Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #1186
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Yeah, I ran across that for the first time last night. I had just opened up a new kepub (Richard Castle's A Gathering Storm) and it treated some of the Table of Content links like footnotes, with the preview window. Pretty neat.

One interesting thing I've noticed lately: If you follow an internal link in an epub, the "%read" part of the menu goes away and the "Previous location" link is back.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #1187
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I think it just a poor design choice. I find it extremly hard to traverse (tap on) footnotes on sideloaded epubs. I switched to keups a little while ago, and footnotes work very well now.
That's interesting. Now, if Kobo actually produced any of the books I want to use footnotes with, I'd be tempted to buy them!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #1188
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Again, I ask for a low-battery warning to come up on the screen *before* the Touch goes comatose. Once again, I have just had a reading opportunity lost due to this inefficient system. My phones and my laptop tell me when the battery is getting low, so why doesn't my my e-reader?

Come on, Kobo - this has been asked for many times by many people. Get it sorted!!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #1189
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Again, I ask for a low-battery warning to come up on the screen *before* the Touch goes comatose. Once again, I have just had a reading opportunity lost due to this inefficient system. My phones and my laptop tell me when the battery is getting low, so why doesn't my my e-reader?

Come on, Kobo - this has been asked for many times by many people. Get it sorted!!
If there was a 'Like' button on your post Peakcrew I'd tap it!
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #1190
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
If there was a 'Like' button on your post Peakcrew I'd tap it!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #1191
dreugeworst
dreugeworst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I think it just a poor design choice. I find it extremly hard to traverse (tap on) footnotes on sideloaded epubs. I switched to keups a little while ago, and footnotes work very well now.
I'm not sure I understand. You load a book in a different format on the kobo and suddenly tapping footnotes works fine? That's really weird, kepub is just a slightly modified epub..
dreugeworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #1192
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreugeworst View Post
... You load a book in a different format on the kobo and suddenly tapping footnotes works fine?
That's correct. Although there may have been a firmware change, I doubt it. I've always had troubles with footnotes in sideloaded epubs.
Quote:
... That's really weird, kepub is just a slightly modified epub..
Who knows what is going on. They may both be epubs, but my understanding is that they are using different rendering engines, the GUI is different, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #1193
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
That's correct. Although there may have been a firmware change, I doubt it. I've always had troubles with footnotes in sideloaded epubs.

Who knows what is going on. They may both be epubs, but my understanding is that they are using different rendering engines, the GUI is different, ...
Yep, that's my mean reason to use the Calibre Kobo TouchExtended driver.

For standard epubs the Adobe Digital Editions renderer is used, and as you found out (as did I) it handles footnotes very badly; I succeeded in getting to the note exactly once, instead of getting the normal touch screen action. For Kobo epubs they use the ACCESS renderer, which does it very nicely with a preview popup without fail.

As I read lots of non-fiction (which tends to use footnotes extensively), I switched to kepubs (a conversion which the TouchExtended driver can do on the fly when sending ebooks to the device if you want it to).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #1194
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

For standard epubs the Adobe Digital Editions renderer is used, and as you found out (as did I) it handles footnotes very badly; I succeeded in getting to the note exactly once, instead of getting the normal touch screen action. For Kobo epubs they use the ACCESS renderer, which does it very nicely with a preview popup without fail.

As I read lots of non-fiction (which tends to use footnotes extensively), I switched to kepubs (a conversion which the TouchExtended driver can do on the fly when sending ebooks to the device if you want it to).
I take it you are putting the blame (for ePubs) on ADE. I wonder if this is correct. I haven't seen many posts about other readers that use ADE having trouble with footnote navigation.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #1195
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I take it you are putting the blame (for ePubs) on ADE. I wonder if this is correct. I haven't seen many posts about other readers that use ADE having trouble with footnote navigation.
You're right, I should have added 'on the Kobo'. But my main point stands: on the Kobo readers, the ACCESS/kepub renderer does a far better job with foot/endnotes than the ADE/epub one.

So if they are important to you (as they are to me), the TouchExtended Calibre driver is your friend
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #1196
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
You're right, I should have added 'on the Kobo'. But my main point stands: on the Kobo readers, the ACCESS/kepub renderer does a far better job with foot/endnotes than the ADE/epub one.

So if they are important to you (as they are to me), the TouchExtended Calibre driver is your friend
That has been enlightening. Thanks, folks!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #1197
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Takeout the words ACESSS, ADE, and renderer and I agree, otherwise I disagree.

I assume "the renderer" is a piece of software/library that Kobo uses. Since other readers don't have problems with ADE and footnotes, I assume it's Kobo's problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #1198
dreugeworst
dreugeworst began at the beginning.

Quote:

Ahh thanks, I wasn't aware of the TouchExtended driver, will try it when I get home.

Still hope they'll fix the footnotes on ordinary epubs though
dreugeworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #1199
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

Thinking on, footnotes on my Sony PRS-T1 required tapping the little numeral which would take me to a separate page, and then tapping a link to get back... if there was one.

Now I've got a Kobo and I'm using kepubs (via the Calibre extended driver) I'm getting the popup windows which are lovely.

I'd just accepted that it was different (better!) but I'd assumed it was just the books I was reading, since the Aura is new enough that I haven't read any of the same books on both yet.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #1200
javakun
javakun began at the beginning.

could you add Chinese language
javakun is offline   Reply With Quote