Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Memory Cards and Tags

I've noticed that when I move my books to my memory card the only way I can find them is by scrolling through all my books by title or author.
Is there any way that tags can be recognized so they can be stored in collections like all my other books?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Sony PRS-500 for instance can only recognise collections for files stored in its internal memory. Not sure if the same limitation applies to the PRS-505 but I would not be surprised if it does.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I have no issues with my 505. I have my books sorted by collection and in some cases with additional tags e.g. Star Wars collection with a tag for the book series. My 505 will create 2 collections one for the collection and 1 for the tag. It will do this on both the internal memory as well as the SD i used to use and the Memorystick i use now.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I had this problem. You have to use calibre's "send to device" and choose your card in order to keep the tags. If you just transfer the files directly to the card (I know, I know - way faster) then the tags aren't applied.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So how can I send them to the device and then transfer them to the card?
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
So how can I send them to the device and then transfer them to the card?
Format your card and put it in your device. Connect your device to your computer and open calibre. Calibre will show your device and your card separately. Pull down the "Send to device" menu and choose "Send to storage card A" or "Send to storage card B", whichever card you're using (my SD card shows up as 'B'). The books will end up your device with the appropriate tags.

I have had trouble with calibre choking if I try to send too many books to the card at once. I do about 10 at a time.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Thank you Superlucky - that did the trick.
I hadn't even paid attention to the pull down menu in Send to Device.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic

You're welcome.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
be careful, if you have a large amount of books in your memory card, Calibre cannot handle the collections correctly, I've lost my collection tags many many times by simply transferring a another file to the memory card, or attempting to update the metadata directly to the card (which in theory you should be able to do)

Sony eBook Library 3, has a MUCH more reliable tagging method, which are not lost. However, at a loss of some functionality.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@sideburnt: Stop spreading FUD
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Well, this worked yesterday. But today I tried the same thing and for some reason Calibre is not detecting my memory card while it's in my reader.
My computer is recognizing both. Is there something I'm doing wrong regarding the order of things?

- put memory stick in device
- turn on device
- plug device into computer
- open Calibre

When I do this my device shows up, but not the memory stick.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Well, this worked yesterday. But today I tried the same thing and for some reason Calibre is not detecting my memory card while it's in my reader.
My computer is recognizing both. Is there something I'm doing wrong regarding the order of things?

- put memory stick in device
- turn on device
- plug device into computer
- open Calibre

When I do this my device shows up, but not the memory stick.
This does very occasionally happen for me too. I have found that disconnecting and reconnecting the USB connection from my laptop to my 505 usually cures the problem.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Okay I solved that problem after a few times of plugging and unplugging.

Unfortunately my tags are again doing some weird things. I used the method superlucky outlined. But now I have two collections both with the same name. For instance I have a "Classics" collection with all books with the "Classics" tags. And I have a second "Classics" collection with the books stored on the memory stick with "Classics" tags.

Sorry if this is confusing. I'd really like to just have one classics collection showing all the books regardless of where they're stored.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think that is an artifact of the PRS-500 software rather than something that Calibre is doing. You should see a "card" symbol against the collection that is on the card.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
collections are maintained independently by the reader firmware on card and main memory. If you want one collection only, then use only either the card or the memory
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote