Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #76
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Phrases like:

make me suspect that this is a machine translation from German.
Not only the phrases! The entire document!

I stopped reading, couldn't make hear nor tail from it...

And with mSSM, I object to you shoving this on the "non-native English speaker"! It's most likely done by a "non-English speaker".... (and your suspicion might be true about that machine translation...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #77
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
The link is to the-ebook.org. This doesn't look like the official english press release but the forum user's own translation using google translate or similar.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
The link is to the-ebook.org. This doesn't look like the official english press release but the forum user's own translation using google translate or similar.
That would certainly explain it. I'm pretty sure that it is a machine translation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #79
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That would certainly explain it. I'm pretty sure that it is a machine translation.
When I posted the info here I clearly labelled it as Google Translate:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=18

Somebody did the same thing, most likely.
Or relied on my post so we ended up with a time loop. The internet is weird.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #80
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I am disappointed to read the IQ is only a 7" device. Of course I realize this is a sweetspot demand wise and if a foothold can be gained it could serve as a step into a larger slatePC device market with larger screens and a better more mature OS...but the 7" IQ seems like a beta/market test sort of device and not a mature ready to compete poduct since it's a divergence from the dedicated category for Pocketbook.

Also unless the IQ has a daylight/sun readable/PixelQi display it's another miss for me...though one thing a 7" device fixes is the reading in bed thing but I already have two devices to address this very well.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #81
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Finally the official PR in English (and other languages).
Quote:
Ifa 2010 in Berlin: PocketBook International Presents Five New Quality Devices

New e-readers with powerful software and cutting-edge hardware
IFA 2010

BERLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At the IFA Berlin trade fair, 3-8 September 2010 in Berlin, Germany, PocketBook International, manufacturer of E-Ink-based multifunctional devices, presents its new series of e-readers in several classes at once. An extended assortment of e-readers is represented by PocketBook Pro 602, Pro 902 – classic models, PocketBook Pro 603, Pro 903 – premium class models and PocketBook IQ with a TFT color screen. New PocketBook range will allow every user to choose the most suitable device in terms of functionality, size and value that corresponds to his individual needs and preferences.

A new range of improved e-readers from “PocketBook” was created as a result of close cooperation with the world leading manufacturer of hardware, communication and consumer electronics that is known for manufacturing HP, Apple and other brands.

PocketBook Pro 602 and Pro 902
PocketBook Pro 602 and Pro 902 are classic models. They differ from one another by screen size (6” and 9,7” accordingly) and by battery life (14 000 and 7 000 page turns accordingly).

Technically both models are identical. They operate on Linux and they are equipped with WiFi and Bluetooth, both have a headphone connector. Internal memory capacity is 2 GB.

PocketBook Pro 602 and Pro 902 can be used for education, leisure and entertainment, they offer numerous possibilities for pupils, students, technical experts and other users.

PocketBook Pro 603 and Pro 903
PocketBook Pro 603 and Pro 903 are the new premium class e-readers. They differ from one another by screen size (6” and 9,7” accordingly) and by battery life (14 000 and 7 000 page turns accordingly).

Technically both models are equally perfect. They operate on Linux and they are equipped with 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, a touchscreen (Wacom technology) and a stylus, both have a headphone connector. Internal memory capacity is 2 GB.

PocketBook Pro 603 and Pro 903 are upgraded versions of Pro 602 and Pro 902 models. They will find their users among devotees of the most modern and perfect technologies, as well as rational decision makers. They can be used both for work and entertainment. Pro 603 and Pro 903 models offer numerous possibilities to the people of various specialities: on the one hand, they allow to optimize working processes, and on the other hand, to spend leisure time with benefit and pleasure.

PocketBook IQ
Among numerous advantages of a new model PocketBook IQ are the following distinguishing features: a color 7” TFT touchscreen, WiFi and Bluetooth. This device operates on Android 2,0. In addition to the functional and software uniqueness of this product is its smart design.

New “PocketBook ” models will be available in stores in November, 2010.

PocketBook Media Breakfast at IFA Berlin, September, 3, 2010, at 9 a.m., stand 109, hall 14.1. Please register at pocketbook@publiclink.de.

Please visit PocketBook´s digital press room for more information and product renderings: http://presse.gcpr.de/en/pocketbook/
PDF version (different text).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #82
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hmm free breakfast i wonder if i could make it....
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #83
nklein
Enthusiast
nklein began at the beginning.

Device: ppc, soon a ipod touch
has anyone noticed if any of them have backlight? or what larger screened ereaders have backlights? thanks
nklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #84
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nklein View Post
has anyone noticed if any of them have backlight? or what larger screened ereaders have backlights? thanks
After PRS-700's spectacular flop, I'd daresay no eInk reader will ever include backlights again.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklein View Post
These are eInk devices. An eInk screen is opaque, hence cannot have a backlight.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #86
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
After PRS-700's spectacular flop, I'd daresay no eInk reader will ever include backlights again.
just to be a nit-picker...because of the materials used and how they work, no EPD panel made to date can have a backlight. The PRS700 had side lighting.

Still it would be interesting if eventually there are several or just one type of particles in the cells. Maybe some translucent particles which respond to a given voltage but remain dormant when the opaque and reflective particles are needed and the back light it off...or even translucent particles which respond somehow to the activation of a backlight...I think it must be fun and frustrating to work on this field of engineering & physics so many ideas and few of which seem workable. Then again it was a kid's science project that increased HDD storage in a way that we can now have TB sized drives in the same or smaller space as the old methods of aligning the data...so I'm sure, there is gonna be a solution out there from a very unexpected source someday.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #87
nklein
Enthusiast

OK
can anyone point me in the right direction of a ereader that has backlighting and is open to more than 1 format ???
I have the Dell axim v50x I love it but with a imac desktop I have to have parallels just to get books on it.
and my mom has a ebookwise 1150 that you can barely buy any authors on she needs something backlite and with a bigger screen

I was looking at the

CruzReader
Million-E Culture reader
Pandigital Novel
Wiipad

and this HUGE list...http://besttabletreview.com/category/ereader-tablet/
PLEASE HELP
thanks natasha

Last edited by nklein; 08-28-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you considered the new Kindle? Although it's not backlit you can get a cover for it with a built-in LED light that's powered by the Kindle itself. It works very nicely, and obviously the Kindle has other benefits, such as a very good bookstore.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #89
nklein
Enthusiast

yeah my moms very picky she think the light add-on looks sillyold people

what does Android mean? thanks

Last edited by nklein; 08-28-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #90
brecklundin
Banned

Andriod = a mobile device operating system from Google and just getting into the main stream and shows promise. But it remains to be seen just how long it will hold the attention of 3rd party developers. And many developers these days seem to have the attention span of a gnat on crack.

If your mom is ok with it and there are funds in the budget then consider the iPad. The plain Wifi version should be fine. Though it might be overly complicated for her to absorb the gesture based touch interface. It's not an awful device, in fact Harry, who has used a TON of readers, really likes his. I have seen them and they are nice looking. Trade-off's exist of course.

Otherwise there really aren't any backlit readers out there yet...Pocketbook did announce a Pocketbook IQ will be out in short order. It's shown in the first post for this thread. I don't know if it will run any version of the Kindle software...if it runs Android then it should...

I will add any tablet/slate style device that is not a dedicated reader could be intimidating for older people who just want to read. I would tend to agree that the K3 with the genuine Amazon cover with integrated light is an option BUT I would also say that needing to use the reader inside the cover (the light is powered via the hooks which hold the reader in the cover) defeats the whole idea of the light and easy to handle device.

BTW, I agree with your mom...clip-on lights are silly and I have yet to find a single one that is not so annoying as to ruin the whole idea of relaxing by reading.

Wish I had more devices for your but nothing that was promised at the beginning of the year has seen the light of day. World economy and what not are, in part, a reason as companies need funding and investors who right now are happier to invest in less risky options.

Tags
pocketbook