Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
tuliouel
tuliouel began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S II
Exclamation Problem with EPUB/OCRed PDF and their convertion

If you want to answer this question with a suggestion of other softwares to use, you're welcome too.
Well, my issue is that Calibre seems to be aimed exclusively to tablets, cell phones and e-book readers in general, but I usually like to read them at home and work PC's with large screens, and, sometimes, I print them (not only e-books, but also scanned documents in PDF format). So sometimes I want to convert the e-books to A4 scale (so they are better in the screen and even better for printing), but the "input" and "output" screens of the convertion wizard only have lots os options related to portable devices (like predefined unchangable input and output "profiles"), and that leads to small pages with big letters, and the books get about 10 times the number of pages they should have.
Do you have any idea of what options I have to overcome this dificulty?
Also, when it comes to the books that are related to my job, there are some of them I whould need to edit. I'm ok with transforming e-books in EPUB format to RTF, but when it comes to scanned books (in PDF), I'm having problems with the fact that the PDF's have 2 layers (according to what I've studied): one with the image of each page, and other with the text. When I try to convert from PDF to RTF, only the image is "sent". Do you know why? The "save as text" that every single PDF reader has (including adobe's) is useless, since it breaks every single line, and that makes it impossible to have the text justified (and that's exactly what I'm trying to overcome).
I've tried to find these answers in other places, but Calibre documentation is poor about that.
Thanks.
tuliouel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
fullybook
fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fullybook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8, Kobo Mini
Have you tried using ABBYY Finereader to "read" the pdf?

PDF is not really a good source for conversion. A lot of mess comes up with PDF as a source. Split text at the bottom of the page, missing letters, etc.

My solution to that is to process PDF through OCR software like ABBYY. Then save it in DOCX or RTF. It even retains the formatting if you choose Exact Copy option. It will also copy the image but you have to tweak it a little for it to read the WHOLE picture.
fullybook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
tuliouel
tuliouel began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S II
You helped a lot. I was acctually looking for something opensource. But when web don't have it, it's better just to have the problem solved in other ways. Thanks for letting me know about these features I didn't know about them. I'll maybe have a try Acrobat X, and, alternatively, ABBYY (which is much more affordable).
tuliouel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, epub, justification, ocr, pdf