Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
International Kindle Upgraders - US Account Removal?

Hey guys,

Had a couple of my mates buy a Kindle 3 recently and both have been unable to access the US Kindle Store. Even setting up their accounts as US as possible, they detect it and lock them out.

Now mine is currently setup as a US account, and I am thinking of upgrading to the Kindle 3. Will I have any problems with my account being reverted to it's proper store i.e. being detected as non US? Has anyone had this problem?

Sub

Last edited by SubElement; 09-21-2010 at 07:20 AM.
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
SubElement
Connoisseur

Anyone?
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Anyone?
Should work.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The USA store still works for me, in Australia. I just bought another K3 the other day, but changed my address to Australia before I ordered. Have since changed it back.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
SubElement
Connoisseur

Thanks guys!
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Hey guys,

Had a couple of my mates buy a Kindle 3 recently and both have been unable to access the US Kindle Store. Even setting up their accounts as US as possible, they detect it and lock them out.

Now mine is currently setup as a US account, and I am thinking of upgrading to the Kindle 3. Will I have any problems with my account being reverted to it's proper store i.e. being detected as non US? Has anyone had this problem?

Sub
I'm in the US while my other half is overseas. We both have Kindles. I continue to use mine to browse and shop in the US, he uses his from Australia.

I haven't been locked out of my US store. He can use his to download all the books I bought when I only had one Kindle (for myself).

So, you definitely can use a Kindle internationally on a US account. Not sure what would happen if I visited him, whether the two Kindles off the US network would trigger anything.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
According to other international users, if you download a lot internationally and have "US" as your region they will e-mail you and ask you whats up.
Jacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
pinopao
pinopao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacina View Post
According to other international users, if you download a lot internationally and have "US" as your region they will e-mail you and ask you whats up.
That's exactly what happened to me.

I have an Amazon account that works for the .com and the .co.uk and I live in Italy.
Never had problems purchasing real books, but when the Kindle arrived (with the default nation setting on US) and I bought a copy of USA Today kindle edition, an automatic e-mail arrived, asking me if I was a US citizen abroad.
If so, I had to prove them with a copy of my ID sent to them via e-mail

Needless to say, I changed the country to Italy and now everything works fine, except for the fact that newspapers and magazines are waaaaay too expensive now (75 cents for a newspaper versus 1.99 for the same newspaper ) and some books are not available for me.

Guess that's the other side of the coin for a global market in a world with borders
pinopao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are a US citizen living abroad you should be able to access the US Amazon store for your Kindle. I would suggest sending a copy of a passport if you are asked for ID.

For non-US citizens the works around seem to work well, based on reports that I have read. Most of the people who have been caught have used silly addressed, my favorite is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I think that Amazon knows if President Obama has a Kindle or is using the Kindle App on his blackberry.

Seriously, pick a better address folks. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinopao View Post
That's exactly what happened to me.

I have an Amazon account that works for the .com and the .co.uk and I live in Italy.
Never had problems purchasing real books, but when the Kindle arrived (with the default nation setting on US) and I bought a copy of USA Today kindle edition, an automatic e-mail arrived, asking me if I was a US citizen abroad.
If so, I had to prove them with a copy of my ID sent to them via e-mail
Were you using 3g to download the issue of USA Today? While no one has been able to say for certain, it seems that downloading from a US account while abroad using 3g is what seems to trigger the emails.

I am in Canada, I have a US address on my account. Bought one book and had it wirelessly delivered to my iphone over 3g - I got the email.

Since then, I have bought books and downloaded via pc (using a US proxy) - no email. I have also downloaded items from my archive directly from my kindle via wifi - no email.

Next up, I am going to try buy a book directly from my kindle (over wifi) and see what happens. If that works, also going to try download via PC with no proxy

Last edited by foghat; 09-22-2010 at 10:02 AM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Were you using 3g to download the issue of USA Today? While no one has been able to say for certain, it seems that downloading from a US account while abroad using 3g is what seems to trigger the emails.

I am in Canada, I have a US address on my account. Bought one book and had it wirelessly delivered to my iphone over 3g - I got the email.

Since then, I have bought books and downloaded via pc (using a US proxy) - no email. I have also downloaded items from my archive directly from my kindle via wifi - no email.

Next up, I am going to try buy a book directly from my kindle (over wifi) and see what happens. If that works, also going to try download via PC with no proxy
I got an email for a book which I had already bought before I ordered the K3, with my account set to the Netherlands. I then (to check some prices) set my country to US (with a valid address), and didn't even do anything (actually, I forgot about it). And suddenly I got an email

I didn't order a book, and as far as I know, my husband (it's his Kindle) didn't buy a book (I'd have known about it, as it's linked to my amazon account!). I still got the email...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
SubElement
Connoisseur

Yeah this is more of a post ban. I already have my Kindle 2 and have been using the US store without any repercussions since I bought it. I just wanted to see if people upgrading to the Kindle 3 had encountered any problems with their accounts now being looked into.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sweetpea, that does seem odd. I've never had issues just browsing the US kindle store. Must somehow have something to do with your 'Netherlands' book. Did you maybe try re-download it while you had your address set to US? Not sure that would be an issue, but who knows.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
pinopao
pinopao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
No, I have the Kindle 3 wi-fi only, and I used it, not the pc, to download the issue.

But when I bought the Kindle, I was redirected by Amazon on a special page for international customers (i.e. non US and UK), so they know I'm not american

Plus, my billing and delivery address on my account are both italian, so nothing to complain... it's just that it really bothers me to pay a kindle newspaper issue more than the double of what it would cost me as a US citizen... I don't know the reason why, maybe is a tax-related thing, anyway I willsurvive
pinopao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
foghat
Evangelist

^hmmmm. Maybe I will just stick to using the Transfer to PC option and a US proxy. I would hate to lose access to the US Kindle store.