Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Secure Mobi pocket means, if we have a Kindle, then we have to hack the DRM security out of it?? P&P is my all time favorite novel, and I would like to have a really nice edition of it, but for the Kindle.
Then buy it for your Kindle... it is $6.40.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudic...2860584&sr=1-6

Personally, if I want to read the book I will download it for FREE from feedbooks. I'm not interested in the "enhanced" fluff.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #62
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Also available for the Kindle at Amazon. $6.40.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #63
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Personally, if I want to read the book I will download it for FREE from feedbooks. I'm not interested in the "enhanced" fluff.

BOb
I didn't realize it came in a non-secure version. Thanks for pointing that out. I already downloaded the free version from Feedbooks ... did that yesterday, actually. However, there are times when the "fluff" can be quite nice, and I like the option of choosing. Sort of the same reason why I have several different film versions of P&P ... there are times that I'm in the mood for Sir Lawrence Olivier as Darcy, and times when I just have to see Colin Firth.

Eh .... I'll probably either read it or watch it 10,000 times before I roll over and die (from the effects of a diet of Hershey's Kisses and Stewart's grape soda).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't realize it came in a non-secure version.
I think the Kindle version is secure since it does have a sample. BUt, it is a Kindle version.

BOb
Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #65
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I think the Kindle version is secure since it does have a sample. BUt, it is a Kindle version.

BOb
Well, and it could be that I have no idea what I'm talking about here, from what I can tell, there are MOBI files that can be read on the Kindle, and then Secure MOBI files which cannot be read on the Kindle without some sort of hack (which exists, but I haven't downloaded it yet).

Not sure how I'm going to survive this weekend knowing that my Kindle will be here on Monday. The poor UPS lady is going to end up getting tackled on the front lawn when she shows up .... I damn near did that on Friday thinking the Kindle was showing up a little early ... turned out it was just the book light I ordered. Sheesh.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, and it could be that I have no idea what I'm talking about here, from what I can tell, there are MOBI files that can be read on the Kindle, and then Secure MOBI files which cannot be read on the Kindle without some sort of hack (which exists, but I haven't downloaded it yet).
You've got it right.

But, anything at the Kindle store will work on the Kindle. They are secure Kindle books and need no hack. Similar to secure-Mobi but for Kindle.

BOb
Old 06-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

BOb
I would humbly suggest that you take a look at the nice illustrated versions of all of Miss Austen's books that I've uploaded here, Bob.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #68
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would humbly suggest that you take a look at the nice illustrated versions of all of Miss Austen's books that I've uploaded here, Bob.
Which are very well done. Unless you want the add-ons in the new Penguin offering, which I'm considering, Harry's versions are perfect.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #69
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I heard back from a Penguin publicist last week--he's trying to hook me up with the ebook people for a review copy, but I haven't heard anything further yet. Fingers crossed.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
zowie ! let us know. (little bit jealous...)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #71
Timber
Enthusiast
Timber began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Macbook Pro, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The Count of Monte Cristo? by Dumas? That's public domain and free, no? If they charge hardcover price for that I won't know whether to laugh or cry.
I think like most new technologies, the publishers really don't get it. Until they get the e-book prices down to the paperback prices you'd pay at a bookstore, they're not really going to have mass appeal.

That was the genius of the whole I Tunes thing, make music available at an attractive price and people will buy it. Same thing here with books. Make them available at a fair price and people will rush to buy them. Charge a high price for em and the market goes away.
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #72
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I think like most new technologies, the publishers really don't get it. Until they get the e-book prices down to the paperback prices you'd pay at a bookstore, they're not really going to have mass appeal.

That was the genius of the whole I Tunes thing, make music available at an attractive price and people will buy it. Same thing here with books. Make them available at a fair price and people will rush to buy them. Charge a high price for em and the market goes away.

Personally, I feel that the publishers need to get their heads out of the 18th century.

Most of us who have bough a Ebook reader have already paid a premium for the device, and while we are willing to pay a reasonable price, what we may be willing to pay is no where near what the general public will pay if they have to shell out for the device as well.

And for E-books to go mass market, you have to convince the Joe on the street that it makes sense to buy a Reader as opposed to just picking up a book at the corner bookstore. And keep in mind that the newer generation is reading less and less books, spending more time online. E-Books could be a way to reignite some of that interest, but only if they provide a tangiable benefit.

Currently the publishers just appear to focus on the portability and convenience aspect of it, but if they got price into the equation, it would be a killer 1 - 2 punch.

Asking for a premium above and beyond that I feel is very short sighted. Unfortunately the predominance of the bean counters (I should know, I'm training to be one ) has meant that everything has come down to dollar and cent figures and the next quarterly profit figures .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote