Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #9616
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Cool! I just won a Kobo mini in the contest! Woohoo! Went in exactly at midnight, EST

(Weird, though - the promo for the contest specifically mentions the Kobo Touch. But that's okay; I like the mini better. )
I have to try at midnight to win???? Ohboy.

Congrats. That is excellent!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #9617
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Spoiler:

I miss everyone posting discount codes
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #9618
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Spoiler:

I miss everyone posting discount codes
Would it help to know I got a 55 this morning???
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #9619
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@Joe - I love Lucy!

Oh yeah I know how she feels ....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #9620
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Congrats!!

But....
It's the Touch. I think they've never bothered to update the "You've won an ereader" graphic.
The exact thing happened when I won back in March.
LOL; well, I'll take whatever they give me.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #9621
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
From an email: Get up to 75% OFF just in time for back to school!

Up to 75% OFF fantastic eBooks from Julie Kagawa,
Pittacus Lore and more - ends Thursday

Obsession-worthy reads, not just for teens
http://store.kobobooks.com/List/Its2...Wsl13AjRgIRV7Q

Incredible eBooks for the younger reader
http://store.kobobooks.com/List/And2...ss_tsQjRgIR2hA
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #9622
samosa
Groupie
samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samosa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, AuraHD, AuraH2O, GloHD, Mini, DXG, PW123, Voyage, NookSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda.owns.link View Post
From an email: Get up to 75% OFF just in time for back to school!

Up to 75% OFF fantastic eBooks from Julie Kagawa,
Pittacus Lore and more - ends Thursday

Obsession-worthy reads, not just for teens
http://store.kobobooks.com/List/Its2...Wsl13AjRgIRV7Q

Incredible eBooks for the younger reader
http://store.kobobooks.com/List/And2...ss_tsQjRgIR2hA
Thanks for the links!

However, shouldn't kids be reading textbooks rather than novels now that they are back to school? I was half expecting some cramming notes and study guides when I was clicking through... May be I am just a bit silly.

Last edited by samosa; 08-22-2014 at 01:22 PM.
samosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #9623
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've got a couple of 10% codes and a 25% code if anyone is interested. Although Kobo just emailed me a 30% code because I haven't ordered anything recently enough.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #9624
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
The prices on Amazon UK almost always beat Kobo without a discount code so without the discount codes I won't be buying much if anything from Kobo. Amazon also frequently discounts a vast range of books, while Kobo rarely does this. The codes have allowed Kobo to remain competitive for those who purchase many books. I don't think that Kobo can compete with Amazon on prices without the discount codes and the other aspects (customer service, reliability) of Kobo's service are pretty much completely inferior to Amazon. I would never recommend a Kobo device over a Kindle to anyone who wasn't very knowledgeable about computers and technology.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #9625
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Corroonb, I totally agree with you. The one and only reason I have been buying from Kobo for the past year or so is solely because I have had coupons to make the book cheaper. The rare times I have wanted a book that I couldnt use a coupon on, I have bought it from Amazon.
Amazons customer service and the quality of their devices far exceeds Kobos; so no coupon discounts equals no sale as far as I'm concerned.
I also would never recommend Kobo to anyone. I am a Nook fan myself but when asked I always recommend Kindle, especially to those with limited ereader or computer skills.

I have been playing the current competition with 4 accounts and so far the highest code I've won is 30%. Given the direction the contests and codes seem to be heading, its looking likely Amazon will soon be my first stop for all ebooks, with Kobo only getting a look in if its one of those rare books not available for Kindle.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #9626
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Kobo still offers 30% and 40% codes. Using those do not make Kobo's price more attractive?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #9627
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Kobo still offers 30% and 40% codes. Using those do not make Kobo's price more attractive?
Not when Amazon is 99 cents and Kobo is 10 dollars!
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #9628
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I am a Nook fan myself but when asked I always recommend Kindle, especially to those with limited ereader or computer skills.

Given the direction the contests and codes seem to be heading, its looking likely Amazon will soon be my first stop for all ebooks, with Kobo only getting a look in if its one of those rare books not available for Kindle.
Not to criticize, and not intending a threadjack, but I have to put my two cents in on this point:

For everyone upset about the struggle between Amazon and Hachette, that's exactly the thinking that gives Amazon its leverage. If you want Amazon to dominate the ebook market, that's how you should proceed. On the other hand, if you'd prefer to see Amazon have to compete with other booksellers, the first step is to recommend those competitors - and devices that work with them. (The second step is to urge self-publishing authors not to equate "published for Kindle" with "published for ereaders," but that's just another facet of the same discussion.)

I happen to like and use Kobo, but I also recommend ebooks.com and pretty much any other place that I know sells EPUBs which are either DRM-free or protected with standard Adobe DRM. I'm under no illusion that Kobo's devices are perfect; for instance, I've said many times that I wish they had better device/shop integration, like Amazon managed with the Kindle. Still, to me, the ability to replace the 2GB built-in memory with a higher-capacity SDHC card, plus the option to add an external memory card, gives my Glo an advantage that no other device has yet equaled, let alone overcome.

But this isn't about Kobo for me. It's about MOBI vs. EPUB, Amazon vs. Everyone Else, and in that matchup I prefer that Amazon not gain any more ground. YMMV, of course, and with that, I'll end this tangent and get back to watching for contest codes.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #9629
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda.owns.link View Post
Not when Amazon is 99 cents and Kobo is 10 dollars!
And that's exactly the sort of thing that does persuade me to buy on Amazon, even if I immediately convert it to EPUB for my Kobo device. Same goes for Kindle-exclusive ebooks, and right now I'm agonizing over whether to buy an anthology now at 99 cents on Amazon or wait until it hits Kobo at full price ($6.99) in about a month and a half. I'm not sure the financial savings is worth the hassle* of the conversion.

* Yes, I know all about calibre's autoconvert feature. I still prefer getting a native EPUB when possible.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #9630
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
I am like the vast majority of average readers out there - I dont really care about all the behind-the-scenes struggles and marketing dramas; the one and only factor that drives me to buy is price. Even if I did want to bat for the underdog in an effort to raise them up, my very limited budget wouldnt allow me to pay higher prices when I can buy cheaper elsewhere.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals