Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #46
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
NFC was likely left out so that they would have something to present as new in the 5s.
Exactly. Right now they're saying there's no point to it, but when they introduce it (sorry, invent it!), then it'll be the must have and everybody will be rushing to upgrade their kit.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
When have they ever? Apple has only ever put other companies innovations in a pretty case.
No, they made that Newton tablet. Now that was innovation. Of course, they learned from their mistakes and never tried that again!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #48
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Source:

Quote:
“I hate it,” Wozniak said when asked about the patent fights between Apple and Samsung. “I don’t think the decision of California will hold. And I don’t agree with it -- very small things I don’t really call that innovative.

“I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody’s technologies.”
I like his attitude.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #49
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Source:

I like his attitude.
Have to agree with you on that!
He even spoke my "not innovative" mantra on Apple patents.
I see from that article that even "The Woz" uses a Samsung S3 now and then, although he also mentioned using an i4, just to be fair. "just to be fair" are my words, not his.

It's nice to see Apple's original creative genius in the news again. Thank you.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
At least LTE is more patent-able than that rectangle with rounded corner bullshit. I say go at em Samsung :P
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #51
Shurup
Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Android Kindle / Kobo Apps, Kobo Mini, Kindle PW
What's all the fuss is about? There's nothing new in i5, yes, faster processor, yes bigger screen (finally!), perhaps better (but still 8MP) camera... but any of it really new? Looks just as an upgrade to the 4s, should have called it 4ss.
Shurup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #52
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
With all fight, perhaps Nokia and Microsoft will win in the end.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #53
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
With all fight, perhaps Nokia and Microsoft will win in the end.
God, wouldn't THAT be an amusing plot twist.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Windows phone is NICE os.

Good hardware too. Just needs some attention from consumers.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #55
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Windows 8 phones from HTC:

Quote:
At an event today in NYC, HTC unveiled its first two Windows Phone 8 devices: the Windows Phone 8X and 8S by HTC. Similar to Nokia's next-generation Lumia stack, HTC's Windows Phone 8 lineup includes a high-end flagship and a more affordable mainstream option.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6310/t...-and-8s-by-htc
Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #56
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
A story worthy of a long discussion on MR you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Exactly. Right now they're saying there's no point to it, but when they introduce it (sorry, invent it!), then it'll be the must have and everybody will be rushing to upgrade their kit.
In Apples defense, while the technology is there in quite a few phones, the technology is nearly non existent everywhere else. I've yet to see a place where one could actually use NFC for anything.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #57
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
the technology is nearly non existent everywhere else. I've yet to see a place where one could actually use NFC for anything.
I have it on my Android, but know not much at all of it. Never hear others with flagship phones talk of using it either.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #58
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

In Apples defense, while the technology is there in quite a few phones, the technology is nearly non existent everywhere else. I've yet to see a place where one could actually use NFC for anything.

i thought chipped credit cards were the norm in Europe?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #59
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
European chip cards are not RFID.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #60
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

There is more than paying when it comes to NFC. I use it daily to automate tasks with NFC tags.

Leave home: a tap disables WiFi, changes volume settings and a few more tweaks.
Get in the car: a tap enables GPS and launches the Nav app. When I leave the car, a 2nd tap disables GPS.
Leave the office: one tap disables WiFi, changes a few other settings and sends an SMS to say "I'm on my way".

The possibilities are endless.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote