Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did Amazon kill the Topaz format while no one was looking?

I just heard on Twitter that someone's topaz ebooks were now AZW. I checked the 2 I own and both are now AZW.

Could you check your Kindle ebooks? I'm curious to see if this happened to all the titles.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Isn't the point of Topaz that it can support more complex formatting than Mobi can do? I don't see how a Topaz book could simply be replaced by a Mobi version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I bought the following three days ago:

Ye Will Say I Am No Christian Th-asin_B002LARIUW-type_EBOK-v_0.azw1

Is that Topaz. It seems like it since I cannot change the font in the K3.

The book is "Ye Will Say I Am No Christian": The Thomas Jefferson/John Adams Correspondence on Religion, Morals, And Values.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
hmm, the most recent books i've bought from amazon have the .prc extension with an .mpb sidefile.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
hmm, the most recent books i've bought from amazon have the .prc extension with an .mpb sidefile.
Are you sure? Books bought from Amazon always have an extension of "azw" for Mobi, and "azw1" for Topaz.

The Kindle will certainly read Mobi files with a "prc" extension, but that's self-loaded content.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
B005L789Z0_EBOK.prc is how it looks in the "my kindle content" folder on my PC, with the sidefile to match.

afaik, that's the folder where the purchases drop.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't the point of Topaz that it can support more complex formatting than Mobi can do? I don't see how a Topaz book could simply be replaced by a Mobi version.
My understanding is that Topaz was developed as a quick and dirty method for Amazon to make books available when a publisher had no immediate plans to work on an ebook release themselves. Any book I've had in Topaz (all fiction books) had nothing special to the layout that Mobi can't handle.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
What extension you get depends on how you download them.

K4PC/K4Mac seem to have a uniform PRC or AZW, regardless of which format they actually come in (I just checked with a fresh d/l of two known Topaz books from my archives).

Downloading from the website gives you AZW/TPZ respectively, and wireless delivery to one's Kindle does AZW/AZW1.

There have been a number of books which've apparently come out in Topaz format originally that the publisher has reportedly now switched over to making a Mobi version of.

That may be what the OP's correspondent was referring to.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Topaz is a format to allow book scans to be made partially reflowable. Presumably as soon as a publisher makes a proper ebook version of a title available, it supersedes any existing Topaz version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There actually seems to be more new titles coming out in TOPAZ over the past few months. Two examples are Blood of Ambrose by James Enge and Finch by Jeff VanderMeer. Both are 2009 World Fantasy Awards Nominees. Strangely, Finch is available from Sony in the US as an ePub (so an AZW version should be trivial to produce from the ePub).

On the other hand, Rock Paper Tiger by Lisa Brackmann came out in June as a TOPAZ and is now an AZW.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
There is an interesting article from the creator of the Topaz format where he shares some of the reasons that justify its existence:

http://beesbuzz.biz/blog/e/2010/01/0...evelopment.php

"The format has problems and it's arguably roundabout and circuitous for getting a worse result than a more obvious approach, but it has very good reasons to exist. If the books that are in Topaz format weren't in Topaz format, they wouldn't be in any legal ebook format. The point of Topaz was to prove to an old and established industry that ebooks are beneficial, and provide them an easy means to make it happen so that in the long term, everything will be available as a well-formatted ebook to begin with."
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

K4PC/K4Mac seem to have a uniform PRC or AZW, regardless of which format they actually come in (I just checked with a fresh d/l of two known Topaz books from my archives).

Downloading from the website gives you AZW/TPZ respectively, and wireless delivery to one's Kindle does AZW/AZW1.
This has been my experience, as well.

I have two topaz books in my library... I just re-downloaded them to K4PC... they both have the .prc extension... they are both STILL in the topaz format.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I have one topaz book and 3 samples that I just reloaded for my K3 -- and they aren't indexing. Everything else indexed overnight, but those files and only those files didn't.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Thank you - that explains my confusion; I've only ever downloaded stuff to my Kindle, and that never gives you a prc extension.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some of the Topaz books wouldn't be so terrible if Amazon could port the contrast adjustment they use for PDFs in the K3 to Topaz books. The few Topaz books I've downloaded have had such light fonts that they are difficult to read even on a Pearl screen.