Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #31
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Here's an example of a Mobipocket file where the NCX isn't nested anymore: you'll get waypoints for part/sections very close from one another but I believe that it's better to have a waypoint on the part anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Hesse - Siddhartha.mobi.prc (158.9 KB, 300 views)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #32
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Could someone try the following file ?
I tried it and it works great. I'm not following why this is a prc file and not a mobi file. Could someone clarify this for me? When I go to to download a file at Feedbooks from "Mobopocket/Kindle" it is a mobi file. Where can a prc file be downloaded? Why can it not be a mobi file?

Is there no way to use the fix you came up with with Calibre? While it nice it can be in feedbooks books it would also be very nice if books and news created by Calbre had the feature.

Last edited by twister; 04-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #33
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

All books on Feedbooks now use the 5-way controller navigation.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this 5-way controller navigation cause any trouble for Calibre or Mobipocket (non-Kindle)?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #35
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this 5-way controller navigation cause any trouble for Calibre or Mobipocket (non-Kindle)?
What do you mean when you say trouble ? On non-Kindle devices, it won't change anything.
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
I tried it and it works great. I'm not following why this is a prc file and not a mobi file. Could someone clarify this for me?
.prc is an common file extension for a mobipocket ebook file. Why do you think it is not a "mobi" file?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
MOBIs from FeedBooks still work in Windows MobiPocket Reader and FBReader and Calibre's viewer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #38
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If I use Calibre to reconvert the PRC file to MOBI with updated metadata, will I lose the waypoints?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
If I use Calibre to reconvert the PRC file to MOBI with updated metadata, will I lose the waypoints?
probably
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #40
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bummer. So who is going to work on getting this supported in Calibre?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #41
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Bummer. So who is going to work on getting this supported in Calibre?
Well, it's been assigned to me in the Calibre trac.... I'm in the process of getting ramped back up after my absence from calibre and the e-book scene. A lot of bugs to chomp through, but this is actually interesting so I'll probably end up *ahem* "over-prioritizing" it.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #42
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Well, it's been assigned to me in the Calibre trac.... I'm in the process of getting ramped back up after my absence from calibre and the e-book scene. A lot of bugs to chomp through, but this is actually interesting so I'll probably end up *ahem* "over-prioritizing" it.
Well, welcome back! I'm glad to see you're otherwise well.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #43
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
Quote:
All books on Feedbooks now use the 5-way controller navigation.
Thanks Hadrien! It is great that this feature has been added to books at Feedbooks. The .mobi file I downloaded to test worked great.

I might be over simplifying this but if you know how to do this with an actual .mobi file instead of a .prc file can't this info be told to the Calibre team? While it is great that books on Feedbooks have this feature I'm looking very forward to it being a feature on books converted and news created with Calibre.

Thanks!
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
I might be over simplifying this but if you know how to do this with an actual .mobi file instead of a .prc file can't this info be told to the Calibre team?
We know what to provide as input to MobiPocket's Creator or mobigen.exe to get them to create the waypoints. What we don't, exactly, know is what these programs put into the MOBI output for the Kindle to read as waypoints. Since Calibre and MobiPerl don't use MobiPocket code, we are missing one extra step. This will have to be worked out by reverse engineering the MOBI output of mobigen.exe.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #45
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Could someone try the following file ?
Kind of late here, but it does work great on my K2 :-)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote