Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #31
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I don't think you'll find us apologizing for being anti-DRM. There are very compelling reasons for that stance, and I'd hope any author or publisher coming here to learn about e-books in general would educate themselves about DRM in particular.

There's nothing to fear: make books we can buy, and we'll buy the books.

Exclude us, and we pretty much can't, can we?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Well some writers are very nervous about ebooks in general. Its a start at least. Maybe he could be convinced to put it in SONY's format too. But on this site I see a lot of talk about how to strip DRM from mobipocket books. That kind of talk will make authors who are anti-ebook just more so. A format that can only be read on a device and not anywhere else propbably hold a lot of appeal to writers like Goodkind.
The same code that breaks Mobipocket, breaks AZW. And broken AZW is Mobipocket.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #33
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Excuse me. I didn't see any reason why it wasn't the case. Especially coming from a writer who in the past has shown he doesn't like ebooks. Frankly there is no reason for a writer not to decide they want there ebook in one format only. There are plenty of books that are ONLY in mobipocket so why not ONLY kindle? I have seen quite a few kindle only books by some mystery writers I like and as far as I can see Ian Fleming's James Bond books are kindle only. So far I haven't seen kindle books being stripped of DRM and that has to be some comfort to writers who have been nervous about this inthe past.

Personally it doesn't matter to me . I have a kindle, love it and I also still love reading regular books. So if something isn't on the kindle, I read it in paperback. Kindle only makes up about half of my reading. So I don't worry to much about it either way if a book is an ebook or not.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11745
Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #35
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I don't think you'll find us apologizing for being anti-DRM. There are very compelling reasons for that stance, and I'd hope any author or publisher coming here to learn about e-books in general would educate themselves about DRM in particular.

Exclude us, and we pretty much can't, can we?
Ok thats fine I guess but stripping DRM and then posting the book all over the internet or emailing a copy to your friends is not ok at all. A writer has a right to royalties and a right to protect those royalities. It entirely different with a paperback. You have a copy that you can pass on to your friend. With an ebook you could pass hundreds of copies on to people and that should make writers and publishers nervous. Not that I think the current DRM is so great. Its a pain more than anything with remembering PIDS and having bookstores and libraries change them for you .
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #36
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Ok thats fine I guess but stripping DRM and then posting the book all over the internet...
Can you show me where anyone on MR has advocated that? As to emailing an e-book to a friend, I'll agree with you on that when you agree never to share any of your books with a friend, and agree to never check out a book from a library again.

However, if we're going to have that discussion, let's start a new thread, as I'd like to see this one stay on topic in regard to WFR being Kindle-only.

Better yet, let's not have that discussion at all, since it's already been had here. Several times. I'd simply end up repeating my new mantra:

Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
There are plenty of books that are ONLY in mobipocket so why not ONLY kindle?
Mobipocket is supported by different readers that are being sold all over the world. Today you can read mobipocket on Cybook, in 2 years time on bebook.
On the other hand, Kindle is......
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can listen to the 33 hour unabridged version from Audible.com if that helps.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Well started thread!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Apparently I had a use there from 2006....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #41
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thought that might be you. Good.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems to take a long time to get activated over there.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #43
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

It seems like a good community, but I can't really get active in it until I become a fan, which requires reading the book, which I can't do because it isn't in a format I want to buy. But we all knew that, didn't we? Yes, T. We did.

What we might want to avoid is the appearance of being MR spammers. I tried hard to be a good little representative. Their Leader is going to ask the man himself, so it should be interesting to see the reply!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I won't be spamming but I will support, as a Kindle user, all other ebook readers and formats.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just signed up and now when logged in, I don't have access to even read posts.

Tags
duck!