if you want to mimic what people do with their printed books, which is what e-readers are for
Old 08-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
bran
Enthusiast

Quote:
(Or a new sorting mode.)
This sounds like a very good idea! I'm only starting on DR800 development myself and, time allowing, I just might look for a way of doing that. Though from what I've read in the development forum, we will probably be limited to what UDS supplies.

Time will tell.

Regards Bran

Last edited by bran; 08-31-2010 at 05:51 PM.