Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
[ignore - post deleted ]

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-25-2008 at 11:15 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #17
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
On one hand I agree with Nate's comment that Amazon wouldn't piss off all the people that are buying a Kindle 1.0 now. On the other hand new devices are being developed, so Amazon will be forced to upgrade their device at some point. In particular, the Plastic Logic device looks really promising, and they claim they are going to release it in the first half of next year.

I hope the next Kindle looks something like the Plastic Logic device. I want a big screen that is capable of displaying a full sized textbook page as a PDF -- I also want direct support of PDFs. I want something thin and light like the Plastic Logic device. A touch screen would also be cool, especially if I can change pages by just swiping my thumb across the edge of the screen (like turning a real book's page).

I simply can't believe that the device displayed in the pictures is going to be the next version of the Kindle. Let's say that they release this thing as Kindle 2.0 in Q1 then in Q3 they release a Kindle 3.0 that is something like I just described. THAT would really piss off some customers.

Plus, I remember reading a couple of months ago a quote that described the new Kindle by saying, "They went from generation one to generation four or five." The device pictured is not generation 4 or 5, it's generation 1.0 beta.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I find it troubling that they wouldn't want to release it before Christmas, if indeed it's "just" software-related. The current prospects of the economy aren't rosy, so a little boost in Christmas sales couldn't hurt Amazon, could it?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
A touch screen would also be cool, especially if I can change pages by just swiping my thumb across the edge of the screen (like turning a real book's page).
I actually like that I only have to make a small movement with my thumbs to change the page. Makes it much easier to use one-handed. Swiping pages seems like it would be slower.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I find it troubling that they wouldn't want to release it before Christmas, if indeed it's "just" software-related. The current prospects of the economy aren't rosy, so a little boost in Christmas sales couldn't hurt Amazon, could it?
With the wait for delivery being 11-13 weeks, I think they have a big boost.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
With the wait for delivery being 11-13 weeks, I think they have a big boost.
Heh, well, yeah, there is that. Of course they would have to make sure to have sufficient Kindle 2.0s in stock.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I can see the next Kindle still doesn't look good!
I'd still prefer my sony over this model!
Is this a real picture of how it's going to look like?

The plastic Logics reader only got the price against them... Big issue!
I think we'll see them from as soon as the economy stabilizes a bit!

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-25-2008 at 01:10 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
Joel123
Joel123 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Digital Reader
I'm hoping and praying that someway, somehow, one of the new Kindles works internationally. I'm sure there are lots of people around the world who would like a whispernet of their own!
Joel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do you remember the discussions before the first Kindle was released? We had the picture for a long time before the product was announced. But we all agreed that it couldn't possible look like that! Now with that experience behind us, the next generation's range of of potential styles is really wide open. But surely there's a reason... I can't believe it's being designed by first year engineering students.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Do you remember the discussions before the first Kindle was released? We had the picture for a long time before the product was announced. But we all agreed that it couldn't possible look like that! Now with that experience behind us, the next generation's range of of potential styles is really wide open. But surely there's a reason... I can't believe it's being designed by first year engineering students.
I'm not sure it's designed at all. Unless maybe it's suppose to spearhead a whole new generation of designs: "The ugly but functional school of gadget designs" .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #26
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rounded off edges makes indeed look like some sort of apple designer got busy there...

Once you start looking at it,designing isn't an easy thing!
We've all been spoiled in the latest years by great design cars, computers, laptops...

seeing this kindle, makes me think back on the '80 and '90's when everyone was driving a square car, and computers where all yellowed out white plastic (some more yellow than others).

The screen boarder looks almost as big as the screen itself!
I like flat designs, but they should also come with a tiny border.
EeePc 901 has one of the best LCD borders around the screen;tiny, lovely, & expensive looking!
A big border makes it look like some sort of Fisher Price/Mattel design!

*Edit: Talking of Mattel,maybe I'm getting older, but lately I haven't heard much about it anymore...*

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Well if the alleged Kindle 2.0 design is real, and they use the same basic design for the larger screened Kindle for students, then the student Kindle may be able to be pressed into use for a dorm room coffee table top.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Well if the alleged Kindle 2.0 design is real,
Gosh... I have said this before... I doubt this. Then again, the original Kindle everyone doubted to. However, I did not. I saw nothing wrong with the design. This one, though as people say, seems a step back from the current no matter the design.

I know we see alot of so called "Apple" leaks and very few of them have come to be true, but a few have.

So, we will see.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #29
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I doubt it as well, BOb. I just cannot imagine Amazon being that stupid.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac

So, does it come with Leopard OS,or Os X?

Tags
amazon, kindle 2.0