Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
I have to ask Andy, why so many drives? :P
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
VincentB
VincentB began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Hello, Andy. I'm not sure to understand. Do you mean that it's really possible with the prs 700 to transfer the notes from the reader to the computer? It seems easy, but could you explain precisely the way you did? Is it possible to print the notes? Would be great.
VincentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #18
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Verify B4 you Blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierkonig View Post
My experience with highlighting longer texts has been a disaster -- once you put in 80 or so highlights or notes the reader gets really really really slow. I think that Sony knows this and hopefully will address it with firmware.....
Well I got around to testing your 'theory' with having more than 80 highlights
and notes. I have tested with different scenarios and with small and
large notes and with multiple highlights on same book/page etc etc etc.

Nada, zilch, nope! I can't reproduce your exclusive experience. I am not
saying you are not experiencing what you claim, but to claim this is a mass
production problem it is not. Trade yours in or have service look at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01806.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	23978  
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #19
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That's encouraging, Server, could you please give doubling the amount of notes a try and see what happens?

I'm not getting my 700 until march 6th so I can't fiddle with it yet...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #20
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentB View Post
Hello, Andy. I'm not sure to understand. Do you mean that it's really possible with the prs 700 to transfer the notes from the reader to the computer? It seems easy, but could you explain precisely the way you did? Is it possible to print the notes? Would be great.
i dont want to seem snarky but

1. Plug in the reader
2. Open Sony Reader
3. go to the book.

read the screen shot, You cant export all of them in one click, but you can view and copy them like i said in the screen shot
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
I have to ask Andy, why so many drives? :P
TV shows mostly.

4 300 gb drives (1 networked but its just as fast as if its in my computer since its only large data files)
1 320 gb drive (external)
1 1tb drive
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #22
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
if you Must Annonate an Ebook. there is seriously no better solution than a Laptop or Tablet, Ebook readers seriously are just for reading. the 700s notes section is just ment for small little notes on the text and bookmarking, You cant even view just the notes for a single book i believe.
That's really unfortunate because any teacher of reading and writing will tell you that we don't only read with our eyes but we also read by interacting with the text using "pen". Perhaps the technologists who develop eReaders need to rethink what reading practice is actually like. It's not just glossing the eye over text. It's actually interacting with it in a more physical way in addition to using the eye.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
That's really unfortunate because any teacher of reading and writing will tell you that we don't only read with our eyes but we also read by interacting with the text using "pen". Perhaps the technologists who develop eReaders need to rethink what reading practice is actually like. It's not just glossing the eye over text. It's actually interacting with it in a more physical way in addition to using the eye.
can you explain more of what you mean?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
Johnny Cakes
Johnny Cakes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
i dont want to seem snarky but
read the screen shot, You cant export all of them in one click, but you can view and copy them like i said in the screen shot
I don't want to seem dense, but your screen shot seems like a tutorial on how to create an annotation, so I must be missing something. I think the question is how to get them off the PRS700 and onto to the computer (e.g. word processor) so that they can be used further.

Could you explain that?
Johnny Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
el.astrologo
Groupie

Hey Johnny, how are you?

I think what AndyBaby is trying to say is that the screen he has captured is pretty much what comes up when you select an ebook on the Sony Library... The upper window just shows you what you have highlighted and annotated. I suppose you can "extract" those notes by simply right-click on them and selecting "Copy" and then "Paste" them on a Word doc or whatever.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Andy

Cheers

Last edited by el.astrologo; 02-27-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
Andybaby
Wizard

Exactly right.

That Note Was Created on the 700.

its about how to read notes, which is exactly how you make them too.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #27
kitlaan
kitlaan began at the beginning.

database/cache/cacheExt.xml ?

Not sure if anyone has investigated this, but when I mount the reader, the internal storage has this file: database/cache/cacheExt.xml

The file looks like it contains all the highlights that have been made.

For example, here is one of them (for a PDF file):
Code:
<text path="Reference/AccuRev_User_CLI.pdf">
	<markups>
		<annotation date="Sat, 28 Feb 2009 04:05:21 GMT" name="The AccuRev command line interface is implemented by a program named accurev. You can use this tool" page="6" pageOffset="0" pages="256" part="0" scale="0" synced="true">
			<end>I3BkZmxvYyg4NzBiLDYsMTY1LDAsMzEsMCwxLDEpAA==</end>
			<start>I3BkZmxvYyg4NzBiLDYsMTI3LDAsMCwwLDAsMSkA</start>
			<comment>this is a test note</comment>
		</annotation>
	</markups>
</text>
Most of the tags are pretty straightforward.
  • the path to the file (path attribute of text element)
  • the time the highlight was made (date attribute of annotation element)
  • the first 100 characters of the highlight (name attribute)
  • what page of the book, etc
  • and of course, the note associated with the highlight, if any. (comment element)

The start and end elements seem to be BASE-64 encoded. Decoded, the text is:
  • start: #pdfloc(870b,6,127,0,0,0,0,1)
  • end: #pdfloc(870b,6,165,0,31,0,1,1)

the ",6," must be the page of the book (0-indexed). The rest, I'm not sure as of yet. More experimentation needed.

LRF files seem to have a different decoding, into a binary format. For example, "QmViQiAAAAAnPVIHBAAAAAAAAAAW5AIAAAAAAAAAAAA=" turns into,

00000000 42 65 62 42 20 00 00 00 27 3d 52 07 04 00 00 00 |BebB ...'=R.....|
00000010 00 00 00 00 16 e4 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|

Guess this is a start for someone to chew on. I'll probably look into it more as the days/weeks go on.
kitlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
Zzz
Zzz began at the beginning.

Device: K2 (for now)
Thanks for the info. XML file for the annotations? That could be very helpful for parsing. Like for adding note extraction in calibre. Or something...
Zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
can you explain more of what you mean?
Yes. The best way to understand something we read and to retain information is to interact with the text rather than just passively move eye from line to line to line. You can do the latter when reading for leisure but it's not a very skillful way of reading when you need to retain information and/or when you are working out the meanings and contradictions of an argument.

When reading an article (or book) for example, it's helpful to mark areas of the book where the main arguments appears, where you have doubts about something being explained, where a piece of information is useful for your study (or in my case, research, since I'm a scholar). It's also helpful to mark areas where you don't understand but think is important but in the interest of getting the larger picture you will return to that difficult passage later.

These are all ways of interacting with the text that move us beyond just eye glossing from line to line to line. Do the companies or people who create these digital technologies understand this at all? This is really rather basic and fundamental reading skills!
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
kitlaan
kitlaan began at the beginning.

Finally had more time to briefly look into the XML format for the annotations.

For the LRF decoded BebB string, bytes [12-15] are the page objid (as defined in the LRF file) and bytes [20-23] seem to be some offset into that page. I haven't quite deciphered the other bytes as of yet. I plan to fiddle with calibre to verify that the bytes are indeed offset-in-page.
kitlaan is offline   Reply With Quote