Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Series sorting in plugboard

I've set up a metadataplugboard for the ipad where I send over the book title as {series} {series_index} {title}
and the sorted title field as:
{series} series_index:0>5.2f} {title_sort}

I may have the exact field names wrong but that's the gist of it; I'm going from memory.

This works except for series names that begin with "The" or "A". There doesn't appear to be a series_sort field or a function where a sorted series name can be generated from the series name.

Does anyone have any ideas how this can be handled?
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac4lt View Post
I've set up a metadataplugboard for the ipad where I send over the book title as {series} {series_index} {title}
and the sorted title field as:
{series} series_index:0>5.2f} {title_sort}

I may have the exact field names wrong but that's the gist of it; I'm going from memory.

This works except for series names that begin with "The" or "A". There doesn't appear to be a series_sort field or a function where a sorted series name can be generated from the series name.

Does anyone have any ideas how this can be handled?
A and The are noise words and are sorted in the order of next word.
"The Money Trail" will sort: Money Trail, The may will appear The, Money Trail
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
ac4lt
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A and The are noise words and are sorted in the order of next word.
"The Money Trail" will sort: Money Trail, The may will appear The, Money Trail
That's what I want to happen but for the series I'm getting "The" and "A" left at the beginning. For author and title there are corresponding sorted fields but that doesn't appear to be the case for the series.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know whether this is relevant to iPads but in Preferences - Tweaks there are 3 items to help control sorting.
  • Control sorting of titles and series in the library display
  • Control formatting of title and series when used in templates
  • Set the list of words considered to be "articles" for sort strings

Have you checked what they are currently set to?

Edit: Sorry, having reread your post I suspect you already knew this.

With the Series field, I just set it to the exact value I want to see on all my readers.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-12-2012 at 11:42 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
ac4lt
Connoisseur

jackie, thanks for the reply! I did check those and they seem like the correct settings (library_order for the sort settings and correct values for the list of words).

It looks like one of the few areas where calibre doesn't give one the tools needed.
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You are correct that there is no Series Sort field. It is something I would like to see added for consistency but I can understand it being low priority at best. At the moment I get around it by omitting the noise words from the Series setting in Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You are correct that there is no Series Sort field. It is something I would like to see added for consistency but I can understand it being low priority at best. At the moment I get around it by omitting the noise words from the Series setting in Calibre.
The field exists, it is just not user accessible. (I peeked into the DB )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote