Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kindle price down to $425 on Ebay

If you're outside the US and want a Kindle, now is a good time to start looking on Ebay. There are a number of sellers who will ship internationally with a Buy It Now price of $449. Unless Amazon decides to ship outside the US, I don't think the Kindle will get much cheaper.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buyers outside the US need to take great care before buying, especially if commercial eBooks are of interest to them. It's very difficult to buy commercial content for the Kindle for people outside the US, without the use of conversion tools which many people may find off-putting (and which, depending on where they live, may indeed be illegal for them to use).

Another issue to bear in mind is that, if you purchase from outside the US you are, in effect, buying a device without a warranty - you won't be able to get a warranty repair.

I honestly could not recommend the Kindle for non-US purchasers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If someone from outside the US buys a Kindle, can it be registered with Amazon to be able to purchase Kindle Editions?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Registered - yes. But you can't purchase Kindle ebooks without a US credit card.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Registered - yes. But you can't purchase Kindle ebooks without a US credit card.
Well one couldn't use the current wireless features but can't you purchase books and download them to a desktop to be installed? Or do you mean that Amazon will not sell you a Kindle book unless you have a US credit card?

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
Or do you mean that Amazon will not sell you a Kindle book unless you have a US credit card?

Bob
That is indeed the situation, Bob. Amazon aren't alone in adopting such a policy - Sony do exactly the same in their eBook store (although one can buy gift vouchers for that which provide a reasonably straightforward "workaround" for non-US owners).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Well one couldn't use the current wireless features but can't you purchase books and download them to a desktop to be installed?
That's true, but it's not what I was talking about.

Quote:
Or do you mean that Amazon will not sell you a Kindle book unless you have a US credit card?
Correct.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is indeed the situation, Bob. Amazon aren't alone in adopting such a policy - Sony do exactly the same in their eBook store (although one can buy gift vouchers for that which provide a reasonably straightforward "workaround" for non-US owners).
Wow. That seems pretty short sighted. I admit that I think the wireless features of the Kindle are a major feature but if someone outside the US were willing to pay the premium for the Kindle just to get access to the larger selection of books it seems like a poor business practice to deny them.

Thanks for the info Harry.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Wow. That seems pretty short sighted. I admit that I think the wireless features of the Kindle are a major feature but if someone outside the US were willing to pay the premium for the Kindle just to get access to the larger selection of books it seems like a poor business practice to deny them.
I can see how frustrating it must be for non-US residents, but it may be understandable for Amazon, as they still don't have enough in stock for immediate shipping. Just maybe, they'll change their policy when they catch up on the manufacturing backlog. OTOH, Sony has plenty of Readers, but has the same shortsighted policy.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I can see how frustrating it must be for non-US residents, but it may be understandable for Amazon, as they still don't have enough in stock for immediate shipping. Just maybe, they'll change their policy when they catch up on the manufacturing backlog. OTOH, Sony has plenty of Readers, but has the same shortsighted policy.
They will have hardware changes for whispernet and need CE testing for Europe and other testing for the countries they wish to support. It all takes time and costs money. You can't just decide to start shipping all over the world.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

FYI

I think I may have found a way around the US credit card limitation. If it works, I'll post an explanation.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd still like to know even if it doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd still like to know even if it doesn't work.
Even though you can pay for a Kindle ebook with a gift card, you still have to have a US credit card attached to the account. So if someone outside the US had a valid card number, he could pay for Kindle ebooks without actually putting a charge on the credit card.

I'm not going to share my credit card number, of course. But I am going use VisaBuxx to set up a limited value debit card. This card would have about $5 on it, which is okay because it is only there to satisfy Amazon. The Kindle ebooks will be paid for with gift cards.

I used this program about three years ago, and don't remember what the fees were. My bank is a member of this program, so they should be minimal.

P.S. If anyone wants to try it, the address is www.visabuxx.com. It might take me as much as a week to get the new card number.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I use PayPal's pseudo-Mastercard plug-in to pay for my Kindle purchases.

PayPal generates a valid MC number but takes the funds from whatever funding source you use with PayPal, say your bank account. This allows me to use PayPal with Amazon even though they don't accept PayPal directly. There is no additional fee for doing using this service.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...Plugin-outside

One of the other features of this plug-in is that you can generate 1 time use credit cards specific to that business so that you don't have to worry about someone gaining access to that credit card number, etc. etc. You can optionally generate a multi-use business specific number as well, as I have with my Kindle account, so that you can charge multiple times without having to generate new numbers every time.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Does Paypal let you fake the billing address on the fake credit card, or is it the same as your original address?