Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #1066
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Murg, a little request: can you reverse the order of the firmwares in the first post?
Yes! Most recent at the top.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #1067
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Murg, a little request: can you reverse the order of the firmwares in the first post?
I'll think about it.

I think I thought about this at some point in the past and decided to keep it in time order.

It really isn't that difficult to scroll down to bottom of the post...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #1068
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It really isn't that difficult to scroll down to bottom of the post...
It's not extremely difficult but it's definitely harder than opening a thread and seeing what the latest version is at a glance.
It's a pretty long scroll and you can miss the end of the first post if you're not careful. Probably not a big deal for those who spend a lot of time on these forums anyway, but for those who only come once in a while for a quick check on what's new it might be somewhat of a nuisance.
This thread is useful as hell either way, but some extra usability might make it even better
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #1069
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
One for completists perhaps, Kobo Desktop 3.5.2 (Win) - 02dfdef0d8, 20 Jan 2014 - is still available from the site below. The same site also has a Mac download, I don't know the release number for this version.

http://rakuten.kobosetup.com/
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #1070
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post
It's not extremely difficult but it's definitely harder than opening a thread and seeing what the latest version is at a glance.
It's a pretty long scroll and you can miss the end of the first post if you're not careful. Probably not a big deal for those who spend a lot of time on these forums anyway, but for those who only come once in a while for a quick check on what's new it might be somewhat of a nuisance.
This thread is useful as hell either way, but some extra usability might make it even better
Pretty much the best indication of a new release is a thread in the regular Kobo forum with a version number after the last one you remember seeing.

When someone posts that a new version is out, and there isn't a thread for the new release, I'll create one.

I'm a full service poster! And I'll never tell you to do a factory reset. Well, mostly never...
Advert
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #1071
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I think the way it is now, is the best.. by scrolling you can see the other firmwares and quick release notes from firmwares before.
You can see the changes,you can see features added where u think, that is the way i want it, or u can see problems with it.
If you only place the new ones on top,not much people will have a reason to scroll lower,and miss some features, the latest one isn't always the best,but most of the time it is the most undocumented one.
It is nice to scroll by them and see the list of improvements grow, or just to pick one you like,with not all the new functions,because you will never need them.
Just my personal opinion.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #1072
murg
No Comment

There are also times where the latest release for your particular device is not the latest release. The Mini is usually behind the times.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #1073
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
There are also times where the latest release for your particular device is not the latest release. The Mini is usually behind the times.
Probably true, but...

I've been using the latest release on my Mini, IIRC, for over a year now. So far, so good.

But then, I'm just stirring Murg, so just ignore me.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #1074
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Another FW 3.11 manually installed in an H2O without any kind of trouble. Mark 5 (Aura, not Aura HD/Glo/Touch) version used.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #1075
ammadeusy
ammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: pw3 & pw4
thank for posting the firmwares, great help.
ammadeusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #1076
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For those who might be interested, there is a new firmware release for the Kobo WiFi ereaders.

The link is Mark 2 1.9.12 firmware
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #1077
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I hope that doesn't mean another round of bricked WiFi devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #1078
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I hope that doesn't mean another round of bricked WiFi devices.
Not sure if that is going to happen but I wouldn't bet against it.

I was expecting the update this time so I pulled an image of my N289's internal uSD card before doing the update (actually two images, one with my setup and ebooks, the other after a reset). However, it is still working after the update as both the Kobo synced and sideloaded ebooks are visible and Calibre and the Kobo Desktop see it happily.

One quick question though is if you know if the serial number is found at locations other than 0x200 and 0x15049200 for the Kobo WiFi image?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #1079
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if that is going to happen but I wouldn't bet against it.

I was expecting the update this time so I pulled an image of my N289's internal uSD card before doing the update (actually two images, one with my setup and ebooks, the other after a reset). However, it is still working after the update as both the Kobo synced and sideloaded ebooks are visible and Calibre and the Kobo Desktop see it happily.

One quick question though is if you know if the serial number is found at locations other than 0x200 and 0x15049200 for the Kobo WiFi image?
In the image I have, it is at 0x200. But, not at the other. I've always assumed the second one is the serial number in the version file. If it is, then it will be reset by the firmware. Zeroing it before sending the image out is a good idea, but hopefully it doesn't seem necessary to restore it.

As you have a working WiFi, could you try the time date experiment I mentioned here? I'd like to know if the report I have is right or not. I can see it affecting what the device shows in its library, but I can't see how it would prevent books being shown to the OS when connected.

Also, can I get a copy of the image for my collection?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #1080
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In the image I have, it is at 0x200. But, not at the other. I've always assumed the second one is the serial number in the version file. If it is, then it will be reset by the firmware. Zeroing it before sending the image out is a good idea, but hopefully it doesn't seem necessary to restore it.

As you have a working WiFi, could you try the time date experiment I mentioned here? I'd like to know if the report I have is right or not. I can see it affecting what the device shows in its library, but I can't see how it would prevent books being shown to the OS when connected.

Also, can I get a copy of the image for my collection?
I set the clock to Jan. 1, 2013 which was the earliest I could set it to -- 2013-2030 seems to be the current range for years. Both Kobo synced and sideloaded books I had on the device showed up in the listing. When I connected to my computer, I could see the sideloaded books and the kepub files.

I'll PM the link to the firmware file.

The WiFi was on 1.9.12 when I was running the test.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-09-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added firmware version during testing