Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #166
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczmilk View Post
Everything looks fine, no errors etc., but my Kindle is not booting up in diagnostics mode. My guy is still there... yep, under the tree No progress bar etc.

If that's indexing problem how can I manually remove all of my books from Kindle? Under Windows (ekhmm, sorry ) Kindle is not detected as a drive.
Errm, does the screen change at all? At any point in time? It might just be broken otherwise... You should see actions on the USB port in such a case, though, maybe even a disk drive, which you mention you don't....

If there's no progress bar showing up, it is not an indexing problem (given that the screen is not broken).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #167
kaczmilk
kaczmilk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My screen is only flashing from time to time (every 5-10 min) it means it is going to be white and than my favourite man under the tree appears. No progress bar is showing up though and I saw no other screens since my Kindle problem occured.

Maybe my device should be called "Kin...die" isntead of "Kindle"

Last edited by kaczmilk; 03-11-2013 at 12:21 PM.
kaczmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 AM   #168
kaczmilk

Hmmm.... I really don't know how to explain this, but I woke up in the morning and my Kindle is in a diagnostics mode finally! So my device was left 3 full days in a charger. It seems this guy under the tree has just finished his book

So another solution for frustrated part of Kindle society. Leave it in a charger and go for holidays.

I'll keep fighting today.

EDITED: Launched Kubrick CD, flashing device once more, Kindle restarted and... guy returned under his tree. So maybe booting takes 12 hours or so. But why? Maybe there is some corrupted book in a file system or simply there is no more space on Kindle device and I should remove some files?

Can you give me an advice how can I mount my Kindle so I can delete all of unnecessary book stuff?

Last edited by kaczmilk; 03-12-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #169
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Hmmm.... I really don't know how to explain this, but I woke up in the morning and my Kindle is in a diagnostics mode finally! So my device was left 3 full days in a charger. It seems this guy under the tree has just finished his book

So another solution for frustrated part of Kindle society. Leave it in a charger and go for holidays.

I'll keep fighting today.

EDITED: Launched Kubrick CD, flashing device once more, Kindle restarted and... guy returned under his tree. So maybe booting takes 12 hours or so. But why? Maybe there is some corrupted book in a file system or simply there is no more space on Kindle device and I should remove some files?

Can you give me an advice how can I mount my Kindle so I can delete all of unnecessary book stuff?
When it returns to diags mode -
Use the menu item to "export USB" (your USB storage) -
Connect USB cable to your PC - remove and/or delete books like you normally would do -

For this "very long startup time" situation, I would suggest copying them **all** off - to eliminate the "bad book" possibility.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #170
kaczmilk

After whole day of waiting, diagnostics mode finally appeared. I removed all files from documents folder using USB device mode and now my Kindle is booting up in less than 2 minutes! Thanks a lot! What a difference.

I passed the whole procedure with Kubrick but... and now another problem, as usual
I can't quit diagnostics mode. First problem with message "no device_info.xml file" is already solved by creating an empty file device_info.xml. Kindle is than restarting fine and is not displaying error message but it is still entering diagnostics mode after rebooting. Any ideas how to turn it off?

EDIT: I found a topic similar topic https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171485 and I'm trying with that.

Last edited by kaczmilk; 03-13-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #171
kaczmilk

Sorry for disturbing you in this topic. I tried to connect my Kindle Touch via SSH to disable diagnostics mode. I connected KT with USB to my PC and enabled USBNetwork in diagnostics mode. Tried to connect ssh to the IP address displayed on KT and I can't. Netowrk error. I can't even ping this IP address. Any ideas? It seems to me that I'm facing all possible problems with this device.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #172
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Sorry for disturbing you in this topic. I tried to connect my Kindle Touch via SSH to disable diagnostics mode. I connected KT with USB to my PC and enabled USBNetwork in diagnostics mode. Tried to connect ssh to the IP address displayed on KT and I can't. Netowrk error. I can't even ping this IP address. Any ideas? It seems to me that I'm facing all possible problems with this device.
all the typical configuration issues that a first timer faces. Exiting Diags, Setting up ssh and PC side networking. etc.

more notes please on the exact configuration and commands you are running.

otherwise it is just guesswork for us.

Your PC config, type of machine. have you tried nmap. What have you tried? you mention ping but the exact commands give us more to go on.

knc1 has posted a nice huge thread on configuring ssh. heres one whats docs are you referencing? the readme is not effusive, better threads exist

you have checked the ssh process is running also? I put together a thing that spat out my boottime processes when I was trying to track down where my ssh had gone (the prboom thread amongst others IIRC)

thanks

Last edited by twobob; 03-13-2013 at 11:47 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #173
kaczmilk

Thanks for the useful link. I'm in fact first timer because I just want to reanimate my Kindle. Kindle support told me that the only think I can do is actually use it as a frisbee
I found also another post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176344 so I'll try. The problem is that this forum is very active and you guys are very helpful so now "serach" finds a lot of links and threads Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #174
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fine. Just start a new thread with your issue. This is about Kubrick.

Please, put the exact commands and configuration for better help.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #175
elbirch86
elbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4 Black
Hi I've been trying to get a K4 out of demo mode, I've downloaded the required Kubrick file and followed the read me instructions to get It onto USB stick. But my windows vista PC won't boot from it, keeps coming up with Boot error also tried to do it via DVD and can't get that to work either. Any ideas were I could be going wrong. Thanks Emma
elbirch86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #176
twobob

erm...

honestly no.

it wont boot IN WHAT WAY?

I have done that like 3 times...

you HAVE set it to actually boot from a disk right?

Like in the BIOS?

Try slapping F9 when it boots to get a bootloader screen option...

(I answered this same point just a few pages ago more fully)

: )
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #177
elbirch86
elbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheese

Hi, yes went into the boot loader menu by clicking F12 selected boot from USB stick and then a black screen appears saying boot error at the top, nothing happens. I did try checking back though the post to see if anyone has had the same problem but coundnt see anything will look again.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #178
twobob

USB sticks are notorious for failure.

No its fine. I meant the "starting bootloader screen issues" I answered more fully.

The CD is the option I have always used.

You say you tried that? It's a fairly ancient mechanism (And required to install windows) thus is the best - widest - supported.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #179
elbirch86

I tried with DVD will try again tomorrow with CD and see how I get on, wouldn't mind but its not even for me, my brother brought it and didn't realise it was Demo only and he hasn't got a clue about computers
Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #180
decat88ba
decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.decat88ba writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch ftw
AWESOME!

Had 5.1.2 but Mr Kindle wanted to update itself real bad, failed because of the hacks, tried again, draining battery like crazy.

Tried manually removing every hack, one by one, for hours, to no avail.

Finally managed to thoroughly read this post (instead of skimming through it) and it was all working wonderfully after just a few minutes (except downloading the 600mb iso, man that was a bummer).

You guys rock.

Particularly ixtab, who never seems to receive as much thanks as he deserves.
decat88ba is offline   Reply With Quote