Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex iLiad availability delayed to May 2006

This story puts teeth in an otherwise empty rumor, it's official now, the delayed launch of the iLiad reader has been caused by some "unforeseen technical problems" with the implementation of the web shop. It's certainly hard to believe that a bunch of geeks who manage to produce the world's greatest e-book reader fail to implement something trivial as a web store, but may it be so. Thanks to our savvy reader Roland who brought the news.

Updated: TeleRead mentions May 10th as the date when iRex will publish more details regarding the launch of the iLiad.

Meanwhile, if you haven't done so yet, why don't you take our poll when do you think the iRex webshop will actually open.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
well...interesting to note, that even when they were still claiming an April launch, the poll was already showing a majority for the May launch option...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
well...interesting to note, that even when they were still claiming an April launch, the poll was already showing a majority for the May launch option...^^
Heh, I took the liberty to add another entry to the poll for after-May-projections. For those who don't believe in the Web store explanation
Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I'd tend to believe the web store excuse only because I feel no one in their right mind would use such an excuse as a lie. If there were production delays they could have just as well said that since it is not unheard of for a company to delay the release of a product for just such a reason and while some would be disappointed, they would not be as overly upset to avoid buying it altogether.

If they are indeed being deceitful, then they are painting themselves into a corner by using an excuse that can realistically be corrected fairly quickly and could lose the trust of potential customers. I mean if they lie about this what else could they lie about?
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Who cares what the actual reason is for the delay? It's their product to release. Just wait and see, then judge.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Who is judging? I am speculating on "what if's". Personally I don't care what the reason is. I just care whether it is the truth or not. For now, I tend to believe them. While it is true that it is their product to release, it is also their product to succeed or fail. I'm just giving a potential customers perspective.

Last edited by pitcher23; 04-28-2006 at 09:45 AM.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

my opinion:

The guys at iRex have realized something...

There are peolpe out there (us) who want to buy their device...NOW....and in large numbers too.
So they decided to delay and make some "adjustments" to their "direct-to-customer" sales. They probably want to add some more reader software out of the box as well.

What do you think?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

That sounds possible and with best intentions.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Patience is a virtue.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Patience is a virtue.
... but being virtuous does not always come easy.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcher23
Who is judging? I am speculating on "what if's". Personally I don't care what the reason is. I just care whether it is the truth or not. For now, I tend to believe them. While it is true that it is their product to release, it is also their product to succeed or fail. I'm just giving a potential customers perspective.
All I'm saying is to give them some slack. There's no conspiracy at work here to keep you from buying your beloved Iliad. The actual reason for the delay is irrelevant, just as long as the final product is good. Some people here are obsessing over this thing. (Yes, you are!) Maybe it sucks and you wouldn't want it anyway.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
my opinion:

There are peolpe out there (us) who want to buy their device...NOW....and in large numbers too.
So they decided to delay and make some "adjustments" to their "direct-to-customer" sales. They probably want to add some more reader software out of the box as well.

What do you think?
It's certainly a very attractive opinion -- that is to say I'd certainly like it if it were so.

It makes sense, I haven't heard anything that qualifies as counter-evidence, but not much in the way of supporting evidence either, aside from the massive potential customer interest expressed in this forum (and elsewhere), of course.

I think I'll join you in (at least) hoping it's so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #13
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Patience is a virtue.
Most agreed!

And I know there are many virtuous patient folks who will tell you how CLIO NXT was dumped (as in not show up) on them.

As I mentioned on another thread, it could be possible that they are tweaking the web store to cater for more consumer volume as they may have initially intended to have some resellers or retailers front-end their B2C part, while they handle B2B themselves.

But hey, I think folks here are pretty decent and patient. We are not rioting ... yet!
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
my opinion:

What do you think?
Or maybe they are also using this opportunity to manufacture more units so they can sustain the massive sell immediately after the release.

I'm just hoping that they dont have not discovered any major hard/soft flaw with the device.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

What I am wondering about...where is henrycat?
He went (wanted to go) to ARTEC and see the presentation on the Iliad yesterday...now I'm wondering...why havent we heard from him yet?

Maybe he got NDA...^^
or he managed to purchase an Iliad and is afraid we'll take it away from him if he tells us...:-)