Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With the very greatest respect, I've answered this question at least half a dozen times already. It's because the colour fringing is due to very slight non-parallelism in the two faces of the light diffuser. These are difference of the order of the wavelength of light - ie way, way below what any reasonable manufacturing tolerance can achieve.
The manufacturers of the Kobo glo are able to achieve it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
With the very greatest respect, I've answered this question at least half a dozen times already. It's because the colour fringing is due to very slight non-parallelism in the two faces of the light diffuser. These are difference of the order of the wavelength of light - ie way, way below what any reasonable manufacturing tolerance can achieve.
Yes, I know I read a post of yours where you mentioned the light diffuser being the cause, but I didn't recall reading the exact reason behind it. I see what you mean now, that makes sense.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
A friend of mine just arrived from the US and she got herself a new Paperwhite the same week I got one. And hers has discoloration worse than mine. The funny thing is she didn't seem to notice or mind. She was kinda bummed I asked her about it and pointed out the screen defects. But it passed and she said she's really fine with it. She absolutely adores her Kindle! It truly is about your disposition and expectations.
A friend of mine brought an e-reader and the screen had a shallow scratch over an inch long. When I pointed it out and suggested she consider returning it, she got annoyed at me. Go figure. People get attached...
Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Kobo's light diffuser uses a different technology to the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
How do you know it definitely uses different technology? Apart from the fact the Kindle uses a capacitive touch screen (and therefore has an additional layer) whereas the Kobo uses the infra red touch screen, have we ever seen any details of the light diffuser on the Kobo to know that it's any different? Although, perhaps that known fact is enough to tell you it has to be different as you obviously know more about this stuff than most of us!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #36
Rizla
Member Retired

I am curious to see what Amazon will do with their front-lit e-reader line in the future. The Kobo Glo shows that is can be done much more effectively. If what Harry says is true, I think Amazon will have to scrap their existing technology and start from scratch. I am interested to see what Amazon does about this.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #37
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I am curious to see what Amazon will do with their front-lit e-reader line in the future. The Kobo Glo shows that is can be done much more effectively. If what Harry says is true, I think Amazon will have to scrap their existing technology and start from scratch. I am interested to see what Amazon does about this.
Same here. I'll be curious if they continue to use the same lighting technology or if they make changes.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #38
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
That's what I was about to say. If it can't be done, how is Kobo doing it?
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Bookeen's Odyssey has capacitive screen with no bruising... just my three eurocents
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
sneakyspider, my 603 looks perfectly white in daylight (I hardly see the bruising at all). It does have a greenish/bluish cast in the dark (with the light set at 10 and below), and the bruising becomes more pronounced the lower the light setting.
Yep same here. You are seeing the eINK background under the light the lower you go and in the dark it is really noticeable. If you are using certain fonts it will look more bruised than with a cleaner font.
I can't put my PW under 6 and not have this. I don't think of them as color blobs but like you said bruising. Mine has a more greenish tint to it in the dark if I go under 8.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
If the technology of a reasonable manufacturing tolerance could not be obtained then the Paperwhite should not have been mass produced and released. Perhaps the technology should of been abandoned for something achievable IMO.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #42
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I'm still amazed of how people can go on and on and on for hundreds or even thousands of posts, lamenting about the same thing over and over, and never getting tired of it

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
If the technology of a reasonable manufacturing tolerance could not be obtained then the Paperwhite should not have been mass produced and released.
The overwhelming majority of PW owners are happy with it. The fact that a small number are not is really not a very good reason to scrap it. Amazon have a generous return policy to accommodate those who are not happy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #44
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Kobo Glo is not as perfect as it seems to be. It has similar light hole problem as Nook Glowlight. I saw one in person, there is a photo in Kobo forum. Maybe Kobo's build is better. Maybe because Kobo's user base is smaller than PaperWhite and Nook, we don't hear as often as other brands. I want to try a Kobo Glo, but their customer service is not so great; When BestBuy begins to sell it, I will buy one locally and buy warranty (to avoid the Kobo customer service.)
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The one difference between the Kindle Paperwhite and all the other front-lit e-readers that is a nailed on certainty is the capacitive screen on the PW compared to the infra red screen on all the others. So it seems likely that it's not the light diffuser tech that is the issue alone, instead how the light diffuser and capacitive screen layer work together.

That could be wrong, but it would explain why others don't have the same issue, instead of it just being an issue with the light diffuser tech?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, screen issues