Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
I have a Kindle 3, and some mangas can be read very nicely. The text reads perfectly even in portrait mode.
Before I used KindleManga, because it was the faster option that did the job. Now I use Mangle because it outputs smaller files and the white margins are smaller.
All this with 20th Century Boys. Different mangas may give different results.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I don't like reading PDF on my Kindle. All my comics, which are mostly color, are read on my iPad. My Kindle is for my ebooks and RSS feeds.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #18
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Ok. I have Highschool of the dead chapter 1 on my kindle and I have to say that it is just so-so.

I downloaded it and used "mangle" to arrange the images (a hell of a lot of work since it messes up the order of the images when I add a whole directory).
The images themself are nice. Covers tend to be in color and I saw a red on black on the cover that was more like black and a lighter shade of black. So very very hard to read.

But the worst part is the text. Roughly 2 out of 5 images are impossible to read without zoom.

So on the main question: with the limited amount of time I spent on adding images (maybe I did it all wrong but I had not a lot to go on) I have to answer: "No". At least not out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2 View Post
I have a Kindle 3, and some mangas can be read very nicely. The text reads perfectly even in portrait mode.
Before I used KindleManga, because it was the faster option that did the job. Now I use Mangle because it outputs smaller files and the white margins are smaller.
All this with 20th Century Boys. Different mangas may give different results.
I missed this reply when I posted.
Mind PM'ing me a sample of 20th Century Boy (1, 2 or 3 images) so I can compare it?

It could also be the source I used that is not suited for kindle+manga.

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-19-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

I received the sample "20th Century Boy"-images from lordvetinari2 and can say these are looking the same as the "HOTD chapter 1" I used. EXCELLENT image quality, no argument here, but to me the letters are way too small.
I found out some shortcuts (q 'zoom in' and w 'zoom out' and e 'reset zoom') and that makes the letters better readable but makes the images too large having to use the arrows to navigate sucks even more
Old 10-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
to me the letters are way too small.
I found out some shortcuts (q 'zoom in' and w 'zoom out' and e 'reset zoom')
Did you try F to go to full screen? It will probably not help much, if you cannot read the letters in the sample I sent without going to full screen.

I normally only have problems with the text outside speech bubbles, which is much smaller and with lower contrast. You know, some authors use these to say things indirectly, aimed at the reader rather than at the other characters. That's when I need to zoom in.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2 View Post
Did you try F to go to full screen? It will probably not help much, if you cannot read the letters in the sample I sent without going to full screen.

I normally only have problems with the text outside speech bubbles, which is much smaller and with lower contrast. You know, some authors use these to say things indirectly, aimed at the reader rather than at the other characters. That's when I need to zoom in.
I know what you meant with the writer talking to the reader (I have several manga's at home (death note, bleach and blood+).

It is probably just me: I have 1 eye with a deviance(spelling?) of -10.25 (even my optometrist went "wtf"). and when I get tired I hate reading small print
So for someone else it might work; unfortunatly not for me but I read books alot more than manga :+
Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Ericthegreat
Ericthegreat began at the beginning.

Device: none
If it isn't too much to ask could we get a pic or 2 of where the text is too small?
Ericthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

From: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103359
See: http://adq.livejournal.com/109612.html

It's a manga viewer for a (jail broken) Kindle

Does anyone here have a good quality picture of a Death Note book
Now I have a L as screensaver but a death note would be pretty cool
google images came up blank (just a few pixs of the actual book you can buy).

edit: update.
Since it uses BZR files it's a lot easier to use this than to arrange images.
I downloaded elfenlied ch1 as a bzr and those look amazing. Even text is brighter/darker than with the 1st jpg/png images I tried.
I am going to try to start reading some manga's on it and will report back.

It takes a while to load but this file is 48 Mb so...
Sample images:
1. http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5...enshot6560.gif
2. http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5...enshot6561.gif
3. http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/5...enshot6562.gif

Just 1 issue: text bottom right (where she "thinks") is a bit small.

Wim

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-21-2010 at 05:56 PM.