Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Unsynced kepubs show up as on device in Calibre

Perhaps this is question for the Calibre thread, but since it is also very Kobo-ish, I'm trying here first.

Since the delicious new 2.4.0 firmware feature where you get to choose which kepubs you want to sync to your device and which you don't... Calibre tells me all the books I bought from Kobo are on the device.

More specifically: I have 48 kepubs in my Kobo account. I have perhaps 2 of them synced to my device. I downloaded the epub version of 29 of the Kobo books and have them in my "Kobobooks" Calibre library. I have sideloaded 4 of these epubs to my device.

Now, whenever I plug in my device, Calibre tells me all the 29 books are on the device, while in truth, it's only 4. Apparently it sees the kepubs that my device has a record of even if the kepubs are not on the device.

Since I only have 4 epubs sideloaded, I can still remember which they are and which I still have to sideload... but [when my battery testing finishes] I want to put more than 4 books at a time on my device and I want to be able to see in Calibre which epubs are and which aren't on the device.

Is there any way to stop Calibre registering unsynced kepubs as on-device-epubs?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, that's how it works. When I made the last changes to add the "Archived" collection in the device list, I didn't think of this. I'll have to think about how to handle this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll have to think about how to handle this.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Actually it wasn't all the kepubs that showed up as on device. For some reason, only a subset of them (maybe 10?). Didn't seem to be a logical selection.

At the risk of messing things up, I deleted the kepub references. Most were put in just by copying over the .kobo/kepub folder (I think) from my old to new (replacement) Glo anyway...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I would be interested in a fix for this too...thanks in advance.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Actually it wasn't all the kepubs that showed up as on device. For some reason, only a subset of them (maybe 10?). Didn't seem to be a logical selection.
The only reason for it not being all is if the epub and kepub don't have exactly the same title and authors. And I wouldn't be to surprised if that was the case.
Quote:

At the risk of messing things up, I deleted the kepub references. Most were put in just by copying over the .kobo/kepub folder (I think) from my old to new (replacement) Glo anyway...
The copy won't have done anything. The device ignores the kepubs in that folder unless they have been downloaded from the server. Or it did the last time I tested. If you also copied the database, then things would be different as it would contain the appropriate details for the kepubs.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
The only reason for it not being all is if the epub and kepub don't have exactly the same title and authors. And I wouldn't be to surprised if that was the case.
Hm... Weird. I can't imagine so many of them having dissimilar authors/titles for two formats of the same book. But oh well.

Quote:
The copy won't have done anything. The device ignores the kepubs in that folder unless they have been downloaded from the server. Or it did the last time I tested. If you also copied the database, then things would be different as it would contain the appropriate details for the kepubs.
Actually yes, I did also copy over the database. I just mentioned the .kobo/kepub folder because Calibre showed me that folder as "the format" of the book.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hm... Weird. I can't imagine so many of them having dissimilar authors/titles for two formats of the same book. But oh well.
That's how it should work. I know Geoff was commenting on differences in the authors. One version whas "LN, FN" and the other was "FN LN". Multiple authors might also break the matching.

Quote:
Actually yes, I did also copy over the database. I just mentioned the .kobo/kepub folder because Calibre showed me that folder as "the format" of the book.
That's good, because everything should be consistent.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am not sure if this is related or not, David. I just bought two kepubs. I added the adobe non drm versions into calibre so I could have them as backup and on my shelves. One of the kepub books showed up as on device, the other did not.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

It does and it doesn't Knowing someone else is seeing a problem always helps.

Could you tell me exactly what the title and authors are for both books in both calibre and on the device? From that, I should be able to see why they do or don't match.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both are by Barbara Fradkin: Honour Among Men (showed up), The Whispers of Legend (didn't). Another book, The Burgess Boys: A Novel by Elizabeth Shrout also does not show.

Last edited by taming; 04-04-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Both are by Barbara Fradkin: Honour Among Men (showed up), The Whispers of Legend (didn't). Another book, The Burgess Boys: A Novel by Elizabeth Shrout also does not show.
Are the authors and titles printed exactly the same as epub in Calibre and as kepub on the device?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are the authors and titles printed exactly the same as epub in Calibre and as kepub on the device?
Yes, I need exactly what is in the two places. As you started the topic, do you have a couple?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I need exactly what is in the two places. As you started the topic, do you have a couple?
I'm afraid I don't at the moment. I deleted all the kepub references from Calibre and I don't remember which of the kepubs showed up as on the device. Plus, I don't have a cable with me to recreate the situation. I might find a bunch of time this weekend.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Both Barbara Fradkin novels, Honour Among Men (which does show up, and The Whispers of Legend (which does not) have different titles in the kepub and epub versions. For Adobe ADE books, only the titles I gave are listed. In the Kepub version, there is a hyphen and then "An Inspector Green Mystery".