Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #391
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
This may sound like a troll but I loved my Paperwhite and it had a pure white screen.

At least some of us are happy with it.
what happened with it ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #392
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yeah, Simaru, what happened to your pure white Paperwhite?

(Maybe Amazon came to confiscate the only good one so they can take "real" product pictures )
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #393
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I hate that the replacements seem to be not much, if any better, than the originals. While I personally don't have color issues, I do have a band of brighter light in the upper left-hand corner. It isn't too bad, only really visible on a blank page, but I know it's there. If the replacements were actually better I would return it for a 'good' one. But seeing all the problems listed here, I think I should just keep what I have since it doesn't bother me much. It isn't noticeable while reading, so I guess I will live with it. Better that then risk getting a worse one.

Sad though.. Once I have had my Kindle at least a full week I will put a review on Amazon's page. And I definitely will take into account all the defective screens, including my own. I like Amazon as a company, but I think they failed here.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #394
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I hate that the replacements seem to be not much, if any better, than the originals. While I personally don't have color issues, I do have a band of brighter light in the upper left-hand corner. It isn't too bad, only really visible on a blank page, but I know it's there. If the replacements were actually better I would return it for a 'good' one. But seeing all the problems listed here, I think I should just keep what I have since it doesn't bother me much. It isn't noticeable while reading, so I guess I will live with it. Better that then risk getting a worse one.

Sad though.. Once I have had my Kindle at least a full week I will put a review on Amazon's page. And I definitely will take into account all the defective screens, including my own. I like Amazon as a company, but I think they failed here.
Try a replacement. You can keep your still, just make sure you return one within 30 days of them sending you an email with a return label. My first one had, amongts other things, three too bright areas, apart from the ever present bottom light cones. The replacements did not, they just had other issues.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #395
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
This may sound like a troll but I loved my Paperwhite and it had a pure white screen.

At least some of us are happy with it.
Loved? Had? Past tense?

I guess whatever happened to it is the reason you won't post pics.

Which, yes, makes you sound like a troll.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #396
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Still have it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
what happened with it ?
I still have it. Maybe my grammar was bad.

BLOL

Here is the picture of my unit:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=193078&page=2

Scroll down on that page. Its #7 from the top.

The photo shows a blue line on the left border. Someone told me that is a normal shadow from a light source to the left which happened to be my window.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #397
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I still have it. Maybe my grammar was bad.

BLOL

Here is the picture of my unit:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=193078&page=2

Page down on that page. Its #7 from the top.

The photo shows a blue line on the left border. Someone told me that is a normal shadow from a light source to the left which happened to be my window.
Can we see it in a darkish room with the light meter on-screen showing the highest setting? It looks like most of the lighting in that shot is coming from an external source.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #398
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone feel like taking apart their scanner, unplugging the light, and scan their defective Paperwhites? It's just a theory. I tried scanning my PW with my scanner but I couldn't detect any issues because of the bright light coming from the scanner.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #399
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Dark room photo of PW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Can we see it in a darkish room with the light meter on-screen showing the highest setting? It looks like most of the lighting in that shot is coming from an external source.
Here is the PW how it looks with the PW light at 22 in a dark room:

After trying this, I'm definitely leaving my PW light at the default 22 of 24 in all light environments even though Amazon recommends reducing the light level there.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #400
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Here is the PW how it looks with the PW light at 22 in a dark room:

After trying this, I'm definitely leaving my PW light at the default 22 of 24 in all light environments even though Amazon recommends reducing the light level there.
I guess the pink and green hues are not visible to you? Such as the pink in upper right corner? I suppose it would be even more apparent at 24.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #401
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I guess the pink and green hues are not visible to you? Such as the pink in upper right corner? I suppose it would be even more apparent at 24.
At level 22 all three of the PWs I had would have lit up the room quite nicely. No way I could read at that high of a light level! The glare and eye strain would have been brutal.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #402
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
With every picture that gets posted it just proves more and more that the color problem exists on all of them. The color blotches are very obvious on sirmaru's to me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #403
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
With every picture that gets posted it just proves more and more that the color problem exists on all of them. The color blotches are very obvious on sirmaru's to me.
Yeah. I won't say "I wish I was colorblind" because that's an absurd thing to wish, but evidently it can have at least one specific advantage.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #404
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazons attitude has definitely changed from the last time I called for a replacement, last Saturday. I called last Sat. and got a projected delivery date of Nov. 15th. That Monday (Columbus Day) I got a call for a nice lady saying they upgraded me to overnight shipping and it arrived Wednesday. Then I called today (same issues on replacement) and they are sending another ASAP, without needing the nice lady to expedite things.

Like I said on my Amazon review, Amazon needs to send out survey emails to everyone who ordered with clear real world pictures of a good Paperwhite and a defective Paperwhite for easy comparison. At least I got a extra USB cable this time around for all the gas and packaging tape I wasted returning Kindles!
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #405
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I see it, but with his, I think it is much more minor that most of others. (unless it is the camera, of course)

As long as he's happy with it, good for him.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote