Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #46
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
It's okay. Like others have mentioned, there are much worse things a person could spend their money on.
I see it the same way. Unless a book is published by Penguin, if I really want it, I wait for the price to drop and then buy it. If it's part of a series and new, I don't wait and even preorder it. I get 5-8 hours of reading pleasure out of a book (I know that now thanks to my new Kindle PW), and it's about the price of going to a 2 hour movie.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
For a while I thought you were crazy buying so many books - probably more than you can read. Never knew you are merely switching from p to e.
I don't drink, or smoke; I have friends who spend way more than I do at the pub every weekend . I don't think that books are such a terrible way to spend my money .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't drink, or smoke; I have friends who spend way more than I do at the pub every weekend . I don't think that books are such a terrible way to spend my money .
Not the money. I meant the amount of books you buy. More than you read. And not a bad crazy either - a good crazy ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I plan to do a LOT of reading when I retire .
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I plan to do a LOT of reading when I retire .
Good luck then. Maybe by the time you retire, all your books are going to be classics
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #51
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am on a tight budget (and its getting worse next year), but I still spend about 25 EUR a month for ebooks. I am planning to give myself a budget of 10 EUR / month next year. There is enough free literature around, and my TBR-list is still long.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #52
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I see it the same way. Unless a book is published by Penguin, if I really want it, I wait for the price to drop and then buy it. If it's part of a series and new, I don't wait and even preorder it. I get 5-8 hours of reading pleasure out of a book (I know that now thanks to my new Kindle PW), and it's about the price of going to a 2 hour movie.
How does the PW track that?
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It has an optional "reading time" indicator at the bottom of the page, which is an estimate of how long it'll take you to finish either the chapter or the book, based on your current reading speed. I thought it was a "gimmick" when I first got the PW, but it's extremely useful.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #54
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Starting to read this thread I got curious. Stupid move.
Discovered that my Amazon Account page for digital orders was 8 pages long. The sneaky bastards makes you click on every order for you to figure out how much you spend. Well, lucky me, because I save all my Amazon receipts. On the US store I've spent $873.38. I've only had my K4NT for six months, that one is registered in the UK store. Not as bad, only £213.78. I've also spent a little sumthin sumthin on BoB and some other fringe eBook stores like Dito. I doubt it comes to $100 total though.
Me thinks it's about time I set up a little Excel sheet for my eBooks.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #55
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It has an optional "reading time" indicator at the bottom of the page, which is an estimate of how long it'll take you to finish either the chapter or the book, based on your current reading speed. I thought it was a "gimmick" when I first got the PW, but it's extremely useful.
It does sound awesome. I wish Amazon would copy the Kobo achievements and stats for the iPad app. It is really neat.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #56
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Same here - especially reference books. I'd love to see some of my most-used references, like the "Oxford Classical Dictionary" or the "Oxford Bible Commentary" as eBooks, but I doubtthere's the market for it to ever be economically viable.
Au contraire, wouldn't it make more sense to publish that kind of material as eBooks. Enhanced search capabilities, easy to upgrade and a lot cheaper distribution considering how hefty these tomes tend to be.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #57
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
It does sound awesome. I wish Amazon would copy the Kobo achievements and stats for the iPad app. It is really neat.
Now it's your turn to tell us what that is!
Reading time: in the lower left hand corner at the very bottom of the page, you can toggle between time left in chapter, time left in book and position in book. It's awesome. You can plan exactly when to finish a good book - plan into our life that is, or start a new chapter.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm squarely between "too much" and "not enough to bankrupt me".
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #59
Quake1028
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Now it's your turn to tell us what that is!
Reading time: in the lower left hand corner at the very bottom of the page, you can toggle between time left in chapter, time left in book and position in book. It's awesome. You can plan exactly when to finish a good book - plan into our life that is, or start a new chapter.
The Kobo app on iPad has stats and achievements. Things like read X many books, read for X many hours, etc. The stats are overall, not on a per book basis, but they include pages read, total time read, pages per hour, etc. Pretty neat.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I spend about $100-$150 a month on books. This includes my Audible membership.

I read mainly romances, some cozy mysteries and urban fantasy. For me reading keeps me calm and gives me an escape from real life. When I am feeling stressed, worrying or upset I can pick up my Kindle and just leave it all behind. It relaxes me and is good for my blood pressure and fast beating heart.

This is how I justify spending so much:

I've had to give up so much in past years due to my health. I can't have soda, coffee or tea or any alcohol. I can't eat anything spicy or Italian (Tomatoes and Sauces) so I haven't had a pizza in years and I can no longer eat Chocolate since 4 years ago. Most Veggies are out too and I love Salads. Even fruit except the dried kind. I can't even have a greasy cheese hamburger. *sigh*
So with all that money I save on the stuff I can't eat I buy books instead. I don't have any other hobbies so when you break it all down it isn't alot.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote