Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Why do they think I'm located outside of the United States?

I visited cnn.com. and was asked if I wanted the International Edition because I'm located outside of the United States. I encountered the same issue when I installed the app Thumbplay which won't allow me access. It too thinks I'm located outside of the U.S. What's going on?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
Really odd! I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that has you someplace else?

I had a strange issue when I bought root explorer - the info was for US$3.85 (or whatever) when I went to buy, it had it in british L's. I went back to check and see if I had somehow checked I was in England, and it was back to US$ then when I went back to pay it was in L's again, when I went to the credit card info it was back to US$ and then when I got the notice that it had downloaded and my credit card charged, it told me my credit card had been charged $2 something L's the equivilant of $3.85 US. It was strange that it kept flopping back and forth between the two... But it downloaded correctly - hopefully I was charged correctly too! lol
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
SCION, are you on a different wifi than normal? I think those sites generally pull your location based on your reported IP address. If you are on a funky wifi connection, your IP address could be registered to an out of the U.S. address?
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
SCION, are you on a different wifi than normal? I think those sites generally pull your location based on your reported IP address. If you are on a funky wifi connection, your IP address could be registered to an out of the U.S. address?
Thanks for the insight. No, when I experienced the above, I was home. I'm using AT&T DSL. With regard to cnn.com I don't get that question when I use a computer.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Ahh, I see. You are in Texas. Don't Texans still claim to be out of the U.S.??

Actually, I bet it has to do with the weird user agent that get reported by the browsers on NC. The 1.1 update makes some changes to the user agent - it will be interesting to see if that changes it?
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Ahh, I see. You are in Texas. Don't Texans still claim to be out of the U.S.??
Good one!

This update sounds more enticing as time goes on. Wish they would spell out what the bug fixes and performance improvements are.

Last edited by SCION; 01-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
This happens to me now and then with CNN.com. I think it's a combination of the browser, your IP address, etc. The router your device is connected talks to your ISP router which may have a web-cache. Every time you visit cnn.com, the ISP router (which ultimately connects to the CNN.com webserver) maybe different depending upon your ISP. So you might observe this anomaly depending upon how you reach the CNN.com webserver.

So relax, it's not your fault
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote