Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Some recommended freebies.

I recently read "The Ratcatcher" by Kate Rothwell, which is a freebie from her website:

http://katerothwell.blogspot.com/

(sorry, don't know how to turn words into links.)

I thoroughly recommend this. It's a cross between an historical novel/gritty romance/detective story. The blurb I dowloaded describes it thus:

"A gaslight historical romance set in New York in 1884...Innocent Callie Scott lived a sheltered life until she ends up trapped in a raid on a house of ill-repute. That's only the start of her run of bad-luck. Two days later, she must turn to help from the same detective who has already witnessed her at her worst: tipsy and behaving like a fool. Officer Cutter doesn't need the complication of a well-bred innocent in his life, but he still finds himself offering her a job. His discovers he must now act as protector to the same young lady he desires - and who wants him."

It's much better than the blurb makes it sound.

"Black Silk" by Jan Gordon is a book I'd recommend for those who love paranormal spiciness. Not to give too much away, this is a romance with a difference. It's available at Feedbooks and Smashwords. I downloaded it from the latter as I prefer the formatting:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3726

If you like cats, are female, and want some hot romance, this is for you.

Lots more, but I'll leave it at this for now.

Have fun.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks, BookCat, I'll have to check out "The Ratcatcher" by Kate Rothwell.

I read, "Black Silk" by Jan Gordon (JanG on MR), and loved it.

Her blurb on feedbooks....
Quote:
Victoria Hudson is 29 and lives in the kind of small town where everyone knows everyone else. She has two great loves in her life -- her cat, Mister, and reading books from her used bookstore.

She doesn't see her life changing much in the future. She's stuck. Until one night when she's saved from probable danger by a mysterious stranger.
Steven Colburn has moved around quite a bit during his lifetime, never really finding a place where he felt he could be comfortable. Until he buys an old homestead, and fate steps in to forever change his life and that of one of the town’s quiet entrepreneurs.
A light romance with a paranormal twist.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I've got this big Cheshire Cat type grin on my face now!

Dreams and BookCat. Between feedbooks and smashwords, Black Silk has had more than 10,000 downloads.

--JanG.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I've got this big Cheshire Cat type grin on my face now!

Dreams and BookCat. Between feedbooks and smashwords, Black Silk has had more than 10,000 downloads.

--JanG.
You are welcome.. Sooo.... are you working on book 2 in that same genre?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
You are welcome.. Sooo.... are you working on book 2 in that same genre?
Yep. Working on a sequel. There's going to be a lot more fur in the sequel. The prologue and chapter one are written, but I ground to a halt, not because the muse isn't with me, but because my kids keep getting sick. Or, I have to do that dreaded thing called housework, and I can't in all honesty sit and write while the house is dirty can I?

Anyways, the book is plotted, profiles have been written on all the new characters, I have reams of notes, I even have the final scene and the epilogue (I like something to aim for). I will get to it, and I will finish it.

With so many downloads on Silk, all my friends are telling me I should charge for the next one, but I'm still inclined to let it go for free. I keep telling myself that if I'd charged for Silk, then I probably would only have had a couple of hundred downloads.

I enjoy writing, and I do it for my own amusement. Yes, this is my first original, but I've been writing fan fiction for years, it's a good hobby.

Oh, the sequel is called "Black Heart" and I won't say who has the black heart, there are a couple of candidates.

Sorry, got a little long winded in my reply

--JanG.
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Wow! That sounds great! I can't wait until you have it done.. and, yes, life does seem to get in the way of fun stuff.. I hope the kids are well now.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, you can count with another download I'm going to begin with it when I finish with the book I'm reading now.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Just finished "Black Silk" ! I really enjoyed reading this one, and you can count on me for your next one, JanG !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same for me JanG, I've liked it a lot.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I read Black Silk and thought it was well-written, but much too short. It needed a little more build-up for me. It was like he sees her once and it's true love...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
POSSIBLE SPOILER: I thought that was part of his nature. He's impulsive and immediately recognises the kinship between them: she has the same gene albeit in a recessive form.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Yep, classical behavior with truemates in shape-shifters "history".
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Yep, classical behavior with truemates in shape-shifters "history".
I totally agree
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I read Black Silk and thought it was well-written, but much too short. It needed a little more build-up for me. It was like he sees her once and it's true love...
Silk is a novella and therefore necessarily short. If you're old enough to remember "The Flying Fickle Finger of Fate" then you'll know that Fate pops up in the most unexpected of places!

The sequel, on which I'm working, will be longer and somewhat darker.

Thank you for your kind comments on my writing.

--JanG.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
JanG
Groupie

Idoine and Terisa, so glad you enjoyed Black Silk.

--JanG.