Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
eriso
eriso began at the beginning.

Device: ibooks
Question Line won't break automatically in iBooks

I have a problem with an insanely long line in my epub. That is, a problem in iBooks. In ADE and Bluefire, the line will break where the page ends, but in iBooks the line just keeps going, exceeding the page. Which means half of the text is invisible.

What to do? How to code?

Hope someone out there can help me...
eriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Moved to the "ePub" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The obvious question to ask is "what's different about this line, compared to every other line in the book?" It's not in a "<PRE>" tag is it?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
eriso

Sorry about that, my first post... And sorry about not being clear enough: The difference about this line is that it's a single word. No spacing. Longer than the page. And instead of breaking and continuing on the next line (as in ADE and Bluefire), in iBooks it just keeps going...

Maybe the solution is something really simple, but right now i can't think of anything else than adding a * or a ­ so the line can break. But that doesn't really look very good, since the line with the hyphen then won't justify like the others.

It's also really disturbing since the other readers breaks the line, so why doesn't iBooks? Why just keep going?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Where should it break the line? It isn't a breakable line.

This is usually where I would probably insert &#x200A; liberally, assuming that doesn't break any other readers. I mean, ideally I would use & shy; (without the space, but this forum keeps eating it if I don't put the space in), but IIRC, some readers end up replacing that with a hyphen even if they don't have to wrap.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Each reader will have its own rules with regards to breaking words. I know that especially the older readers have an issue with & shy;, I haven't tested it on newer readers.

I seem to recall there is an older topic about this issue.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
eriso

Thanks!

& shy; was what i was trying to say is the only thing (and also & #173 i can come up with, but in the actual post it became a * instead...

I tried &#x200A; now, and the word breaks, but it doesn't justify like the other lines, which looks kind of odd.

Maybe there's really nothing i can do about it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
It won't justify because the reader only throws extra space BETWEEN words to make it work. If you only have one word then...

If you want it to look consistent with the rest of the book then try left justify instead of full-justify.

Just curious...what is the really long word?

Cheers!

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-23-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I would guess a non-English language. Some languages (eg German) have very long compound nouns, while other languages, called "agglutinative languages", form sentences by putting everything together into one very long word (eg Turkish is an agglutinative language). This can result in extremely long words.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
eriso

It's actually about 20 words put together into one (it's fiction, the writer wants it that way).

I think i'll just use & shy; and leave it at that. Even though it looks a bit odd. I really want the rest of the text to justify. And better odd than half of the word not showing at all (that was the really weird part).

Thanks for your help!

Tags
epub, ibooks, line break