Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth Moon (spoilers)

Wow... time flies. Time to discuss Book 1 of The Deed of Paksenarrion titled Sheepfarmer's Daughter.

I am still working on reading this... so I will check in as soon as I have finished. But, I have enjoyed it thus far and expect to read the full trilogy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I enjoyed it very much, although as some has stated the first book is a bit slow. Book 2 and 3 gets better.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I recently read these as well, and they unfolded nicely, and often in directions I didn't expect.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Cleva
Cleva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I loved it. I read the full trilogy.
Cleva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would definitely buy book 4 if she was ever to come out with one.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
thinkpad
David

I went to Elisabeth Moons space online. The Paksenarrion series originally was written as one long story, it was broken into three for practical reasons when first published. This makes a lot of sense. Just reading book 1 feels a bit slow and incomplete obviously the series wasn't ment to be read as 3 separate books.

There's apparently two books covering the story of Gird:
Quote:
Gird, the patron saint of warriors in The Deed of Paksenarrion, was once a man around whom legends grew. Poverty, hunger, fear, and anger shaped this future leader, whose weakness for drink almost ended his cause--and his life. But his love for "his" people and his innate hunger for justice make him worthy of the legends.
The two books are:
Surrender none and Liar's Oath available from Baen.

Apparently the two books above have been merged into one: The Legacy of Gird:
Quote:
Publisher's Note: The Legacy of Gird was previously published in parts as Surrender None and Liar's Oath. Now we are able to offer both in a single trade edition which, because of its size, will probably never be offered in a mass market edition.

Last edited by thinkpad; 07-20-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Read it and enjoyed it. I'll put the remaining books on my TBR list, but won'y get to them for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
.. The Paksenarrion series originally was written as one long story, it was broken into three for practical reasons when first published. This makes a lot of sense. ...
The change of perspective (or person, or whatever you call it) seemed a little strange to me. The majority of the book is written from Paks view, and then there is one chapter from the tortured captain's point of view. A little strange, but maybe it makes more sense in latter books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've not yet finished book 1. But, I do plan to finish it. It's not all that bad. Just slow in places.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I went to Elisabeth Moons space online. The Paksenarrion series originally was written as one long story, it was broken into three for practical reasons when first published. This makes a lot of sense. Just reading book 1 feels a bit slow and incomplete obviously the series wasn't ment to be read as 3 separate books.
Which is why the whole thing is what was nominated. It's been sold as one book for over a decade and I figured it was similar to Lord of the Rings which folks agreed was one book, but others decided that Deed was three and that Sheepfarmer's Daughter was what would be voted on.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Which is why the whole thing is what was nominated. It's been sold as one book for over a decade and I figured it was similar to Lord of the Rings which folks agreed was one book, but others decided that Deed was three and that Sheepfarmer's Daughter was what would be voted on.
I do think given how slow book 1 or the first part is, we may have had a lot more people not finishing it ever.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find the world in this book to be full and well developed built slowly with small details. Paks as a character is great, engaging and well developed with many layers and depths.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think given how slow book 1 or the first part is, we may have had a lot more people not finishing it ever.
Maybe, I don't know. The first time I read the whole thing it took 4 or 5 days, but I know I read faster than some folks.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
thinkpad
David

Compared to the Mysterious Island (June month book club read) I found it went by in turbo speed , so I guess it's all relative.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I find the world in this book to be full and well developed built slowly with small details. Paks as a character is great, engaging and well developed with many layers and depths.

I agree. The tale of Gird is a 2 part sequel which explains a few things that occur in the later time frame.
The "story" continues with a new book .... "Oath of Fealty" which is the story of Kieri Phelan as king....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Maybe, I don't know. The first time I read the whole thing it took 4 or 5 days, but I know I read faster than some folks.
Quote:
Compared to the Mysterious Island (June month book club read) I found it went by in turbo speed , so I guess it's all relative.
Why are we all in such a hurry? Internet time that most people are on these days drives me crazy. If i don't respond to an email at work within a few minutes I am getting an IM about it. We are so used to the 1 hour TV show which is really 42 minutes of content and every problem gets wrapped up nice an neat when expected.

I think people that read for pleasure probably have more patience than most though.

So, take your time, enjoy the book and don't be in such a hurry for it to move or end. I have never been board reading this book so far.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote