Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #46
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by thp1017 View Post
I find it somewhere between amusing and appalling that so many of the reviews for the H2O always talk about how it is heavier, bulkier, etc., than the Paperwhite - well, duh, its a bigger screen
Still I have to agree: The depth/bulk of the Aura H2O to me makes it uncomfortable to hold.
Additionally, they got rid of the "fold" on the back we saw on Aura HD.
I find Aura H2O rather difficult and inconvenient to hold.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #47
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
I tested both, 3.7.0 and 3.8.0.

3.7.0 is the official firmware whough, so I went with that for the whole review. For the hyphenation issue it doesn't matter anyways. It's now present in both firmwares.

3.7.0 is the official firmware though, so I went with that for the whole review. For the hyphenation issue it doesn't matter anyways. It's not present in both firmwares.

Fixed typos.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #48
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post

3.7.0 is the official firmware though, so I went with that for the whole review. For the hyphenation issue it doesn't matter anyways. It's not present in both firmwares.

Fixed typos.
Finally a review that actually is a review. Thanks.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #49
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Finally a review that actually is a review. Thanks.
+1 to this. Thank you. Even poorly translated to English it's still an excellent review. It'll be interesting to read the thoughts of allesebook.de on how the Kindle Voyage compares to the H2O when it's released.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #50
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I think there's a law that no Kobo review, positive or negative, can go by without at least one profoundly wrong assertion. Here's the Daily Fail:

Quote:
All the self-adjusting lights and ultra hi-res pages Voyager can muster are rather irrelevant – when it comes to the crunch, I just want to read lots of books for as little money as possible.

That’s where Kobo falls down. Like most e-readers, it’s a bit of a financial Trojan horse: cheap(ish) to begin with, but you’re locked into buying from Kobo for ever more, much like purchasing a Nespresso machine leads to a lifetime of spending all one’s disposable income on coffee capsules.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I think there's a law that no Kobo review, positive or negative, can go by without at least one profoundly wrong assertion. Here's the Daily Fail:
It doesn't help that even Kobo's own Customer Service people don't know any better, when I rang up about my Format Disc error on H20 number 2 I was asked why I wanted to use my kobo with a PC, surely downloading books from my Kobo account over wifi was good enough
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #52
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
I've just got my Aura H2O and loaded the first books onto the device - it seems a very good device, the screen size is perfect, letters are very crisp - recommend to any book lover. However, I noticed the screen without backlight is slightly grey/yellow(-ish), i.e. it's not as white as most photos show. It goes white when I turn on the backlight. Is this the issue with my particular unit or does the Carta look that way in reality?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's entirely normal.

It's not a backlight, by the way, it's a frontlight. An eInk screen is opaque, and hence can't use a backlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #54
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Good to hear that - was wondering if I got some faulty unit or something

Happy New Year Guys (which is in 80 minutes where I live)!
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #55
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
I have a question as well. I just got a H20 and the lights at the bottom the middle one is leaking out. Is that supposed to happen? For example if I tilt the device little I can see that light when I can not see the others.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #56
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If it only has the light leak at very low angle that would never be used for reading then it can be used without problem and is not really defective. Should use it for a few days, if it really bothers you to extent you can not use it to read, return for replacement. Maybe I can ignore minor light problems easier than others. It is your reader live with it or return it your choice.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
I have a question as well. I just got a H20 and the lights at the bottom the middle one is leaking out. Is that supposed to happen? For example if I tilt the device little I can see that light when I can not see the others.
That's not normal and you should try to get the H2O replaced. Even if you don't see it in normal reading, you'll always know it's there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #58
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not normal and you should try to get the H2O replaced. Even if you don't see it in normal reading, you'll always know it's there.
I will try to get it replaced, but I hope it doesn't turn it like kindle where no matter how many replacements I got it didn't solve it.

Do you have the same light issue or are your lights perfect in the sense that they don't leak out?

It annoys me to a degree as I know it's there and if I look at bottom screen I always see it.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
I will try to get it replaced, but I hope it doesn't turn it like kindle where no matter how many replacements I got it didn't solve it.

Do you have the same light issue or are your lights perfect in the sense that they don't leak out?

It annoys me to a degree as I know it's there and if I look at bottom screen I always see it.
My H2O does not have any unusual light leak. if I turn it to an angle you cannot rea at, you can see the five lights at the bottom. But when you turn it back to the normal reading angle, the lights are no longer visible at the bottom. The slight shading at the bottom is normal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #60
Elaxon
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My H2O does not have any unusual light leak. if I turn it to an angle you cannot rea at, you can see the five lights at the bottom. But when you turn it back to the normal reading angle, the lights are no longer visible at the bottom. The slight shading at the bottom is normal.
I didn't get it from Kobo but a retail store. If not the retail store wants to take it back could I ask kobo to replace it?