Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #46
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
well I sort of agree but you omit one important thing. Apple products (in general) work so well and user satisfaction is higher than other brands.
I disagree, there's been plenty of things that didn't work (antenna issue on the 4, battery issue on the 4S, maps and wifi on the 5, screen retention and artefacts on the retina macbook, ...) yet, people continue to sing the song that "it just works". What really works is the marketing department, there is no denying that it is second to none. Apple is not alone is producing duds, but they somehow get a pass and that just baffles me.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I disagree, there's been plenty of things that didn't work (antenna issue on the 4, battery issue on the 4S, maps and wifi on the 5, screen retention and artefacts on the retina macbook, ...) yet, people continue to sing the song that "it just works". What really works is the marketing department, there is no denying that it is second to none. Apple is not alone is producing duds, but they somehow get a pass and that just baffles me.
Don't you understand yet.
It is an addiction when people believe that they just can't get along without "it".

All of us here on this site are addicted to books, to devices, but some are more affected than others.

If Samsung, if Sony, if Asus pulled their products from the market tomorrow, and if in fact if Amazon and Google pulled theirs as well, I would be sad, but still I would firmly believe that I would be ok, that the next group of manufactures in line would do pretty well for what I wanted.

The Apple people would be much more upset. The "magic" would be gone.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
The new connector also has an embedded chip which, apparently, will make it hard to create knock-offs. It's for security though, it's no money grabbing scheme.
I heard that it was supposed to check for the RFID chip embedded in their customers to allow access.

Could this be true?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #49
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
The new connector also has an embedded chip which, apparently, will make it hard to create knock-offs. It's for security though, it's no money grabbing scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I heard that it was supposed to check for the RFID chip embedded in their customers to allow access.

Could this be true?
Considering the number of functions the connector supplies (or supposed to supply), ie USB, charging, audio, video, etc, and is reversible, I would have been very supprised NOT to see some sort of chip in there.

Analysis of some of the chips found in the cable: http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recent...ghtning-cable/

Last edited by 5thWiggle; 10-18-2012 at 07:46 AM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #50
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Considering the number of functions the connector supplies (or supposed to supply), ie USB, charging, audio, video, etc, and is reversible, I would have been very supprised NOT to see some sort of chip in there.
What's wrong with good old-fashioned USB plus HDMI for the A/V outputs? My trusty PlayBook has all that and as far as I know they aren't planning to change it anytime soon. IMHO connectors should be open, not proprietary.

Considering all the Apple iWhatever adapters currently hard-wired into cars, stereos, etc around the world, I consider Apple's latest move to be a pure money grab and a betrayal of their (rabidly) loyal customer base. Will they get away with it? Probably! I'm sure they've looked at the cost-benefit and concluded that they will probably retain 99% of their loyal fans, say, and went ahead with it.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #51
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Apple is not alone is producing duds, but they somehow get a pass and that just baffles me.
Really, they get a pass?
How much press was there about each of those Apple issues, versus the Kindle Paperwhite screen issues, which seem to be hardly covered at all.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #52
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
What's wrong with good old-fashioned USB plus HDMI for the A/V outputs? My trusty PlayBook has all that and as far as I know they aren't planning to change it anytime soon. IMHO connectors should be open, not proprietary.

Considering all the Apple iWhatever adapters currently hard-wired into cars, stereos, etc around the world, I consider Apple's latest move to be a pure money grab and a betrayal of their (rabidly) loyal customer base. Will they get away with it? Probably! I'm sure they've looked at the cost-benefit and concluded that they will probably retain 99% of their loyal fans, say, and went ahead with it.
Nothing at all, I've no problem with USB. I was just commenting on the presence of the chip. I do find the adaptive nature of the connector interesting though, and think the reversable aspect is a great idea. And who knows, it become the next USB - after all Apple initiated and designed much of IEEE 1394 (firewire).

As for the change from one connector to another? Someone's gonna get screwed. Suppose they went from the (Apple proprietary) 30pin connector to micro USB? All those hardwired connectors in cars and stereos are going to need an adapter anyway. I remember a large number of people swearing and cursing when PCs went from EISA cards to PCI cards.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Really, they get a pass?
How much press was there about each of those Apple issues, versus the Kindle Paperwhite screen issues, which seem to be hardly covered at all.
They do indeed. They get to sweep them under the rug with "you're using it wrong", "here's a sleeve, shut up now" and so on. At least Amazon is replacing the Paperwhites, and you must be living under a rock if you haven't seen the backslash against Amazon for the Paperwhite screen issues.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #54
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They do indeed. They get to sweep them under the rug with "you're using it wrong", "here's a sleeve, shut up now" and so on. At least Amazon is replacing the Paperwhites, and you must be living under a rock if you haven't seen the backslash against Amazon for the Paperwhite screen issues.
The Apple maps issue was covered in mainstream media. The New York Times and Wall Street Journal covered it, how much more coverage do you want?

Getting a pass would be news outlets just not mentioning it, or pooh-poohing it.

I haven't seen much coverage of the Paperwhite discolouration issues at all, what coverage there has been has been around the diamond patterns at the bottom of the screen, which are a design 'feature'.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #55
afv011
Captain Penguin

What I mean by "they get a pass" refers to the users, which keep singing "it just works", when obviously that is not the case. For whatever reason, apple users tend to sweep faults under the rug and continue praising the company regardless of this string of mishaps. This is a true testament to the apple PR machine.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
What I mean by "they get a pass" refers to the users, which keep singing "it just works", when obviously that is not the case. For whatever reason, apple users tend to sweep faults under the rug and continue praising the company regardless of this string of mishaps. This is a true testament to the apple PR machine.
I'm not an iPhone person, and haven't switched to iOS 6, so I haven't yet been affected by any of them.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The Apple maps issue was covered in mainstream media. The New York Times and Wall Street Journal covered it, how much more coverage do you want?

Getting a pass would be news outlets just not mentioning it, or pooh-poohing it.

I haven't seen much coverage of the Paperwhite discolouration issues at all, what coverage there has been has been around the diamond patterns at the bottom of the screen, which are a design 'feature'.
The Paperwhite issues aren't of much general interest, it is a tempest in a teapot. Anything to do with iPhone, iPad, yes. The numbers involved for the latter are much larger. There are probably 100 iPhones for every Kindle.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #58
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
So your issue is that the users are happy with their products? Or is it that they don't place as much importance on bugs / problems as you do?

I really don't understand why you seem to care so much. It would be one thing if you we're an apple user, experiencing these issues yourself, but you aren't.

You keep complaining about the apple fanboy mentality, but you do the exact same thing, you're just consistently and tediously negative in your opinions on the company / products while they're positive.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
I think they have so much accumulated goodwill from years of products that have just worked, that people are more inclined to trust them.
The converse of that though is that these sorts of mis-steps, if they continue, could actually be much more damaging to Apple than they would be to other companies, precisely because of how much value there is in the 'just works' branding. That is what makes millions of people feel safe in preordering a product. If there are enough screwups that people start to expect them, Apple will stop seeing those sort of numbers.
It is much easier to lose goodwill than to build it, and much much harder to rebuild it once it has been lost.
Case in point with the Paperwhite, I was really keen on it when it was first announced, and it would probably have been a pre-order for me once it was available in the UK. Now with the issues that have come out it has gone back to a try-first, might-buy device.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

As far as actual Apple device users criticizing Apple products, if they do, even when they have a very legitimate reason to, they often get persecuted beyond belief by the loyalists. I've been an Apple device owner/user on and off since I bought an Apple II+ way back in 1981, which is before many of the loyalists were even born. But try to even ask about short battery life in any iPod touch model, especially on the official Apple forums, and you can expect to be called every name in the book. Apple turns a blind eye to such rude and unjust behavior. However if you retaliate to their vulgar name calling by simply calling them fanboys Apple will ban you for life from their forums. So what I'm trying to say here is that there is little incentive for the average Apple device owner to criticize any device as they have certainly seen what the anonymous loyalists will do to them. They surely won't get a legitimate answer to their question or a workaround to their problem, so why bother....