Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It's all personal preference, so you'll just have to check one out yourself.

My girlfriend has one and I really like reading on it. But I've never had major eye strain issues with LCD screens. Of course I'm also seldom reading for more than an hour at a time, read often in dim lighting etc. so e-ink just isn't much of an advantage for my needs.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #17
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Keep the information coming I love it.
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #18
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I sold my e-ink reader because I got tired of needing a very bright light to read in bed. I also think my husband probably wanted to brain me with the lamp so he could sleep.
It's easier to turn on a light than to turn off the sun . Yes, I read far more indoors than outside. My wife is very grateful since I started reading on my iPhone (and now iPad) in bed an no longer have a desk lamp on.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #19
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic One View Post
What is the word on the ipad is it worth the price and how is if for ebooks. I am anxious to see one but life in the midwest where nobody else ever gets new gadgets. Help me out I am interested in getting one but want to know how it compares to the kindle.
This guy goes into EXTREME detail on that exact subject (Kindle vs. iPad for eBook reading):

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/ipa...e_skin;content

The conclusion seems to be... it varies, depending not only on your reading circumstances (day vs. night, indoors vs. outdoors, contending with someone else in bed with you or alone, etc.), but also how you tweak the settings (black on white vs. white on black) and... how your particular set of eyes work.

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-11-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It's easier to turn on a light than to turn off the sun . Yes, I read far more indoors than outside. My wife is very grateful since I started reading on my iPhone (and now iPad) in bed an no longer have a desk lamp on.

Lee
True but I think too much focus is put on reading in direct sunlight and not enough focus on low lighting situations.

My husband is much happier since I started reading my iPhone in bed.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Thanks guys it looks like I will have to get an ipad as soon as possible.
Don't rush too much - play with it. This thing is heeeaaavyy.
If you plan to use it for reading I personally cannot recommend it for size/weight consideration.
Come to think for anything else too, if you have computer at home and tv. 3g might have it benefits though.
But don't buy in the hype play with it.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree that a bonus that you get with the LCD screen is low light reading, but that is a benefit over books in general. I'm just saying that it is not really a negative against eInk only.

I tried reading on my netbook before I got my Kobo and it didn't work that great for me for 2 reasons. I felt reading on the LCD didn't feel right, it seemed like I was always aware that I was reading on a screen. Secondly, I found it hard to focus, like other have said if you have internet you can easily be drawn away. (or atleast I can)
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
If you plan to use it for reading I personally cannot recommend it for size/weight consideration.
I think the size/weight of the iPad are fine---as long as you're just reading sitting in a chair/couch, in bed etc.

It's only a pound and a half which is still quite light, and most of the time I use it (or my Kindle) I'm sitting down or laying down so the weight of the device is resting on my lap or chest anyway.

But I suppose the size/weight could be an issue for some.

It's definitely not good if you want to read standing up on the subway etc. And I suppose the size/weight could be an issue for people with arthritis etc. Or maybe it could get heavy for avid readers who read for hours and hours on end--I'd never use a device like the iPad for more than an hour or two at a time if even that much in a whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
I tried reading on my netbook before I got my Kobo and it didn't work that great for me for 2 reasons. I felt reading on the LCD didn't feel right, it seemed like I was always aware that I was reading on a screen.

Secondly, I found it hard to focus, like other have said if you have internet you can easily be drawn away. (or atleast I can)

To the first, that's really a form factor issue. I can't read on a laptop, PC, netbook etc. at all. The form factor just isn't good for reading, and it does hurt immersion. But I don't have that problem reading on my girlfriend's iPad. The tablet form factor is great for reading, and the device quickly disappears, unlike laptops/netbooks for me. I also get less eye strain.

Two the second, that's a fair point I suppose, at least for people lacking in self control/attention span!

It's a plus for me as I'm not an avid reader so I'd get a lot more use out of a tablet than I do out of my Kindle that probably gets used 2 hours or so a week as I really only do any leisure reading when I need to get sleepy at night.

My main hobbies are movies, TV, sports, video games and music, so I don't mind being distracted from reading.

So yeah, something like the iPad isn't the ideal choice for the avid reader who's only main hobby is reading. There's the distractions of the other stuff, the device is bigger and heavier, gets less battery life, and costs a good bit more than a dedicated, e-ink reader.

So it's hard to recommenced it to someone who ONLY really wants to read novels and other straight text reading.

For someone who wants to do that and do all the other stuff a tablet can do, the iPad may be a good choice. It's not quite the right tablet for me so I'm still waiting for the time being. But when I get a tablet I'll probably ditch my Kindle.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-11-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I really think I need to get my hands on one!!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard

For sure. Find the nearest Apple store or a Best Buy with them on display.

The only way to really get a good sense of whether it's the device for you is to play around with one yourself.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
All in all, if all you want is an ebook reader, the iPad is not a good idea. Apart from the whole LCD screen/eye strain issue, there's also the fact that it's a bit too heavy for reading for long periods of time, and it costs so much more than dedicated readers.

Yes, the iPad can read ebooks*, but that's not it's only, or even it's main, function. It's almost a computer (but not quite). So if you want a device that can be used to read books, looks damn good, and will replace your aging laptop/crappy netbook, then yes, get an iPad. If all you want to do is read books, stick to your Kindle.

* And as far as that goes, the iBooks app is frankly terrific. Looks way too cool.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I really think I need to get my hands on one!!!!
Definitely. Make sure to browse the iBooks store too, to see if they have anything you want...I've found the selection so far to be pretty limited.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, the iBook store isn't great.

Not much of a shortcoming though since you also have the Kindle app (which I assume he/she would mostly use since they currently own a Kindle), Kobo app etc.

As well ability to buy ePub elsewhere to read in iBooks.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #29
Romantic One
Banned

ibook store how easy is it to get your ebooks on there does anyone know.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #30
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
ibook store how easy is it to get your ebooks on there does anyone know.
As long as they're ePub, I think you can just drag and drop them into iTunes and then into your iPad in there.

Kindle books you just download into the Kindle app via the archives in the app. Books you have on your Kindle from other sources like Feedbooks etc. you'd have to send to your Kindle for Ipad via e-mail (I think).