Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Alighieri, Dante: La divina commedia (Illustrated, Multilingual), v2 26 Sep 2009

"La divina commedia" (The Divine Comedy), written by Dante Alighieri between 1308 and 1321, is considered one of the greatest works of world literature, and a central work of Italian literature. It is an allegoric epic poem telling the journey of the author through the Christian Hell, Purgatory and Paradise, where he meets a plethora of sinners, monsters and virtuous souls...

This edition includes the original Italian text, along with four different translations: German (by Carl Streckfuß), English (by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow), Portuguese (by José Pedro Xavier Pinheiro), and Russian (by Mikhail Lozinsky). All the versions are cross-linked every 15 verses, in an attempt to make a kind of parallel edition. French and Spanish translations are under preparation, but may take some time (I wrote this in February, and it's still valid ).

Included too are the famous illustrations by Gustave Doré (135 woodcuts), and an illustration gallery to quickly access each of them.

However, as much as I would like, this is not "the ultimate" edition, since it's missing all the notes many of the online texts have, but adding them would have been too much work for me now, maybe someone else will decide to try that.

I think this is my most complex book so far, so it's probably full of errors and mistakes, though I did my best to make each version consistent and follow the language's typographic conventions. And, of course, all kind of feedback is welcome.

Due to the large size of this book, I had to split it in two parts with RAR.

(Note: I did only split the texts at each "part": Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso, not at each Canto. That makes the files larger that 300 kB, so the book won't probably work on Sony devices.)

EDIT (v2): Updated to support the epub2pdf script (though be prepared for large memory requirements if you use it with this book).

(previous download count: 64)

Last edited by Jellby; 09-26-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow jellby, i am amazed, impressed, and very grateful to you for this. bravo. karma to you !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It was written in Italian? Goes to tell you how much College professors know, I was told it was written in Latin.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It was written in Italian? Goes to tell you how much College professors know, I was told it was written in Latin.

=X=
It's written in a language which is intermediate between Latin and modern Italian, but a lot closer to the latter than the former.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Interesting... so technically he was not wrong saying it was written in Latin? What language would you call it?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Dante wrote the Comedy in a new language he called "Italian", based on the regional dialect of Tuscany, with some elements of Latin and of the other regional dialects. By creating a poem of epic structure and philosophic purpose, he established that the Italian language was suitable for the highest sort of expression. In French, Italian is nicknamed la langue de Dante. Publishing in the vernacular language marked Dante as one of the first (among others such as Geoffrey Chaucer and Giovanni Boccaccio) to break from standards of publishing in only Latin (the languages of liturgy, history, and scholarship in general). This break allowed more literature to be published for a wider audience - setting the stage for greater levels of literacy in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was written 700 years ago, don't expect it to be exactly modern Italian. I'm no expert either in Latin or in Italian, but like HarryT says it's much closer to Italian than to Latin, it seems to lack all (or most of) the declensions of Latin, and the structure, spelling, etc. looks (to me at least) a lot like modern Italian.

Note, however, that no original manuscripts survive today, and the versions we know have probably some "modernization" applied.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Any italian could read it without knowing latin at all, so it isn't wrong to say that it is in italian. What's really wonderful (and a bit confusing for foreigners) is that when it was written, there isn't an "italian" language, as clearly Wikipedia tell us. It had been like an ante-litteram standard..

Last edited by Warriah; 08-29-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
professzore
Connoisseur
professzore began at the beginning.

Device: Something 8" in a 6" body: RS800 or similar (txtr with +2 inches)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
"La divina commedia" (The Divine Comedy)
That's how a professional e-book (ePub) may look alike. Congratulations!

If I can share you a Hungarian translation (if available and free of any copyright restrictions), can you put it in or can you assist me to do so?

Regards,
professzore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by professzore View Post
If I can share you a Hungarian translation (if available and free of any copyright restrictions), can you put it in or can you assist me to do so?
Sure, though my knowledge of Hungarian is limited to the fact that I don't know it If you want to make it easier for me, try to make the text follow the same XHTML style and names as in the other languages.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil doesn't litterTom Bombadil doesn't litter

Device: EeePC, nook 3G, kobo1, DSi, DS Lite, Sony PRS-350.
This is awesome, I really appreciate your hard work. It's just that my Kobo choked on this, maybe 32MB was too big, it's fine on my EeePC. Thanks again for this.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
ryancolm
ryancolm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
This is truly, truly awesome. I await your future editions with enormous interest. I'm actually translating the Commedia into English (divinecomedian.wordpress.com).
Regarding the Italian, I speak Italian (obviously) and I can tell you that most Italians have serious trouble with reading some of the more difficult passages of the Commedia. They need footnotes et cetera just as much as we do. In fact most translations of the Commedia are much easier to understand than the original.

(Edited to remove my earlier edits. I'd go into details, but they're too embarrassing.)

Last edited by ryancolm; 08-30-2010 at 03:27 AM.
ryancolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
ryancolm
ryancolm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I've "reduced" your very fine Commedia to Italian-only, and split it all into chapters so my Sony PRS-300 can read it. I did this for my own purposes and it's not intended to be a criticism of your work. If you like I can post the result here (it's an EPUB) but I'll wait for approval from the thread author so I'll know it's appropriate.
ryancolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Nice! Thank you! Even the original italian, wow!

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancolm View Post
I've "reduced" your very fine Commedia to Italian-only, and split it all into chapters so my Sony PRS-300 can read it. I did this for my own purposes and it's not intended to be a criticism of your work. If you like I can post the result here (it's an EPUB) but I'll wait for approval from the thread author so I'll know it's appropriate.
You are welcome to post it, but it's probably better if you create a new thread for your version, as otherwise it would be harder to find in an ebook search.

Tags
german, italian, portuguese, russian