Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Is there another program besides ADE that can download books using ASCM files?

I've seen references that a Sony program exists, or existed, for their readers that can do it, but I have never checked that out.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is there another program besides ADE that can download books using ASCM files?

I've seen references that a Sony program exists, or existed, for their readers that can do it, but I have never checked that out.
The Sony Reader program can be used to download from an .ascm file. The Windows version works OK under WINE on Linux too.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Edit The Overdrive Media Console for Windows also runs under WINE on Linux. It can download library ebooks with Adobe DRM, but I'm not sure if you can use it for books from outside the Overdrive system.

http://omc.overdrive.com/

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-22-2013 at 08:15 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm. Can the Alf plugins get the key from that program? Maybe it would be worth it to look into it as an alternative to ADE.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Both the Sony and Overdive programs use the same Adobe account that ADE uses, so I guess authorizing one of these programs will use up one of your ADE registrations, same as authorizing ADE itself.

I just use ADE version 1.7.2, it is a horrible program for reading or organising the books, but if all you want to do is download the book for reading on another device then it does the job as well as anything.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Both the Sony and Overdive programs use the same Adobe account that ADE uses, so I guess authorizing one of these programs will use up one of your ADE registrations, same as authorizing ADE itself.

I just use ADE version 1.7.2, it is a horrible program for reading or organising the books, but if all you want to do is download the book for reading on another device then it does the job as well as anything.
As said, I think the registrations are not a problem anymore. My Adobe account is used for nothing else. If need be, I'll just empty it or put garbage data in it, and abandon it, and then create a new one using one of my unlimited amount of e-mail addresses.

As I indeed only use ADE to download the books so Alf can de-DRM them, "not being able to read books if you switch ID's" is a moot point for me, and I don't really care how ADE works (or doesn't). It's always emptied after I've got my books cleaned up.
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I wonder what they changed so that Wine doesn't support that program anymore. It's bizarre.
Newer implementation of the .NET Framework that doesn't work with WINE yet. It'll get there eventually (but there'll probably be a newer version of both ADE and .NET by then).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Can't it run on Mono then, eventually? Keepass2 can already, for example. It doesn't require Wine at all.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I had to contact Adobe to get a new device added.

It's really dumb that they don't allow you to deactivate devices to free up new activation slots. Having to contact them each time is really lame.
and very costly to them.

Amazon pretty quickly added "reset furthest read bookmark" when it became a support problem.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you reach your activation "limit", I believe Adobe then allow you one additional activation every six months, or something like that. I know I've never had a problem with it, and I've installed ADE on numerous devices over the years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The Sony Reader program can be used to download from an .ascm file.
That's simply a program that has ADE built into it; it's no different, from the activations viewpoint, to using ADE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Can't it run on Mono then, eventually? Keepass2 can already, for example. It doesn't require Wine at all.
No idea. I tend to just do without if it doesn't run natively on Linux. If I find I absolutely can't survive without a certain program that doesn't have a Linux substitute, then I just use a Virtualbox Windows guest machine to install it in.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #27
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Apparently not

Quote:
ADE 2.0 is a WPF-based application. WPF is not implemented in Mono. Probably, it will never be.
However it goes on to say that you can install native .Net 3.5 under wine and at least one person got that to work.

Personally I'll cross that bridge when I have to. So far 1.7 is working fine. If it ever stops and the new version doesn't work under Wine it'll be a pain but not a showstopper.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I know. Maybe I'm going to try that first, and use that, as long as 1.7 is still supported for downloading books. I can see that Adobe at some point is going to require 2.0

I wonder what they changed so that Wine doesn't support that program anymore. It's bizarre. Nowadays, Wine is compatible enough to run a lot of games flawlessly; it actually runs some Win98-era games that don't run on Windows7 itself... and a simple application such as ADE 2.0 won't work.

To some extent, I have a feeling that Adobe did it on purpose.
No, not on purpose. They switched to .NET 3, and .NET 3 and wine don't play nice together at all.

Quote:
I tried, it failed.

I use mantano on my tablet to get books now.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #29
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I hit the Adobe DRM limit a few years ago when I had 3 1st gen nooks break in a short period of time. I asked them to up my limit, it was done with no issues, and I've authorized a number of devices since with no problem.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #30
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
I'm preparing to see if I can make a full time move to using Linux. As I've been moving to open-source software on Windows for almost 10 years, apart from a few exceptions, this would normally not be a problem.

The exceptions are these:
- A chess program (which is going to run forever in an XP VM, without internet)
- Games (these are going on a separate partition, alongside Windows 7)
- Adobe Digital Editions, to be installed on the Win7 partition.
I switched to Linux some years ago and certainly do not plan to come back though I have a W7 installed for legacy reasons but unused.

- ADE 2.0 requires some kind of Microsoft framework and cannot work with Linux for this reason. I keep ADE 1.7.2 for display purposes only and installed 2.0 on a virtual XP.

- For chess, you can install Scid vs PC which is a fairly advanced program. You can use Stockfish 4.0 (Elo over 3000) as a UCI chess engine (to be compiled). There are also many other good quality free chess engines and you can install other commercial ones if you wish.

- Games: I use few of them but you can try Playonlinux . Remember also that SteamOS will be a Linux distro and that we can expect more and more games in the next months.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote