Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
nezhac
nezhac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo 2.8.1
New Kobo glo crashing with CBRs

Hey everyone,

Just got my glo today in the mail. Turned it on, set up my kobo account, it then upgraded itself to 2.8.1 over the wifi
Transferred some Walking dead CBRs to it, just drag and drop, around 12-20MB each and 30 pages long.
This is where the problems start, it seems to crash almost all the time. I've mostly tried reading the CBRs on it and it tends to crash after 2-3 pages. Seems to be when I leave it alone for more than 30s while reading. It also crashes quite a lot when just in normal use, for example after transfering books and taking out the USB.
Every time it crashes, the screen freezes and it's unresponsive to touches. I can't turn the light off or on and can't put it sleep or switch it off, only a reset does anything.
I've tried doing a factory reset and letting it sit for an afternoon while charging, still not better.
I got some epubs off gutenberg.org and tried reading those but I haven't since managed to open them without the kobo crashing again.

Any help? Or should I just give it back asap?
Thanks

PS: here's a video of it crashing while reading the walking dead, the crash at the beginning is directly after a reset.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B56f...it?usp=sharing
nezhac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You've tried most of the obvious solutions (different files, factory reset etc) so I would say it's time to exchange it under warranty. My only other question would be are you correctly ejecting the device from your computer before disconnecting the USB (most flash drives etc don't require it these days, but Kobo's are sensitive to requiring it)? If you don't you could be corrupting your database which could cause the symptoms you're describing.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
nezhac
nezhac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo 2.8.1
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yeah, I was careful about properly unmounting it before ripping out the usb cable.
I tried some epub books and tried putting only books and cbrs on the microsd, but it didn't help.
It's a pain because this is my first e-reader and I can really see the point in reading from one of these, it's a really great reading experience.
I'm also a bit disappointed that either Kobo or the seller I got it from ship out such defective units.
I'll send it back and see if I can get my money back to try another shop.

Thanks
nezhac is offline   Reply With Quote