Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Finished reading Book 1 of the WoT series...

And the question is, should I continue?

After years of hearing numerous recommendations and condemnations from my friends regarding this series, I broke down last month and got the first book. I'm torn, there are some parts that I like (plot, detailed world, mythology) but it seems kind of formulaic and the dialogue/characters can be effing awful at times.

Does it get any better? Most of the critiques I've heard of the series is that the first 3-5 books are worth reading and then they decline rapidly in quality. If you've read the series, please let me know what ya think of it. My pals recs are 3 in favor of trying at least 1 more, 2 saying quit while I'm ahead...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Xoanon
Enthusiast
Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've finished the first two books and plan to carry on with the series. In a genre where every book has to be more gritty than the last and feature characters who posses every conceivable shade of grey know to man, I'm so far finding the WoT series to be refreshingly original.
Xoanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I read book 1. I liked it but didn't feel compelled to read book 2. That was 10 years ago. Still haven't picked up book 2, although I have it.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I have enjoyed the entire series. I do think books 8,9,10 could have been combined into one semi-boring book instead. However starting with book 11, they really pick back up.
The final book in the series is scheduled for Jan 2013.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Meh. I can't even begin to start a series whose installments run to double digit novels any more. No story is that big... no character or setting that interesting.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
And the question is, should I continue?

After years of hearing numerous recommendations and condemnations from my friends regarding this series, I broke down last month and got the first book. I'm torn, there are some parts that I like (plot, detailed world, mythology) but it seems kind of formulaic and the dialogue/characters can be effing awful at times.

Does it get any better? Most of the critiques I've heard of the series is that the first 3-5 books are worth reading and then they decline rapidly in quality. If you've read the series, please let me know what ya think of it. My pals recs are 3 in favor of trying at least 1 more, 2 saying quit while I'm ahead...
It took me awhile to start the series. I stayed with it to the tenth volume, which was too long IMO. I'm with DiapDealer on this.

I think it went from being a pretty good story to one that was milked beyond dryness. But if you've got the time, read another one.

I think WofT ruined me for epic fantasy.

Last edited by RDaneel54; 04-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well - much as I loved the early books, and much as I still want to know how it turns out, even though it has tried my patience a bit - if you didn't like the first one, I'd say don't bother.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Meh. I can't even begin to start a series whose installments run to double digit novels any more. No story is that big... no character or setting that interesting.
Amen!

As to the OP's question... that depends on how much you liked the story and the characters. Some of the character quirks get really annoying really fast (e.g. Nynaeve's braid tugging).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I got to Book #10; should have quit half-way through Book #5.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
You did better than I did, I couldn't get through book 1. I made it about 10% and hated it.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I read the first 8 volumes, and NOTHING happens! The characters are VERY interesting to start wit, but they show no growth or development at all. And what's really weird, all 8 volumes take place in the same 2-3 year period.

I've never 'officially' quit reading the series, I just haven't had the energy to pick up #9. With so many good books available, I feel that my time is better spent on something else.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I like the anticipation of awaiting the next novel in the series and unfortunately the author, Robert Jordan, is no longer with us so unless there is some sort of technology that I don't know about there will be no more writing from him. I am already anticipating the next Honor Harringtion novel. Its too bad that Robert Jordan had to die before finishing the series.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I like the anticipation of awaiting the next novel in the series and unfortunately the author, Robert Jordan, is no longer with us so unless there is some sort of technology that I don't know about there will be no more writing from him. I am already anticipating the next Honor Harringtion novel. Its too bad that Robert Jordan had to die before finishing the series.
It looks like they came up with something...a ghost writer.

There is one more upcoming novel based on his "extensive" notes. It is written by Brandon Sanderson (like the last two have been) and is supposed to be the conclusion of the story arc. I think the last two books have been the best books in the series after (maybe) the first 3, so the next should be good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
to all for your answers.

A few votes in favor, the rest nays or, at best, "mehs". I think if the series was 4-5 books long, I'd stick with it, just because its such a famous and well loved series. As it is, I'm gonna pack it in for now. Maybe I'll come back if there's a sale or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoanon View Post
I've finished the first two books and plan to carry on with the series. In a genre where every book has to be more gritty than the last and feature characters who posses every conceivable shade of grey know to man, I'm so far finding the WoT series to be refreshingly original.
I'm just the opposite. I've found myself feeling less tolerant for those characters with little to no shades of grey as I've delved deeper into the genre. But I do see your point, sometimes it feels like its either none or too much.

Last edited by VaporPunk; 04-09-2012 at 03:17 AM.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It looks like they came up with something...a ghost writer.

There is one more upcoming novel based on his "extensive" notes. It is written by Brandon Sanderson (like the last two have been) and is supposed to be the conclusion of the story arc. I think the last two books have been the best books in the series after (maybe) the first 3, so the next should be good.

I agree that Sanderson has done very well. I read somewhere (maybe Sanderson's blog?) that Jordan left A LOT of stuff behind for the final arc. Everything from completed chapters to outlines and major plot points, audio dictations, etc.

I have high hopes for the end of the series and look forward to reading it.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote