Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
We like him 'cause he's naughty!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Benny Hill is not British humour. Only Americans find him funny; British people just cringe.
I'm glad you cleared that up, I cringe at Benny Hill and I'm Canadian.

For me the best thing about HHGTTG was that you always knew there was someone out there that missed something you got, or you missed something that someone else got. One of my favorite quotes from HHGTTG was whan Zaphod said: "Shee, you guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off."

Another Adams quote, or story he wrote.

"Every country is like a particular type of person. America is like a belligerent, adolescent boy, Canada is like an intelligent, 35 year old woman. Australia is like Jack Nicholson. It comes right up to you and laughs very hard in your face in a highly threatening and engaging manner. In fact it's not so much a country as such, more a sort of thin crust of semi-demented civilisation caked around the edge of a vast, raw wilderness, full of heat and dust and hopping things."

Douglas Adams

If you would like to read the rest of that quote go to: http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-08-a.html
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
My dad is from Grenada and found Hill to be hilarious. I'm a Bahamian female, and found him grossly-funny; like when your friend does something disgusting but you can't help but laugh.
I really don't see how nationality makes any difference.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
... when you do the math using a base-13 system, 6 x 9 does indeed = 42.
Isn't it 33?

Last edited by John F; 01-23-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Changed to 33
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not really. If there's a 4 in the "thirteens" place and a 2 in the ones place, then using good old base ten to make sense of it: (4 x 13) + (2 x 1) = 54. Which in what we normally think of as what you get when you multiply 6 by 9.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-23-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #36
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I avoided reading HHGTG for so long and after reading it this month thought it was ok. Nothing spectacular or very funny, just quirky. It's a good short read and the second book is almost as good as the first. I just finished the third book and didn't like it at all. Douglas Adams is an acquired taste.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I first read HHGTG as a teenager in the 1980's. *After* reading Life, the Universe & Everything. LTU&E made a lot more sense--but was still damn funny--after reading HHGTG.

I have no idea how many times I've read HHGTG at this point. At least 10, I'm sure. It's funny every time.

I've done readings of Chapter 18 (the falling whale) for friends before as an introduction to how funny the book is. Or just to read it. It's a great chapter. I've also done readings about the art--or rather the knack--of flying.

I love those books. Some day I'll read "Mostly Harmless", the fifth book in the trilogy (it's not in my "More than Complete" volume).

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #38
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think this sentence--- 'By a curious coincidence, “None at all” is exactly how much suspicion the ape-descendant Arthur Dent had that one of his closest friends was not descended from an ape, but was in fact from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse and not from Guildford as he usually claimed'---is one of my favourite transition sentences in all of literature
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I think this sentence--- 'By a curious coincidence, “None at all” is exactly how much suspicion the ape-descendant Arthur Dent had that one of his closest friends was not descended from an ape, but was in fact from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse and not from Guildford as he usually claimed'---is one of my favourite transition sentences in all of literature
And who else but Adams would have ever conceived of a character responding to the announcement by a friend that he is from another planet and that the Earth is about to be demolished to make way for a hyperspatial express bypass with the words, "This must be a Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-23-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm very fond of the scene with Deep Thought, Majikthise and Vroomfondel.

"I mean, what's the use of our sitting up half the night arguing that there may or may not be a God if this machine only goes and gives you his bleeding phone number the next morning?"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Not really. If there's a 4 in the "thirteens" place and a 2 in the ones place, then using good old base ten to make sense of it: (4 x 13) + (2 x 1) = 54. Which in what we normally think of as what you get when you multiply 6 by 9.
You caught me before I edited my post. 42 (base 10) = 33 ( base 13).

So I'm not sure of the significance of "6 x 9"? Did I miss something when I read the book?

As for the book itself, I found it very entertaining and plan on reading the rest in the series.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So I'm not sure of the significance of "6 x 9"? Did I miss something when I read the book?
I think it must come in the next book, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

It turns out that the Question might be (but probably isn't) "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #43
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
My DXG cover has "DON'T PANIC" stencilled onto it in large friendly letters.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #44
Littermate
Becalmed
Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Two Sony PRS505 (Breeding pair)
Harmless.
Littermate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #45
Littermate
Becalmed
Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Two Sony PRS505 (Breeding pair)
Just to expand on my previous comment a little. Mostly Harmless.

HHGTTG is something that I find myself utterly unable to be objective about. It is ingrained into my psyche as deeply as any other formative experience from my childhood and teen years. I can quote whole sections of the thing almost verbatim, along with Monty Python and Faulty Towers. I woke one Sunday morning in bed and switched on the radio and found the very first episode of the very first radio series just about to begin. I was there at the beginning. I had never heard anything like it, ever, and I lay in bed laughing so much my mother banged on the wall. (I wish I'd listened to my mother - Why, what did she say? - I don't know; I didn't listen!) I bought the LP's, read the books, missed the TV shows because I was going to night classes, hated the movie, then started all over again back at the radio shows, over and again.

It was a phenomenon and I am glad I was there at its start because no one now will ever get it quite the same way they would have got it back then. Better than digital watches!
Littermate is offline   Reply With Quote