Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
central11
central11 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Angry An UPS nightmare: can someone help me?

Well, the story is long but I will not dwell into the details. Let's just say I bought my Kindle and its cover in the beginning of August. I live in Mali (Africa) and I paid the most expensive shipping method Amazon had to deliver both products to a friend's house in Quebec, Canada.

My friend's intercom does not work and despite posting on the intercom that information the UPS guy refused to follow his simple instructions to deliver it. After three attempts, UPS sent me an email stating that they would "CONTACT THE SENDER WITH DETAILS".

Amazon until now did not contact me or my friend, neither UPS did. Now UPS said that "THE RECEIVER CANCELED THE ORDER AND REFUSED THIS DELIVERY". That is a terrible lie. Until now neither me or my friend cancelled or refused anything. We were just waiting for instructions to pick up the order in an UPS store.

What should I do? I tried to contact the UPS store in Quebec but the only phone number I have is a US customer service that is impossible to actually talk to someone.

central11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
cl516
cl516 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi (White)
i've never heard of such a situation before. Whenever I have a problem with UPS (i'm in Canada), I just call 1800 PICK UPS and there's always someone on the phone if I just press 0. Actual physical UPS stores, however, have been less than helpful. Maybe you could get your friend's house to try the 1800 number?
cl516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
central11

After 10 minutes talking to someone from the US customer service they said to me that only the UPS Canada branch could solve my problem. I am really mad now.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by central11 View Post
After 10 minutes talking to someone from the US customer service they said to me that only the UPS Canada branch could solve my problem. I am really mad now.
So call UPS Canada
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I get emails frequently from a gentleman in Africa that is trying to move a large amount of money to the US, but needs a personal banking account to move it to. Possibly you could help him out??? If so, I could forward his email address to you.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I get emails frequently from a gentleman in Africa that is trying to move a large amount of money to the US, but needs a personal banking account to move it to. Possibly you could help him out??? If so, I could forward his email address to you.
Lol, are you serious?
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
montaggio
montaggio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I'm in Canada and have never had any good experiences with UPS. Nothing wrong with the service level if you are there to receive, but I find it difficult to pick things up at their depot (restrictive hours) and they always seem to send me big bills for processing fees, etc when items are received from the US. Plus their little tabs they put on my door stick too hard and almost peel the paint off. Minimum, always leave tape behind that I have to remove. Just ordered a 3G from Amazon and made sure that I chose a shipping method that didn't use UPS. I usually try to not receive by them in Canada. Oddly, I've heard great things about their service levels in the US.
montaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by montaggio View Post
I'm in Canada and have never had any good experiences with UPS. Nothing wrong with the service level if you are there to receive, but I find it difficult to pick things up at their depot (restrictive hours) and they always seem to send me big bills for processing fees, etc when items are received from the US. Plus their little tabs they put on my door stick too hard and almost peel the paint off. Minimum, always leave tape behind that I have to remove. Just ordered a 3G from Amazon and made sure that I chose a shipping method that didn't use UPS. I usually try to not receive by them in Canada. Oddly, I've heard great things about their service levels in the US.
in US, it also depends. some people have good service from their UPS drivers/depot, some don't.
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
As a long time internet seller of merchandise I can say without any reservations that UPS to Canada is the absolute worst service on the face of the earth. I once shipped a piece to a KNOW address in Canada, this was about 1996/7 and it bounced around in Canada being loaded and unloaded from the UPS truck for TWO MONTHS and was never delivered. Never mind the fact the customer had contacted UPS, supposedly straightened out the delivery issue, which I also confirmed with a call to UPS Canada just to be sure...then each and every time the driver would claim there was no such address.

That was the final time I ever used UPS to Canada.

For the OP, I know that is of no help at all, but I am just relating that you are far from alone in your frustrations in dealing with UPS to Canada from the US. Trust me Amazon will be aware of the frustrations dealing with USP Canada can be and I am willing to bet they will make it work for you.

A tip for the future....always select USPS as the shipping option to Canada from the US. It just works...I no longer worry about shipping to Canookia since dropping UPS, for reasons other than above, but their EMS or International Priority service is wonderful. Now once Canada Post gets their grubby mits on the parcel is a whole different thing in itself...hehehe...actually, I have not had any issues with them, though from what my customers tell me, Canada Post vs. the general population is sort of a national sport.

I hope they get this figured out for you...it has to be really frustrating. Hang in there...

Oh, btw, the reason UPS in the US told you only the UPS BRANCH, and BRANCH is the key here, is because they actually have the parcel. So what you need to do is get the number for that branch from UPS US and call them direct. These numbers are not generally posted for public use which is part of the cause of your frustration for sure. Once you get in touch with the branch then you should, and use the term very gently, but your "should" be able to work out the issue.

But remember this, you are not the shipper so chances are UPS won't let you do anything about setting up another delivery, Amazon is the shipper and it is they who should/must handle this for you. So I would contact Amazon and describe it as calmly as you can...I once had a lense misrouted on an overnight delivery...it was sent to TEXAS rather than California and a fast email to Amazon got the parcel rerouted to me and here by 10AM the next day even though it was in Texas at 1AM California time.

BTW, are ya sure your friend did not refuse the parcel because UPS often charges a HUGE brokerage fee on top of customs duty. And if your friend did not pay that then this could be the cause of the problem. FYI, there is no brokerage fee when shipped via the postal system. The brokerage fee is a big profit center for UPS because they pay any customs duty on an item for you but then whack you with a BIG fee for being so nice to you without ever even asking your permission to pay it on your behalf.

Hope it gets done and you get your new Kindle!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #10
central11

Dear vaughnmr, I am sorry that you associate the fact that I am currently in Africa to scams. You are just another prejudiced North American.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
central11

Dear friends. Thank you for all your help. Amazon just emailed me that my Kindle cover will return to them and they will refund me.

That is far from my original intention. I want the cover and I did not ask them to return it.

Sure as hell that I will not use UPS ever in my life.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Dear vaughnmr, I am sorry that you associate the fact that I am currently in Africa to scams. You are just another prejudiced North American.
Please don't take vaughmr attitude as representing that of MobileRead. We try to help people who are having problems, not make fun of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #13
central11

Below is the review I sent to Amazon. I underlined the part that is different from my first post in here.

An UPS nightmare: how Amazon and UPS can make your life suck, September 9, 2010
By Rogério De Souza Farias "rogerfarias" (Brazil) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display Kindle) (Accessory)
Well, the story is long but I will not dwell into the details. Let's just say I bought my Kindle and its cover in the beginning of August. I live in Mali (Africa) and I paid the most expensive shipping method Amazon had to deliver both products to a friend's house in Quebec, Canada.

My friend's intercom does not work and despite posting on the intercom that information the UPS guy refused to follow his simple instructions to deliver it. After three attempts, UPS sent me an email stating that they would "CONTACT THE SENDER WITH DETAILS".

Amazon until now did not contact me or my friend, neither UPS did.

Then UPS said that "THE RECEIVER CANCELED THE ORDER AND REFUSED THIS DELIVERY". That is a terrible lie. Until now neither me or my friend cancelled or refused anything. We were just waiting for instructions to pick up the order in an UPS store or be contacted by UPS.

In several emails Amazon just gave a partial refund for my shipment and also gave me a phone number to call UPS. Well, it is not my job call them as Amazon is the sender and it was their decision to use UPS to Canada. Nonetheless, I called UPS customer service and talked to them for about ten minutes to discover that Amazon gave me the wrong phone number (I needed a Canadian UPS customer services'number).

Meanwhile, Amazon sent me an email stating that my box will go back to their headquarters and that I will receive a refund.

That is not what I wanted and the only thing I can say to you is: if you live abroad and need Amazon to deliver something to you really fast paying the most expensive shipping method, give up. Just enter on a reliable store and buy it.

Another tip: just buy an Ipad or a Nook. At least you don't waste your time arguing with powerless Amazon employees that have no capacity to deal with their own mistakes.

Now that I am on a vacation, and probably will not have my Kindle to read, my hobby will be tell my case in all blogs, websites and forums that you can imagine.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Im hobo and go for the cheapest shipping methods available and still receive my parcel internationally on the other side of the globe in 3 days. delivered by DHL instead of UPS. I also have no problems dealing with amazon, they had been pretty polite in replying with handling the issues best they can.

I do also prefer to get things on hand most of the time, as you can see and get what you are buying immediately. Ipad would be nice for playing games but I would pass with it for reading as it will get too annoying with finger prints.

Maybe buying a Nook or Kobo in a store would be better, if you don't want to deal with deliveries.

Last edited by estrial; 09-09-2010 at 05:16 AM.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Another tip: just buy an Ipad or a Nook. At least you don't waste your time arguing with powerless Amazon employees that have no capacity to deal with their own mistakes.
I'm afraid I don't quite see why this is Amazon's mistake. It sounds like the mistake was made by UPS, not Amazon. It will have been they who returned the package to Amazon because they were unable to deliver, and once Amazon receive a returned package they can do nothing other than process it through their "returns" process, and issue a refund. I can understand your annoyance at this, but I really don't see that Amazon have done anything wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote