Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
weisdaclick
weisdaclick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just Bought A Sony PRS-505 - PDF Question

I am quite impressed with the reader but I have some pdf files which are quite large (around 45mb), these have some pictures.

I have loaded these on the reader but the file size makes it very slow and cannot zoom into the text - therefore illegible.

I would prefer to simplify the document, especially the images which could be converted from photo quality to quite low-res.

I have seen the Sony document to optimize files for the reader but I have not purchased Acrobat or QuarkXpress. I have tried OpenOffice but it cannot open the files and crashes each time.

Is there a tool out there to simplify a pdf document?
weisdaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
weisdaclick
weisdaclick began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Guess I'll have to find another forum.
weisdaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisdaclick View Post
I am quite impressed with the reader but I have some pdf files which are quite large (around 45mb), these have some pictures.

I have loaded these on the reader but the file size makes it very slow and cannot zoom into the text - therefore illegible.
Your PDF-files are around 45MB? Then the PDFs seem to be Image-PDFs. Such PDF's are not reflowable.

Quote:
Is there a tool out there to simplify a pdf document?
PDFRead or soPDF may help to make the PDFs better readable - but keep in mind that Image-PDFs are generally a very bad choice for an eBook-Reader...

Quote:
Guess I'll have to find another forum.
Guess you should also try the search function or the WIKI first.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
ax42
ax42 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Depending on your computing platform of choice, search for soPdf (win) or skim (os x) in the forums and you'll find some good hints. The Sony document also talks in detail about pdfCreator which is, as far as I know, open source.

Good luck
ax42

edit: heh, just one minute too slow.....
ax42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Use BookDesigner to convert the PDF to LRF.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Use BookDesigner to convert the PDF to LRF.
Would it make a difference for image PDF's? I don't think so.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Image PDFs are bitmaps, not words. You'd need an OCR program to turn them into words before you could do anything interesting with them. That's why PDF is always last on a list of recommended formats.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote