Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do our mobile devices get more time than a significant other?

We tend to get very attached to our mobile devices and e-book readers. But just how far does that go? Even the "less addictive" traditional home computing seems to be affecting relationships.

According to PC World Blogs, "Sixty-five percent of Americans polled said they spend more time with their home computer than their spouse or significant other." And it's not always a good thing, because a majority said that "their computer woes leave them feeling angry, sad, or alienated."

Our passion for mobile devices is certainly a part of who we are. It certainly affects our life, and those around us. Why don't you share your stories about some of the relational effects your mobile device has on the people around you? Are any of the effects good? And how about the pushback - are there ever any repercussions?!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
When it comes to my gadgets particularly PDA's or smartphones, I mainly just get made fun of when I first jump in to a new device, but my significant other's usually appreciate them in the long run for a couple of reasons. I work in a busy sales office and can't take personal calls too often, so they like that they can send an e-mail to my device, and that I can respond on the road quickly. They appreciate when the device has a camera so I could take photos when they want to savor a moment, and they like that I can remember appointments, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. They don't appreciate though when the thing buzz's as often as it does with E-mails, and I am not the greatest at being so discreet. The pluses do outnumber the minus's, and I haven't really had it affect my relationships in any negative ways. As far as my reader goes, I would say it disrupts my time with my significant others as much as her reading paper books affect mine....it really dosen't. On the final note, my Ipod has definitely helped on the long drives together. I have a 60 Gig Ipod Video, and have almost 5000 songs with a large variety of music choices, so settling on music is pretty easy.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Personal rule: No computer after 19.00h... Unless it's an emergency!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
We do have a family rule: no electronic devices allowed out during mealtime. Most of the time, however, there is no problem, as my wife also uses a Q, and does not mind being interrupted by email.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My wife isn't big on electronic devices in general... she owns a Mac, but only because it's for work, and I had to force a cellphone on her. So she pretty much looks down her nose at most of my electronic stuff. However, she tolerates them just fine as long as I put them down when she wants my attention (which is okay with me... in fact, I wish she'd give me more opportunities to put 'em down! ).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Back in the days of the Apple ][ there were some problems. However today that is a thing of the past. She spends as much time with her computer (sewing programs) as I spend with mine. In fact when we first saw the Sony Reader in person she was the first to speak telling the clerk to get one from the back and that "he's going to buy it." (She knows me very well after all these years.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
otterman
otterman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-700/iPhone 3G (overhyped)
What significant other?
otterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterman
What significant other?
There are seasons in most of our gadget-loving lives where the gadgets ARE like our significant others! I'm sure that's not healthy, but I think it's sort of true!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kinda dangerous to answer this question knowing that everyone (!) can access these forums...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Considering the time some of us spend on this site, there must be friction somewhere, at work or at home!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Kinda dangerous to answer this question knowing that everyone (!) can access these forums...
Are you referring to our significants, or our psychoanalysts?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Are you referring to our significants, or our psychoanalysts?
I bet most of us are much, much, much more concerned with what our significant others think than what any psychoanalysts might think.

But in great contrast to that reality, we all (at least all the men of course) will try very hard to appear completely unaffected by the demands of the significant other. We would do anything for our loved ones, but tend to become very obstinate if we feel we are being forced to do anything! Thus the obvious, and all too frequent, analogy to the donkey and um... other related animals with more shocking names.